Author Topic: Donald Trump suggests he wants US law to limit free speech in wake of publication of explosive new b  (Read 1938 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

President Donald Trump has hit out at "very weak" libel laws in the US as he branded an explosive new book detailing the inner workings White House as a piece of "fiction".

Suggesting that he would like to see tougher laws over free speech, Mr Trump said that if libel laws "were strong... you wouldn't have things like that happen where you can say whatever comes into your head" - referring to Michael Wolff's book Fire and Fury: Inside the Trump White House....

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-free-speech-libel-law-michael-wolff-fire-fury-mental-state-latest-a8145741.html

Offline RoosGirl

"His father was with Lee Harvey Oswald prior to Oswald's being—you know, shot. I mean, the whole thing is ridiculous. What is this, right prior to his being shot, and nobody even brings it up. They don't even talk about that. That was reported, and nobody talks about it. I mean, what was he doing—what was he doing with Lee Harvey Oswald shortly before the death, before the shooting?"

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
I am a bit confused though. If this book is fake and phony, why did he go after Bannon for the NDA?  After all, if all of this is fake, then Bannon didn't actually disclose anything, he was just trolling the reporter. If Bannon did violate the NDA, then something he said must be a true disclosure.

Offline kevindavis007

Why is Trump afraid of the book if it is fake?  A real bad idea and hopefully Congress doesn't pass this asinine idea.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Mr Trump said that if libel laws "were strong... you wouldn't have things like that happen where you can say whatever comes into your head"

So Trump would outlaw his use of twitter?

Offline kevindavis007

One more thing: Trump is trying use this orchestrated outrage to tighten libel laws and he is hoping the Republicans in Congress will go along with it.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 08:01:18 pm by kevindavis »
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline kevindavis007

Imagine if Obama had said this..

Offline RoosGirl

Imagine if Obama had said this..

We tried using that example the last time Trump said something similar to this during the campaign and it didn't work.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Oh, palease .... I just posted the full press conference.  Listen to what the President actually said --- in context.

**nononono*

Offline RoosGirl

Oh, palease .... I just posted the full press conference.  Listen to what the President actually said --- in context.

**nononono*

I already listened to it.  I didn't change my mind.

Offline Cripplecreek

"His father was with Lee Harvey Oswald prior to Oswald's being—you know, shot. I mean, the whole thing is ridiculous. What is this, right prior to his being shot, and nobody even brings it up. They don't even talk about that. That was reported, and nobody talks about it. I mean, what was he doing—what was he doing with Lee Harvey Oswald shortly before the death, before the shooting?"

@RoosGirl

Trump already incriminated himself under his proposed law when he went on Blitzer's show and said he never really believed Cruz was involved in the JFK assassination but he told the story anyway because he wanted to win.

Offline RoosGirl

@RoosGirl

Trump already incriminated himself under his proposed law when he went on Blitzer's show and said he never really believed Cruz was involved in the JFK assassination but he told the story anyway because he wanted to win.

And this is part of the reason I didn't change my mind.

Goose, gander and all that.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp

**nononono*

And spoil their fun??

Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
@RoosGirl

Source? 

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Source?

I asked for a source because the post sounded like a rambling remembrance of a talk show and nothing on record.

I cannot believe that Trump would say anything so self-incriminating.  I'd like to know what the actually words were in that press conference.

Believe me, I was watching Trump like a hawk back then because I so wanted Cruz to win.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 08:31:45 pm by Cripplecreek »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
He told Blitzer the same

! No longer available

Yeah, that's as bad as I remembered it being.

Offline Suppressed

I asked for a source because the post sounded like a rambling remembrance of a talk show and nothing on record.

I cannot believe that Trump would say anything so self-incriminating.  I'd like to know what the actually words were in that press conference.

Believe me, I was watching Trump like a hawk back then because I so wanted Cruz to win.

https://www.politico.com/story/2016/05/trump-cruz-jfk-assassination-222817

« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 12:31:18 am by Suppressed »
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Cripplecreek

Offline ConservativeGranny

@Emjay
Here, let me help. You have to take your earplugs out and your blind-man glasses off when you listen to and read the news:)

It's a good link to share the next time someone asks to "show me one lie that Trump has ever told".

Offline RoosGirl

@Emjay
Here, let me help. You have to take your earplugs out and your blind-man glasses off when you listen to and read the news:)

It's a good link to share the next time someone asks to "show me one lie that Trump has ever told".

Apparently this lie doesn't count because it was on the campaign trail.  At least that is what was suggested earlier.  Of course, that was from the person who also said that character doesn't matter and to prove his point compared Trump to both Hillary and Stalin, so you can take that for what it's worth.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Actually, what he said was he would like to see stronger libel laws. Even if they existed, he would still need to prove it was libelous.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil

I guess it was OK to make up stories about Cruz.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.