Author Topic: Wyoming Coal Company to Supply New Power Plants in Japan  (Read 1055 times)

Offline thackney

Wyoming Coal Company to Supply New Power Plants in Japan
« on: January 23, 2018, 01:30:42 pm »
Wyoming Coal Company to Supply New Power Plants in Japan
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/wyoming/articles/2018-01-17/wyoming-coal-company-to-supply-new-power-plants-in-japan
Jan. 17, 2018

A Wyoming coal company is planning to export coal from its mine in Montana to power two coal-fired plants under construction in Japan.

Cloud Peak Energy on Tuesday announced the agreement with Singapore-based JERA Trading to supply the coal over 30 to 40 months beginning at the end 2019.

The coal is expected to be transported by rail from the company's Spring Creek mine near Decker, Montana, to port in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. The coal would then be shipped to the plants in the Fukushima Prefecture in Japan....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Re: Wyoming Coal Company to Supply New Power Plants in Japan
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 01:36:33 pm »
Can't imagine this being announced during an Obama or Clinton presidency. 
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2018, 02:00:55 am »
From what I understand, this is some of the best coal to be had in the world.  Too bad coal prices are so low due to the Obama years condemnations of the coal industry.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline thackney

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2018, 12:53:59 pm »
From what I understand, this is some of the best coal to be had in the world.  Too bad coal prices are so low due to the Obama years condemnations of the coal industry.

"Best" depends on what you measure.  For Power plants, it is $/kWH, with all required handling and pollution controls.  In those terms, it tends to win.  But it is not most BTU/ton.

The term “clean” refers to the Powder River Basin coal’s sulfur count. It has about 0.3 percent sulfur when it is taken from the ground, compared with more than 1.2 percent sulfur in most of the coal in the Illinois Basin.

http://trib.com/business/energy/powder-river-basin-coal/article_b37fa836-c0fb-5427-978b-f3eded345796.html

Most Wyoming coal is sub-bituminous, which makes it an attractive choice for power plants because it has less sulfur and burns at around 8,400 to 8,800 BTUs per pound.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 12:54:28 pm by thackney »
Life is fragile, handle with prayer