Author Topic: Kilopower Project: NASA Pushes Nuclear Power for Deep-Space Missions  (Read 985 times)

Offline kevindavis007

Many of our most ambitious space missions to space have been made possible using nuclear power. On Thursday (Jan. 18), scientists and officials from NASA and the Department of Energy gathered at the National Atomic Testing Museum in Las Vegas to discuss the Kilopower project, the next generation of nuclear power plants for future space missions.

In the past, NASA has used radioisotope thermoelectric generators (RTGs) to power spacecraft like Voyagers 1 and 2, the Apollo Lunar Surface Experiments Packages, and the Curiosity rover. This device directly converts heat from decaying plutonium into electricity. It has no moving parts, making it ideal for applications in space. However, it is not terribly efficient. Nuclear reactors can take advantage of active nuclear fission, or atom splitting, to be far more efficient, and NASA has been researching this technology for decades.

The United States flew its first space reactor, SNAP-10A, in 1965. However, from the late 1970s through the early 2000s, space reactor development has been largely unsuccessful. "There hasn't been any tangible progress in fission reactor technology in decades," Dave Poston, chief reactor designer at Los Alamos National Laboratory in New Mexico, said during the conference.

Read More: http://www.isn-news.net/2018/01/kilopower-project-nasa-pushes-nuclear.html
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline kidd

Re: Kilopower Project: NASA Pushes Nuclear Power for Deep-Space Missions
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 03:15:01 pm »
"There hasn't been any tangible progress in fission reactor technology in decades," Dave Poston
Other than big improvements in materials, fuel reliability, corrosion control, operations, safety, robotic inspections, small modular reactors, and pebble bed reactors...right Mr. Poston?

What a moron.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 03:16:54 pm by kidd »

Oceander

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 04:45:23 pm »
Other than big improvements in materials, fuel reliability, corrosion control, operations, safety, robotic inspections, small modular reactors, and pebble bed reactors...right Mr. Poston?

What a moron.

I think he means in space-based reactors, not reactors in general. 

Offline kidd

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2018, 09:11:22 pm »
You’re right.

Other than big improvements in materials, fuel reliability, corrosion control and small modular reactors...right Mr. Poston?

What a moron.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2018, 09:13:18 pm »

@Oceander
Well a big reason there hasn't been any progress is because the use of nuclear power in space has been largely banned.

only a small number of vehicles have used any kind of nuclear power and I dont think any had a full blown reactor.  (pun intended)
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Oceander

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2018, 09:15:15 pm »
@Oceander
Well a big reason there hasn't been any progress is because the use of nuclear power in space has been largely banned.

only a small number of vehicles have used any kind of nuclear power and I dont think any had a full blown reactor.  (pun intended)

Agreed

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2018, 11:13:10 pm »
What do you want to bet that as soon as NASA announces they are launching a new interplanetary probe with this reactor, the nut cases at the Christic Institute come out of the woodwork filing lawsuits out the wazoo?