Author Topic: Unique Viking Runes Discovered In Denmark  (Read 478 times)

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
Unique Viking Runes Discovered In Denmark
« on: February 01, 2018, 01:20:18 am »
Science Nordic
Jan 15 2018

@truth_seeker

[excerpt]

http://sciencenordic.com/unique-viking-runes-discovered-denmark

A comb with a runic inscription of the word “comb,” perhaps doesn’t sound so sensational. But it is.

The comb dates to the early Viking Age around 800 CE. Just a handful of runic texts from this period exists.

The comb was discovered during excavations of a Viking Age market place in Denmark’s oldest town Ribe.

Alongside the comb, archaeologists also discovered a runic inscription on a small plate of bone or antler.

Together, the two objects reveal details from a crucial period of Viking history, says archaeologist and excavation leader Søren Sindbæk from Aarhus University, Denmark.

“These are the runes we’ve been missing. We’ve waited generations to be able to dig into this,” says Sindbæk.

Anyone else want in on the Viking ping Thing?

BTW: 'Thing' in the original defined a political/geographic area overseen by a Chieftain.

It covered turf, legal responsibilities of the Chieftain, and his 'Thingmen'. (everyone who was part of his Chieftaincy)

Courts were referred to as 'Thing', meaning a legal proceeding Assembly of the Thingmen.

My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Re: Unique Viking Runes Discovered In Denmark
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 01:29:26 am »
I doubt it. Those runes are almost certainly somebody's name. Why would anyone write the 'comb' on a comb?
Did they write the word 'cup' on their cups? Did they write the word 'sword' on their swords.

I am in no position to disagree with a respected runologist, but I do. I disagree with her finding based solely on common sense.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 02:14:09 am »
I doubt it. Those runes are almost certainly somebody's name. Why would anyone write the 'comb' on a comb?
Did they write the word 'cup' on their cups? Did they write the word 'sword' on their swords.

I am in no position to disagree with a respected runologist, but I do. I disagree with her finding based solely on common sense.
These folks were pretty simple, even common. In America some were known as "dumb Swedes."
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 02:37:15 am »

Hi @240B

Vikings were obsessed with decorating everything they made. And while it's possible, could be the maker just didn't have anything deeper to say on this one. :)

However, My guess is that this maker was doing more than just combs.

This piece Could have been marked by them to distinguish it from part of another item they were making as they stacked up on his/her work bench, like a Handle for a flensing tool to scrape the inside of raw animal hides clean of flesh and fat before assembling it and riveting it, as a handle, to a piece of sharpened bone.

And the video also suggests that it could have been a personal name "Tobi".

The old language itself is highly inflected, and words we use today, concepts, are totally missing in it, while others serve multiple meanings we don't associate with them.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 02:42:36 am by To-Whose-Benefit? »
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 03:38:26 am »

Ever see someone put a license plate frame that says Porsche on their Porsche?