Author Topic: Residents told to keep garage doors open or face $200 fine  (Read 3397 times)

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Residents told to keep garage doors open or face $200 fine
« on: January 09, 2018, 03:02:48 am »
In this week’s display of homeowners’ association idiocy, the Auburn Greens complex in Auburn, California is allegedly requiring all of its residents to keep their garage doors open during the week, all because one resident had people sleeping in their garage, Sacramento-based news channel KCRA 3 reports. Of all possible solutions to this “problem,” this HOA appears to have found the very dumbest.

This insanity comes to you from Placer County, California, where a homeowners’ association apparently posted notices on residents’ doors telling them of their requirement to keep garage doors open from 8 A.M. to 4 P.M. Monday through Friday or to face “an immediate hearing notice and [be] subjected to a $200 fine.”

https://jalopnik.com/dumbest-hoa-ever-is-allegedly-forcing-residents-to-keep-1821886917
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline RoosGirl

Re: Residents told to keep garage doors open or face $200 fine
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 03:14:13 am »
A better idea would be for the HOA board to go and physically inspect each and every garage in the community every day.   *****rollingeyes*****

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 03:41:46 am »
A better idea would be for the HOA board to go and physically inspect each and every garage in the community every day.   *****rollingeyes*****

This will last until one of the HOA Officers gets something stolen while they're at work.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 05:03:19 am »
This is one of those things where the person who brought up the idea of something so stupid as  forcing residents to keep their garage doors open should have been laughed out of the room by the other people.
But instead the other idiots thought "hey, that's a great idea...nobody will ever steal anything out of those open garages."
I don't know how people get on those HOAs, but the people who okayed this latest gross stupidity should be fired and/or have their rearends kicked but good.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 11:14:41 am by goatprairie »

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 05:22:21 am »
This is one of those things where the person who brought up the idea of something so stupid as  forcing residents to keep their garage doors open should have been laughed out of the room by the other people.
But instead the other idiots thought "hey, that's a great idea...nobody will ever steal anything out of those open garages."
I don't know how people get on those HOAs, but he people who okayed this latest gross stupidity should be fired and/or have their rearends kicked but good.

You will find that people living in HOA's are generally the stupidest people around. I'll bet a dollar most people in that neighborhood thought it was a grand idea too. After all, the leadership of their HOA is the authority in their lives.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 06:25:12 am »

There ain't a red chance in hell that I would ever be involved with a property governed by an HOA.
This is one of many, many examples.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2018, 11:06:57 am »
I don't know about Auburn, California, but leaving our garage door open all day would make the house kind of cold (unnecessary energy consumption!!), not to mention serving as an invitation for someone to just waltz in and steal everything we own.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2018, 11:19:00 am »
I actually don't have a problem with this....so long as it's only random 5 day periods over the course of a year.

Back in the real estate boom of 2001 to 2005, it was common to see homes in rural track home subdivisions, convert their garages to living areas...but leaving the facade of the garage door, though no longer operable.

The garage would have a side entrance.

Many homeowners use this 'rental' income, usually rented to family or work buddies...to pay for such things as automobiles, or utilities.

The tip off?   More than 3 cars on the premises.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline verga

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2018, 11:24:21 am »
Once again the collective telling the individual what rights they have and what they can do with their own property.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2018, 01:12:03 pm »
If Stalin were alive today,he would be embarrassed to belong to a HOA.

It takes a special kind of stupid to even join one,never mind run for office in one. Besides being mind-numblingly stupid,you have to have  industrial-strength streaks of mean and petty.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2018, 02:04:42 pm »
There ain't a red chance in hell that I would ever be involved with a property governed by an HOA.
This is one of many, many examples.
Petty tyranny and inevitable stupidity have once again proven to be a bad blend.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2018, 02:20:53 pm »
If Stalin were alive today,he would be embarrassed to belong to a HOA.

It takes a special kind of stupid to even join one,never mind run for office in one. Besides being mind-numblingly stupid,you have to have  industrial-strength streaks of mean and petty.

Every 'Harry/Harriett Homeowner' hates being singled out by an overbearing HOA...but usually, it's due to lack of social skills on behalf of the Assoc. representative, or the person on the phone.

Of course they can get dictatorial...but consider owning a property next door to a neglected, unkempt lot, ...falling shutters and all, with a car on cinder blocks on the grass.  ...not even on the driveway.

Where's your Moses now??    :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2018, 02:36:00 pm »
It is more than a bit interesting that those reporting this story did not think to ask anything about the "people" who were sleeping in the owner's garage. Who are they? Are they homeless? Are they... ummmm.... "undocumented" something-or-other???
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2018, 02:38:02 pm »
Every 'Harry/Harriett Homeowner' hates being singled out by an overbearing HOA...but usually, it's due to lack of social skills on behalf of the Assoc. representative, or the person on the phone.

Of course they can get dictatorial...but consider owning a property next door to a neglected, unkempt lot, ...falling shutters and all, with a car on cinder blocks on the grass.  ...not even on the driveway.

@DCPatriot

So,what's keeping you from moving if it bothers you?

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2018, 02:38:03 pm »
It is just heartless and cruel to make them sleep in the garage.  They should probably be allowed in the actual home.  Maybe the master bedroom might be nice.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2018, 02:39:10 pm »
It is more than a bit interesting that those reporting this story did not think to ask anything about the "people" who were sleeping in the owner's garage. Who are they? Are they homeless? Are they... ummmm.... "undocumented" something-or-other???

@andy58-in-nh

I could be wrong,but I think it would be non-PC to define who they are.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2018, 02:40:56 pm »

Where's your Moses now??    :laugh:

That that bothers you should be your first clue.
Folks gotta have room to live, and live the way they want to. or maybe the way they have to - And the plastic banana of covenants do not provide for that.

But there is one thing about HOAs... They keep all y'all outta our hair.  :seeya:

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2018, 02:43:40 pm »
That that bothers you should be your first clue.
Folks gotta have room to live, and live the way they want to. or maybe the way they have to - And the plastic banana of covenants do not provide for that.

But there is one thing about HOAs... They keep all y'all outta our hair.  :seeya:
Besides, cinder blocks tend to crack. Better to use sections of railroad tie.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2018, 02:44:07 pm »
@DCPatriot

So,what's keeping you from moving if it bothers you?

Come on, @sneakypete

That homeowner may have his home all 'trimmed out' with bump-outs and expensive landscaping...and yet will have to discount his home to match smaller models that don't have the hillbilly problem. 

...if he can sell it at all.   :shrug:

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2018, 02:45:57 pm »

Take the seat out and put it up on the porch... Keeps it out of the sun, and provides a nice comfy spot. With matching beer coolers on either end.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2018, 02:49:23 pm »

I've got a flock of pink flamingos just to piss off the fancy folks across the road...
and wind chimes made of various things...
And christmas lights up on the porch all year round...

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2018, 02:54:44 pm »
I've got a flock of pink flamingos just to piss off the fancy folks across the road...
and wind chimes made of various things...
And christmas lights up on the porch all year round...

No surprise here!  ...course you do!   

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2018, 02:56:21 pm »

Yes, in fact, I do. LOL!
And a car up on blocks.

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2018, 02:58:18 pm »
@andy58-in-nh

I could be wrong,but I think it would be non-PC to define who they are.

Clearly, that is considered a greater offense in California these days than mandating that people keep their garage doors open, thus inviting burglary by criminals and illegal aliens... damn... there I go again, being all Non-PC and such.... oh well..
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2018, 02:58:36 pm »

You know that Granny Bloomers plywood cutout?

That's right. Front and center in the garden facing the road.
Made it myself - I got the kit.