Author Topic: Residents told to keep garage doors open or face $200 fine  (Read 3396 times)

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Re: Residents told to keep garage doors open or face $200 fine
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2018, 02:59:28 pm »
Yes, in fact, I do. LOL!
And a car up on blocks.

Meh.....

If your mama had only made sure you made your bed each morning.   Think of all the possibilities!    :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online roamer_1

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2018, 03:00:40 pm »
Meh.....

If your mama had only made sure you made your bed each morning.   Think of all the possibilities!    :laugh:

I don't have a bed. I sleep in a hammock on the front porch.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2018, 03:01:35 pm »
You know that Granny Bloomers plywood cutout?

That's right. Front and center in the garden facing the road.
Made it myself - I got the kit.

Well, hell!   I even had one of those myself!!    :beer:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Millee

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2018, 03:06:39 pm »
Churches are forbidden for providing food and citizens can't provide shelter. 

Land of the Free, Baby!!  *****rollingeyes***** *****rollingeyes*****

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2018, 03:25:32 pm »
From http://auburngreens.com/    Boldface is from the original.
Two different Homeowners Associations (HOA) govern Auburn Greens condos and each have their own CC&R's, HOA dues, management company and swimming pool.

**nononono*
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2018, 03:30:55 pm »
Come on, @sneakypete

That homeowner may have his home all 'trimmed out' with bump-outs and expensive landscaping...and yet will have to discount his home to match smaller models that don't have the hillbilly problem. 

...if he can sell it at all.   :shrug:

@DCPatriot

Good for him! If he loves all that stuff,what is to prevent him from offering to do the same for his neighbor,and to keep it up for him?

I will tell you like I told a bitch up at the polling place on election day that heard me talking to someone else,and came up with her mink stole and diamonds (seriously) and asked me "Are you the man that owns that house with all the old cars in the yard?"

When I told her "yes,I am."

Her reply was "When are you going to haul them off? They are ugly to look at when I drive by?"

My response to her was "How the bleep is it any of your bleeping business what *I* have in MY yard,bitch? I have 8 acres that sits 700+ feet off the main road,and you can't even see the house unless you drive up that dirt road,and I there are no other houses within a mile of mine.

The way I see things,here are your options.

1: You can offer me stupid money for it,and once it is yours you can do any damn thing you want to with the land and the cars.

2: You can build me a big-ass garage so I have somewhere to store them out of sight so that when you go out of your way to ride up the dirt road where I live,you won't be offended.

3: You can just STFU and mind your own bleeping  business."

Of course there were no actual bleeps harmed in this discussion. I just said what I meant.

She looked shocked. Her husband looked like he wanted to disappear into a crack in the floor.

I personally didn't and still don't give a damn what they or anyone else thinks. If you don't like it,don't look or buy me out. And of course there is also the every popular option number 3.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2018, 03:55:09 pm »
@DCPatriot

Good for him! If he loves all that stuff,what is to prevent him from offering to do the same for his neighbor,and to keep it up for him?

I will tell you like I told a bitch up at the polling place on election day that heard me talking to someone else,and came up with her mink stole and diamonds (seriously) and asked me "Are you the man that owns that house with all the old cars in the yard?"

When I told her "yes,I am."

Her reply was "When are you going to haul them off? They are ugly to look at when I drive by?"

My response to her was "How the bleep is it any of your bleeping business what *I* have in MY yard,bitch? I have 8 acres that sits 700+ feet off the main road,and you can't even see the house unless you drive up that dirt road,and I there are no other houses within a mile of mine.

The way I see things,here are your options.

1: You can offer me stupid money for it,and once it is yours you can do any damn thing you want to with the land and the cars.

2: You can build me a big-ass garage so I have somewhere to store them out of sight so that when you go out of your way to ride up the dirt road where I live,you won't be offended.

3: You can just STFU and mind your own bleeping  business."

Of course there were no actual bleeps harmed in this discussion. I just said what I meant.

She looked shocked. Her husband looked like he wanted to disappear into a crack in the floor.

I personally didn't and still don't give a damn what they or anyone else thinks. If you don't like it,don't look or buy me out. And of course there is also the every popular option number 3.

Strawman!

The properties to which I refer, are on quarter acre lots and sit 90 ft. off the curb.

Offline jpsb

« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2018, 04:13:30 pm »
Years ago when I went home shopping I had a few things in mind that I wanted. Number
1 was no HOA, if the house was subject to an HOA I was not interested. All the realtors
thought I was crazy so I found the home I bought myself.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2018, 04:25:48 pm »
Clearly, that is considered a greater offense in California these days than mandating that people keep their garage doors open, thus inviting burglary by criminals and illegal aliens... damn... there I go again, being all Non-PC and such.... oh well..

@andy58-in-nh

When you think about it for a minute,that might actually be a part of the "thinking" behind it. The "toney" people just might be thinking,"If we can force everyone to leave their homes and garages open (and make no mistake about it,a open garage IS a open house),the people we love and fear but can't identify MIGHT just be content with the money they get from selling stolen tools,hot water heaters,and freezers that they won't mug Mitch and Mopsey!"

One day soon,there is going to be an ugly reckoning coming down the road,and lots of people are going to die or get injured.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online roamer_1

« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2018, 04:32:46 pm »
Well, hell!   I even had one of those myself!!    :beer:

Funny part is, all them fancy folks across the road can't say a damn thing.
They don't dare piss me off...

I fix all their shit... :D

Offline thackney

« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2018, 04:38:51 pm »
...but consider owning a property next door to a neglected, unkempt lot, ...falling shutters and all, with a car on cinder blocks on the grass.  ...not even on the driveway.

I've got that now, right next door to me.

You know, I just don't care.  It doesn't bother me.

I understand it affects the resale value, but we don't plan to move.

I'm far more happy with my freedom.  I use my property as I like and they get to do the same.

It isn't for everyone, but is for us.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2018, 05:48:04 pm »
You know that Granny Bloomers plywood cutout?

That's right. Front and center in the garden facing the road.
Made it myself - I got the kit.

I love it when you put Grandpa's cut-out behind Granny on your birthday!  A laugh Riot!.   
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Online roamer_1

« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2018, 05:54:57 pm »
I love it when you put Grandpa's cut-out behind Granny on your birthday!  A laugh Riot!.

:silly:

I ain't saying how I know...
But you know that windmill wood-chopper guy?
A little remodeling and a little wooden sheep will be quite the conversation piece.

Offline WingNot

« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2018, 06:13:00 pm »
:silly:

But you know that windmill wood-chopper guy?
A little remodeling and a little wooden sheep will be quite the conversation piece.

Yes it wood.. er would!

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2018, 09:07:52 pm »
I actually don't have a problem with this....so long as it's only random 5 day periods over the course of a year.

Back in the real estate boom of 2001 to 2005, it was common to see homes in rural track home subdivisions, convert their garages to living areas...but leaving the facade of the garage door, though no longer operable.

The garage would have a side entrance.

Many homeowners use this 'rental' income, usually rented to family or work buddies...to pay for such things as automobiles, or utilities.

The tip off?   More than 3 cars on the premises.
Interesting, we were a family of four and had five cars counting my Studebaker Hobby car, so according to you I was tipping off that I had converted my garage for living when actually it was full of tools, reloading equipment and stored items and the large door was often not opened for a week or so.

I actually would like to see the HOA force this and have the first homeowner that had a theft from the mandated open garage sue the HOA leadership personally for damages.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2018, 09:22:49 pm »
Years ago when I went home shopping I had a few things in mind that I wanted. Number
1 was no HOA, if the house was subject to an HOA I was not interested. All the realtors
thought I was crazy so I found the home I bought myself.
As a long time realtor, this is very simple. Listen to the client. If he/she says no HOA just don't waste their time over it.. Period.

If they say maybe, help educate them to the positives and negatives. I have sold several 2nd/3rd homes to buyers that need the maintenance and security offered by common ownership associations.

They are astute enough, to realize most of the costs go toward things which they would have to spend money; exterior paint, gardening, roofs, security, reserves, etc.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online roamer_1

« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2018, 01:16:45 am »
As a long time realtor, this is very simple. Listen to the client. If he/she says no HOA just don't waste their time over it.. Period.

If they say maybe, help educate them to the positives and negatives. I have sold several 2nd/3rd homes to buyers that need the maintenance and security offered by common ownership associations.

They are astute enough, to realize most of the costs go toward things which they would have to spend money; exterior paint, gardening, roofs, security, reserves, etc.

Meh. I am way out in the county. No building codes (just electrical and septic) no permits, fifteen hundred a year in taxes... who the hell  would mess that up with HOAs?

Nope. I can do whatever the hell I want, and so can my neighbors. That's a good thing.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2018, 02:54:50 am »
In Florida, if you want to buy a new home, and a lot of older home within any type of community, you have no choice but to be part of an HOA.  Don't want to be in an HOA you can buy a piece of rural property or you can buy a much older home in a community that was built prior to the state requiring HOAs.  I have found that most of those communities are now run-down and in higher crime areas.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2018, 02:59:54 am »
Meh. I am way out in the county. No building codes (just electrical and septic) no permits, fifteen hundred a year in taxes... who the hell  would mess that up with HOAs?

Nope. I can do whatever the hell I want, and so can my neighbors. That's a good thing.

My place is 15 miles by road (maybe 10 or 12 as the crow flies)  from the nearest boundary of a municipality of any kind and I picked that location on purpose.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 03:00:26 am by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online roamer_1

« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2018, 05:37:47 am »
My place is 15 miles by road (maybe 10 or 12 as the crow flies)  from the nearest boundary of a municipality of any kind and I picked that location on purpose.

If I ever get my body back together, that's about where I will be too - right at the end of cable broadband, in some holler on a gravel road where nobody goes...

Offline WingNot

« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2018, 01:28:14 pm »
If I ever get my body back together, that's about where I will be too - right at the end of cable broadband, in some holler on a gravel road where nobody goes...

"Last Stop Willoughby.  Last Stop Willoughby"