Author Topic: Fla. shooting survivor pleads for gun control: ‘We are children, you guys are the adults’  (Read 12095 times)

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
If we are subject to the whim of 9 justices in black robes as holy writ - then liberty is truly finished.

But we are, aren't we?

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Given some of the other 'rights' you've argued in favor of on this board, coming from you I find this comment amazing.

How your mind must work.

@skeeter
In his world you have a right to: (despite not being in the Constitution)

1.  kill unborn babies
2.  marry the same sex
3.  enter the country illegally
4.  confiscate peoples property

BUT you don't have a right to bear arms, despite it being in the Constitution.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
Abortion is not a right, individual self-determination is.  Abortion is subject to various sorts of regulations and restrictions.   As for homosexual marriage,  you simply reveal your ignorance.  Same sex marriage implicates the Constitutional requirement of the law's equal protection.  Your neighbors' decision to marry under the civil law doesn't affect you or your life in any way whatsoever.   

Jazzhead, I agree with you here on the substance.
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline LauraTXNM

@Bigun   We might want to be a little careful about referencing Israel as an example.  Their gun laws are pretty restrictive.  Permits are granted to those in existing security positions and the rest are trained to assistant in a terrorist attack.

P.S. Yes, our Bill of Rights makes us unique.  It also requires us to find especially AMERICAN solutions to our problems.  I don't think any other country has the answer -- but they might have some helpful ideas.
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
I guess I see it a bit differently.  Yelling, "Fire!" In a crowded theater should not be protected speech.

Well then let us license and regulate all speech of every kind - especially political speech, because the precedent is we cannot yell "fire" in a crowded theater.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline LauraTXNM

We are not in a state of rebellion against tyranny.  We have a Constitution, idiot.

But we DO have some special rights guaranteed by our BoR that would help us in that instance.

Offline skeeter

@skeeter

1.  kill unborn babies
2.  marry the same sex

5. force people to violate the tenants of their faith, provided they're Christians.

Offline driftdiver

Abortion is not a right, individual self-determination is.  Abortion is subject to various sorts of regulations and restrictions.   As for homosexual marriage,  you simply reveal your ignorance.  Same sex marriage implicates the Constitutional requirement of the law's equal protection.  Your neighbors' decision to marry under the civil law doesn't affect you or your life in any way whatsoever.   
@Jazzhead
Can you say disingenuous?

Where is self-determination listed in the Constitution?   What about the babies rights?

As for the marriage issue.   Any man could marry any woman.   Any woman could marry any man.   Thats equality baby.

What my neighbor does impacts me, the community, the county, the state and the country.   

Offline driftdiver

5. force people to violate the tenants of their faith, provided they're Christians.

Howd I miss that one?   thanks!

Offline LauraTXNM

Well then let us license and regulate all speech of every kind - especially political speech, because the precedent is we cannot yell "fire" in a crowded theater.

Do you think the Skokie Nazis had the right to march?

Offline LauraTXNM

@Jazzhead
What my neighbor does impacts me, the community, the county, the state and the country.

Definitely.  But where do we draw the line against someone impinging (sp?) on our interests? 

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
@Jazzhead
Yet that right of self-defense is also under attack.  CA, Chicago, NY, and Mass all restrict self defense to some degree.

I'm not sure specifically what laws you're referring to, but if they effectively prevent a law-abiding citizen from defending his home and property, then I join you in seeking to declare such laws unconstitutional.   The Heller decision involved just such a law,  that effectively prohibited an individual from lawfully having a handgun in the home.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
@skeeter

1.  kill unborn babies
2.  marry the same sex

That's, of course, not what I'm saying at all.  But I hesitate to lead this discussion off-topic by debating same sex marriage and abortion. 

Online Right_in_Virginia

P.S. Yes, our Bill of Rights makes us unique.  It also requires us to find especially AMERICAN solutions to our problems.  I don't think any other country has the answer -- but they might have some helpful ideas.

You miss my point @LauraTXNM .... Highlighting the gun policy in Israel can easily be turned against gun ownership in the US.

Private gun ownership in Israel, if allowed, is used as an arm of the police and the IDF with mandatory training for rapid response in a terror attack.  It is a privilege with responsibility to the state, not a right.

Opening this can of worms may not be helpful.

Offline driftdiver

Definitely.  But where do we draw the line against someone impinging (sp?) on our interests?

@LauraTXNM
Well one place might be to look at the last 200 years of what was considered socially acceptable throughout this country. 

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Interesting -- I thought the ownership was higher than 2.5%.

@LauraTXNM @Right_in_Virginia

IMHO all that means is that we have a huge advantage over them that we are refusing to put to use!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter

So what?  What you do impacts your neighbor, in the same sense.  But your neighbor isn't causing you any HARM simply because you disapprove of his or her lifestyle. 

Online Right_in_Virginia

IMHO all that means is that we have a huge advantage over them that we are refusing to put to use!

I think the argument for arming security in schools can be made--and better made-- without the Israel reference @Bigun

Why invite putting Israel's private gun laws under a microscope?  :shrug:

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Private gun ownership in Israel, if allowed, is used as an arm of the police and the IDF with mandatory training for rapid response in a terror attack.  It is a privilege with responsibility to the state, not a right.

Opening this can of worms may not be helpful.

You could say the same thing about the Second Amendment, you know.   Remember the predicate clause about the "well-regulated militia".   

Offline driftdiver

That's, of course, not what I'm saying at all.  But I hesitate to lead this discussion off-topic by debating same sex marriage and abortion.

@Jazzhead
Its absolutely what you are saying.  Of course you're using more gentle language but we've all seen what happens.  We all know what the goal of the gun control advocates really is, because they've told us.   The only acceptable solution for them is a total ban on civilian ownership.  Every other 'reasonable' law is just one more stop down that slippery slope.

For folks like you increased laws on law abiding citizens is your only solution.  You refuse to look at the real causes of violence. 

Offline LauraTXNM

Agreed ;).  I tangentially mentioned Israel a while ago, because I admire their system of universal service and therefore gun destigmatization and familiarity. 

Offline driftdiver

You could say the same thing about the Second Amendment, you know.   Remember the predicate clause about the "well-regulated militia".   

@Jazzhead
Now you know better then that.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
I think the argument for arming security in schools can be made--and better made-- without the Israel reference @Bigun

Why invite putting Israel's private gun laws under a microscope?  :shrug:

@Right_in_Virginia

I'm not inviting any such thing!  I'm just pointing out that their approach to the problem is the correct way to deal with this kind of thing.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
@Jazzhead
Its absolutely what you are saying.  Of course you're using more gentle language but we've all seen what happens.  We all know what the goal of the gun control advocates really is, because they've told us.   The only acceptable solution for them is a total ban on civilian ownership.  Every other 'reasonable' law is just one more stop down that slippery slope.

For folks like you increased laws on law abiding citizens is your only solution.  You refuse to look at the real causes of violence.

I won't engage you on slippery slope arguments.  They are bogus and intellectually weak.   

Of course we need to focus on the real causes of gun violence, same as we need to focus on the real causes of motor vehicle accidents.  But that has nothing to do with the social benefits of licensure, registration and insurance.   

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
@Jazzhead
Now you know better then that.

I do - I accept Heller's conclusion that the right to self defense is an individual, natural right.  But the predicate clause of the 2A is not inconsistent with a regime such as what we find today in Israel.