Author Topic: Charges against rancher Cliven Bundy, three others are dismissed  (Read 2043 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Charges against rancher Cliven Bundy, three others are dismissed
Fox News, Jan 8, 2018, Steve Kurtz

A federal judge dismissed all charges against rancher Cliven Bundy, his two sons and another man on Monday.

U.S. District Judge Gloria Navarro cited "flagrant prosecutorial misconduct" in her decision to dismiss all charges against the Nevada rancher and three others.

Navarro on Dec. 20 declared a mistrial in the high-profile Bundy case. It was only the latest, stunning development in the saga of the Nevada rancher, and served as a repudiation of the federal government. Navarro accused prosecutors of willfully withholding evidence from Bundy’s lawyers, in violation of the federal Brady rule.

More: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/01/08/charges-against-rancher-cliven-bundy-three-others-are-dismissed.html

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: Charges against rancher Cliven Bundy, three others are dismissed
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 07:21:18 pm »
I don't know that I care much for Bundy, but this case stunk from the beginning.  Glad the judge ruled that way.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 07:21:28 pm »
Dismissed with prejudice!  Hallelujah!!!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 07:21:43 pm »
Good news.   Another Obama wrong righted.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 07:22:50 pm »
Dismissed with prejudice!  Hallelujah!!!

That was an entertaining bit of the ruling.

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 07:23:51 pm »
Cliven Bundy standoff case thrown out in another stunning blow to government
The Oregonian, Jan 8, 2018, Maxine Bernstein

A federal judge Monday threw out criminal charges against Nevada cattleman Cliven Bundy, his two sons and a co-defendant in the 2014 Bunkerville standoff, citing "flagrant misconduct" by prosecutors and the FBI in not disclosing evidence to the defense before and during trial.

"The government's conduct in this case was indeed outrageous," U.S. District Judge Gloria M. Navarro ruled. "There has been flagrant misconduct, substantial prejudice and no lesser remedy is sufficient."

The judge issued her ruling before a packed courtroom with nearly 100 spectators. As Navarro dismissed the case, Cliven Bundy's lawyer put his arm around his client. Supporters in the public gallery held hands, wiped tears from their eyes and hugged.

The dismissal with prejudice, meaning a new trial can't be pursued, marked an embarrassing nadir for the federal government, which now has failed to convict the Bundys in two major federal cases stemming from separate armed standoffs.

More: http://www.oregonlive.com/oregon-standoff/2018/01/cliven_bundy_standoff_case_thr.html

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 07:24:49 pm »
Ladies and gentlemen ... meet an uncorrupted Judge:  U.S. District Judge Gloria M. Navarro

The government's conduct in this case was indeed outrageous," U.S. District Judge Gloria M. Navarro ruled. "There has been flagrant misconduct, substantial prejudice and no lesser remedy is sufficient."

« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 07:25:40 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline WingNot

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2018, 07:27:11 pm »
Ladies and gentlemen ... meet an uncorrupted Judge:  U.S. District Judge Gloria M. Navarro

Gloria Maria Navarro is an American attorney and Chief United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Nevada. Wikipedia
Born: May 2, 1967 (age 50), Las Vegas, NV
Nationality: American
Appointed by: Barack Obama
Education: University of Nevada, Las Vegas, Sandra Day O'Connor College of Law, Arizona State University

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2018, 07:27:12 pm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gloria_Navarro
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2018, 07:28:27 pm »

There are, in fact, many good ones and they are the ones most people know nothing about.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2018, 07:29:21 pm »
I suspected she was going to dismiss it since last month, I just didn't know if she'd do it with Prejudice.  Good deal, she knew the government would retry it just out of spite.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2018, 08:41:02 pm »
I don't know that I care much for Bundy, but this case stunk from the beginning.  Glad the judge ruled that way.

It all could’ve been avoided, as well, had he just paid the grazing fees.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2018, 08:47:33 pm »
It all could’ve been avoided, as well, had he just paid the grazing fees.

Yup.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2018, 08:54:03 pm »
To whom?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2018, 09:26:37 pm »
One of the gentlemen in that picture has had a stroke or a facial injury.  Does anyone know about that?
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline WingNot

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2018, 09:31:38 pm »
To whom?

To The entity who snatched the land originally...

“Wait a minute. There might be legal precedent. Of course. Land snatching. Let's see, land, la-land...see snatch. snatch...snatch...ah! Haley vs. United states. Haley 7, United States nothing. You see, it can be done!”

Offline Suppressed

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Offline WingNot

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2018, 09:38:08 pm »
The American People

Right.   ****slapping 

Must be like what Gump got after that bullet bit him directly in the but-tocks. "They said it was a million dollar wound, but the Army must keep that money, 'cause I still ain't seen a nickel of that million dollars".

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2018, 09:42:34 pm »
Right.   ****slapping 

Must be like what Gump got after that bullet bit him directly in the but-tocks. "They said it was a million dollar wound, but the Army must keep that money, 'cause I still ain't seen a nickel of that million dollars".

If the Chinese landed paratroopers there, you can bet the little weasel would be whining for the federal military to protect him.
+++++++++

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2018, 09:44:24 pm »

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I will NOT comply.

Offline WingNot

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2018, 10:03:09 pm »
If the Chinese landed paratroopers there, you can bet the little weasel would be whining for the federal military to protect him.

How much grass can a chinese Paratrooper eat per day. 

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2018, 11:49:41 pm »
Good call by the judge.

Folks in this forum have short memories, but back when the "Bundy incident" occurred, there were numerous posters here touting the Bundys' guilt and that Cliven Bundy had brought it all upon himself.

Fortunately, I never succumbed to that argument.

Here's a toast to Mr. Bundy and his boys!

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2018, 12:09:29 am »
Good call by the judge.

Folks in this forum have short memories, but back when the "Bundy incident" occurred, there were numerous posters here touting the Bundys' guilt and that Cliven Bundy had brought it all upon himself.

Fortunately, I never succumbed to that argument.

Here's a toast to Mr. Bundy and his boys!

Amen, @Fishrrman !!    :beer:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2018, 12:27:11 am »

Then it's a pity the Feds ruined their own prosecution by violating Bundy's Brady Rights by withholding evidence, eh?  Until I found out about that, I considered it a slam-dunk for the Feds, even though I thought they were over charging him.  I'm pleasantly surprised an Obama appointed Judge sent this one down With Prejudice.  She must have been pretty angry about the violation.
I will NOT comply.