Author Topic: Court determines military burn pits caused lung disease in service members  (Read 360 times)

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
The thousands of U.S. military personnel and private contractors whose health was compromised by the dense black smoke of burn pits - and who were then denied proper treatment - may finally be vindicated by a recent court ruling.

A judge under the U.S. Department of Labor’s Office for Workers’ Compensation Programs decreed last month that open-air burn pits -- where thousands of chemicals were released into the air after trash and other waste were incinerated at American military bases in Iraq and Afghanistan -- are connected to lung disease, Fox News has learned.

The decision marks a victory for the nearly 64,000 active service members and retirees who have put their names on a Burn Pit Registry created by the Veterans Administration, bringing them one step closer to getting adequate medical coverage, something that has never been guaranteed. Private contractors who were also exposed to the burn pit toxins also have been denied coverage.

“This case has legitimized the disease,”  former contractor Veronica Landry of Colorado Springs, whose case was a part of the recent ruling, told Fox News. “There are many people out there who are still not getting the treatment they need.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2018/02/15/court-determines-military-burn-pits-caused-lung-disease-in-service-members.html
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Suppressed

Re: Court determines military burn pits caused lung disease in service members
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 01:42:13 pm »
Thing is, we knew better... and private companies would have individuals facing criminal charges...

...but this us the military, so nope.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 01:44:36 pm »
OSHA on the battlefield, this should be interesting.

Guess this explains what happened to my lungs
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 01:45:17 pm »
Thing is, we knew better... and private companies would have individuals facing criminal charges...

...but this us the military, so nope.

That's why I got signed up on the VA's burn pit registry. I've been dealing with them since Somalia.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2018, 01:46:26 pm »
OSHA on the battlefield, this should be interesting.

Guess this explains what happened to my lungs

My breathing on APFT runs has been crap since I got back from Afghanistan. It's part of the reason I switched to the walk.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2018, 01:51:43 pm »
I didn't even know there was a registry.  Of course I've blocked most of my military career from memory on purpose.

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2018, 02:01:59 pm »
I'm so sorry for you all.  COPD and lung disease are horrible; I wouldn't wish them on an enemy ;(.  And I appreciate your service -- it's awful you are suffering now because you were put in stupid avoidable situations.
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2018, 02:06:44 pm »
Thanks Laura, I actually think most of my problem is due to working underground in crappy air.   Lots of diesel trucks going in and out but not enough ventilation.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2018, 02:25:29 pm »
That's why I got signed up on the VA's burn pit registry. I've been dealing with them since Somalia.

From the article:

“Employer [KBR] and Carrier [AIG] are liable for all past, present, and future reasonable and necessary medical treatment related to claimant’s work-related post-traumatic stress disorder and deployment-related lung disease,” reads the order.

Will this apply to Veterans automatically @txradioguy ... or will our Vets need to take separate legal action?

I've heard rumblings about this from some who served in the Mid-East--but this is the first time I've seen any details.  Sorry you're affected by this.  I hope you get what you need for as long as you need in health care paid by the VA.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2018, 02:42:31 pm »
From the article:

@Right_in_Virginia
Please  ****slapping me for not reading the article before commenting.  I deserve a  22222frying pan, too.

That being said, I hope all who were exposed get the best treatment we can give, and that the effects are as minimal as they can be.  While this should never have happened the way it did (I'm not talking about battlefield exigencies), I'm glad it's being addressed.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2018, 02:45:00 pm »
@Right_in_Virginia
Please  ****slapping me for not reading the article before commenting.  I deserve a  22222frying pan, too.

That being said, I hope all who were exposed get the best treatment we can give, and that the effects are as minimal as they can be.  While this should never have happened the way it did (I'm not talking about battlefield exigencies), I'm glad it's being addressed.

LOL.  I just posted that from the article because I was wondering if this would automatically extend to our Vets. 

****slapping  wasn't on my radar, so no worries.... :laugh:

@Suppressed

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2018, 04:49:47 pm »
From the article:

Will this apply to Veterans automatically @txradioguy ... or will our Vets need to take separate legal action?

I've heard rumblings about this from some who served in the Mid-East--but this is the first time I've seen any details.  Sorry you're affected by this.  I hope you get what you need for as long as you need in health care paid by the VA.

@Right_in_Virginia I'm not sure if the ruling covers those of us in the military directly...but it does strengthen any cases folks like me will file with the VA for burn pit related health issues.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2018, 04:50:53 pm »
I didn't even know there was a registry.  Of course I've blocked most of my military career from memory on purpose.

Check your PM's

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2018, 05:01:07 pm »
@Right_in_Virginia I'm not sure if the ruling covers those of us in the military directly...but it does strengthen any cases folks like me will file with the VA for burn pit related health issues.

Good luck @txradioguy !!  We can be a pretty powerful voice ... here and elsewhere ... so let us know if and how we can help.   :patriot:

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2018, 05:02:44 pm »
Good luck @txradioguy !!  We can be a pretty powerful voice ... here and elsewhere ... so let us know if and how we can help.   :patriot:

Thank you I will.