Author Topic: Charges against rancher Cliven Bundy, three others are dismissed  (Read 2029 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Re: Charges against rancher Cliven Bundy, three others are dismissed
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2018, 01:33:51 am »
Folks in this forum have short memories, but back when the "Bundy incident" occurred, there were numerous posters here touting the Bundys' guilt and that Cliven Bundy had brought it all upon himself.

He did bring it on himself, by not paying the fees or working on a settlement, even after he took it to court and lost.

It’s the same thing as maxing out your credit card, then deciding your interest rate is predatory and you refuse to make payments anymore.

Just because the collection agency violated consumer protection law by calling you at all hours and threatening to put you in jail doesn’t mean you weren’t a deadbeat.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 01:34:17 am by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2018, 02:12:23 am »
I do hope this episode hardens the resolve of many toward arbitrary haughty positions taken by the big bad federal bureaucracy.

After you see the entire history of this, a man who was minding his own business since 1954 dutifully paying his grazing fees had a strong-armed federal govt declare his rights were subservient to a damn desert tortoise.

Yes, that's what started all of this.  Here's the range of the desert tortoise.  With such a large range, how could it be threatened?

Bill Clinton's BLM Director who wanted those turtles to thrive didn't last long at all.

BLM chief Jim Baca leaves amidst cheers and boos
http://www.hcn.org/issues/4/100
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2018, 02:40:26 am »
It's been a while, so my memory isn't clear, but I think it was also about to whom he paid the fees.  He was happy to pay NV, but the Feds demanded payment instead.  Then, it was the kerfuffle about the Desert Tortoise that got the Fed trying to round up and slaughter Bundy's livestock.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2018, 08:29:35 pm »
[quote author=Cyber Liberty link=topic=298553.msg1567433#msg1567433 date=1515465626,
It's been a while, so my memory isn't clear, but I think it was also about to whom he paid the fees.  He was happy to pay NV, but the Feds demanded payment instead.  Then, it was the kerfuffle about the Desert Tortoise that got the Fed trying to round up and slaughter Bundy's livestock.
[/quote]
Yes and they wanted the land Bundy and others grazed on to replace land that they wanted to be available to Harry Reid's son for some kind of solar (wind?) facility.  Harry Reid's son had made a deal with a Chinese group.  Needed to move those Desert Tortoise.  Kept raising the fees until they had run off nearly everyone but the Bundy family.

Of course, the chinese/Reid deal fell thru after that standoff.

Politics and tortoises.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 08:31:22 pm by ConstitutionRose »
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2018, 11:35:53 pm »
Good news.   Another Obama wrong righted.
Won't bring Lavoy Finicum back to life, though.  **nononono*
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2018, 11:56:30 pm »

Yes and they wanted the land Bundy and others grazed on to replace land that they wanted to be available to Harry Reid's son for some kind of solar (wind?) facility.  Harry Reid's son had made a deal with a Chinese group.  Needed to move those Desert Tortoise.  Kept raising the fees until they had run off nearly everyone but the Bundy family.

Of course, the chinese/Reid deal fell thru after that standoff.

Politics and tortoises.
It is such rich irony that the judge who dismissed the charges was nominated for the position by Reid and appointed by Obama.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2018, 12:44:17 am »
Won't bring Lavoy Finicum back to life, though.  **nononono*

No it won't.  It is a shame his killer will not be spending any time in jail for executing him.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2018, 03:06:30 am »
Then it's a pity the Feds ruined their own prosecution by violating Bundy's Brady Rights by withholding evidence, eh?  Until I found out about that, I considered it a slam-dunk for the Feds, even though I thought they were over charging him.  I'm pleasantly surprised an Obama appointed Judge sent this one down With Prejudice.  She must have been pretty angry about the violation.

Agreed.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2018, 05:23:53 am »
If the Chinese landed paratroopers there, you can bet the little weasel would be whining for the federal military to protect him.

Nope.  Just the Nevada National Guard.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-