Author Topic: DeVos: Apprenticeships, Vocational Education are Top Trump Priority  (Read 488 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

DeVos: Apprenticeships, Vocational Education are Top Trump Priority
Task force meeting explores ways to make alternative education more successful

Betsy DeVos / Getty

BY: Charles Fain Lehman   
February 6, 2018 4:10 pm

Expanding apprenticeship and vocational education are a priority of the Trump administration, Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos said Tuesday in a meeting of the Department of Labor's specially chartered Task Force on Apprenticeship Expansion.

"Apprenticeship expansion is a priority for President Trump, as he demonstrated by establishing the task force last summer," DeVos said. "In the State of the Union address, he called on everyone, not just the Department of Education, or Labor, or Congress, or Washington, everyone to invest in workforce development, and job training, and great vocational schools so our students and future workers can learn a craft and realize their full potential."

The task force was chartered in accordance with a June executive order, and is now jointly chaired by DeVos, Secretary of Labor Alexander Acosta, and Secretary of Commerce Wilbur Ross. Other members represent a diverse group of educational, labor and industry interests, focused around the question of how to diversify skills education in the U.S. economy.

more
http://freebeacon.com/politics/devos-apprenticeships-vocational-education-top-trump-priority/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: DeVos: Apprenticeships, Vocational Education are Top Trump Priority
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 03:50:38 pm »
EXCELLENT!  They should be!

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 04:19:12 pm »

I am all for apprenticeships and vo-tech but the priorities in my book:

Eliminate Common Core and eliminate federal dollars being tied to federal mandates.

Eliminate all federal interference in education period.

Allow states to establish educational standards perhaps in partnership with other states and or with private enterprise, and encourage states to give more autonomy to local school districts and eliminate the need for the constant testing (and teaching to the tests) and let teachers teach.

Encourage school choice and give parents tax breaks for private, parochial and qualified home schooling.

Then eliminate the DOE, shut the doors and replace with a voluntary and unpaid rotating commission made up of teachers (public, private and non-union), parents, perhaps even some exceptional children and private industries that includes representatives from various industries including the areas of STEM and Vo-Tech that meets a couple of times a year and publishes recommendations, not mandates, that schools may decide to follow.

So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 04:21:26 pm »
I am all for apprenticeships and vo-tech but the priorities in my book:

Eliminate Common Core and eliminate federal dollars being tied to federal mandates.

Eliminate all federal interference in education period.

Allow states to establish educational standards perhaps in partnership with other states and or with private enterprise, and encourage states to give more autonomy to local school districts and eliminate the need for the constant testing (and teaching to the tests) and let teachers teach.

Encourage school choice and give parents tax breaks for private, parochial and qualified home schooling.

Then eliminate the DOE, shut the doors and replace with a voluntary and unpaid rotating commission made up of teachers (public, private and non-union), parents, perhaps even some exceptional children and private industries that includes representatives from various industries including the areas of STEM and Vo-Tech that meets a couple of times a year and publishes recommendations, not mandates, that schools may decide to follow.

You'll get no arguments from me on any of that my dear!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online roamer_1

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 04:31:29 pm »

YEP this is good, if it offers tax and wage breaks for hiring apprentices. And if the apprentice is a good lad, and the company wants to send him on for vo-tech training, The company should pay, and that cost should be wholly deductible.

If it is just an expansion of the college system, where Uncle Nanny subsidizes colleges to offer crap degrees in crap subjects, and then puts a ring in the student's nose for nearly the rest of his life in the form of a loan that must be paid back regardless of whether the education actually got you a job...

If it is more of that, it is just as worthless.