Author Topic: It's Not Over: Leigh Corfman Files Defamation Lawsuit Against Roy Moore  (Read 2033 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

SOURCE: HOTAIR

URL: https://hotair.com/archives/2018/01/04/leigh-corfman-files-defamation-lawsuit-roy-moore/

by John Sexton

Leigh Corfman, the woman who claims that Roy Moore took her to his home and groped her when she was 14 and he was 32, has filed a defamation lawsuit against him. The lawsuit recapitulates all of the accusations which first appeared in the Washington Post story last November.

On two occasions, Mr. Moore picked up Ms. Corfman near her home and drove her to his house, where they were alone.

On the second visit to the house, Mr. Moore sexually abused Ms. Corfman. He provided Ms. Corfman with alcohol, flattered her, laid blankets and pillows on the floor, and took off her and his outer clothing. Wearing only undershorts, Mr. Moore touched Ms. Corfman’s private parts through her bra and underpants and guided her hand to touch his penis. Ms. Corfman resisted Mr. Moore and asked him to take her home.

Ms. Corfman immediately told friends, including Betsy Davis, about Mr. Moore’s conduct that night.

Ms. Corfman over the years also told family members, including her mother.

It then argues that in response to the Post story, Moore and his campaign repeatedly lied about his past relationship with her:

Since publication of the Washington Post article on November 9, 2017, Mr. Moore has repeatedly attacked Ms. Corfman despite knowing that he sexually abused Ms. Corfman when she was 14 years old. At a minimum, Mr. Moore made his false denials reckless disregard of the truth…

On November 10, 2017, the day after publication of the Washington Post article, Mr. Moore appeared on The Sean Hannity Show, a nationally syndicated radio program, to disclaim knowledge of Ms. Corfman. A portion of the segment featuring Mr. Moore was re- broadcast with transcription on the Fox News Channel, a nationally distributed cable television channel.

Tellingly, Mr. Moore initially suggested to Mr. Hannity that he “dated a lot of young ladies,” including teenage girls, when Mr. Moore was in his 30s, and stated with regards to these allegations, including Ms. Corfman’s: “I’m not going to dispute anything, but I don’t remember anything like that.”

Mr. Moore later in the same interview denied knowing Ms. Corfman, and accused her of political motivations in speaking with The Washington Post: “I don’t know Ms. Corfman from a-anybody. I, I’ve never talked to her, never had any contact with her. Allegations of sexual misconduct with her are completely false. I believe they’re politically motivated. I believe they’re brought only to stop a very successful campaign, and that’s what they’re doing. Uh, I’ve never, uh, known this woman or anything.”
The lawsuit then goes on to list more than half-a-dozen more instances of Moore denying the allegations and claiming Corfman’s claims were politically motivated. The lawsuit also cites several individuals in the Moore campaign who repeated his denials.

(EXCERPT) CLICK ABOVE LINK FOR THE REST....

Offline Fantom

Re: It's Not Over: Leigh Corfman Files Defamation Lawsuit Against Roy Moore
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 01:37:31 am »

It's dead Jim.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 01:47:06 am »
Interesting, because you can peruse the Moore threads and see the posts swearing these women would just vanish after the election.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 01:48:45 am »
It will not surprise me if she wins this case, considering Moore's incompetence in defending himself.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline the_doc

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 02:09:18 am »
It will not surprise me if she wins this case, considering Moore's incompetence in defending himself.

Well, he supposedly passed some kind of polygraph test.  I wonder if the alleged incident with Leigh Corfman was on the test.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2018, 02:17:17 am »
Unless she's got some proof, this'll get thrown out of court faster than you can say "gold digger."
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Silver Pines

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2018, 02:21:00 am »
I thought she was going to disappear after the Alabama election.  Guess not.

Has Moore filed any of his suits yet?

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2018, 02:42:50 am »
Law of Defamation in Alabama
By Jinks, Crow & Dickson, P.C.

Libel vs. Slander

Defamation is essentially an injury to reputation. In Alabama, defamation is defined as a false statement of fact, published or spoken with some degree of fault, that tends to harm the reputation of another so as to lower him or her in the estimation of the community.  Libel and slander are types of defamatory statements. Libel is a written defamatory statement, and slander is a spoken or oral defamatory statement.

As in every case, the person bringing a defamation claim bears the burden of proof related to the elements of the cause of action and the damages claimed. The first legal hurdle in a defamation case is proving the statement in issue is false. Second, one must prove the statement was made with some degree of fault. This could include an actual intent to harm, but also could include a statement made carelessly. Next, one must show that the statement in question did in fact hurt or harm her reputation with the recipient (and to others who may have also received or heard of the false statement.) Finally, a claimant must prove the extent and nature of the damages caused by the false statement.

These four hurdles make defamation/libel cases somewhat difficult because unless one can prove all four elements, her case will not be successful. Alabama law does allow the recovery of punitive damages for defamatory statements but the claimant must also prove by clear and convincing evidence that the defendant consciously or deliberately engaged in oppression, fraud, wantonness, or malice with regard to the plaintiff in order to recover punitive damages. Also, before punitive damages can be considered in a libel action, the claimant must have requested a retraction before filing a lawsuit.

Defenses to defamation

Truth is an absolute defense to defamation.  That is, the claimant has the burden of proving that the statement in question is false.  If the statement is true or substantially true, then the claim will fail.  Likewise, a statement of opinion may not be considered defamatory.  That does not mean, however, that a person can insulate herself by adding the phrase “In my opinion” to a otherwise defamatory statement of fact.  “Satire” is also a defense to defamation (which is one way that comedians and late night talk show hosts get away with much of their material).

Public vs. Private Figure

The degree of fault needed for a successful defamation action depends upon whether the person bringing the claim is a public or private figure.  Private individuals (those who are not in the public eye) must prove that the defendant published the statement that is complained of either intentionally or with negligence. Negligence means the failure to exercise reasonable care–that is, such care as a reasonably prudent person would have exercised under the same or similar circumstances.  By contrast, public figures or public officials must show by clear and convincing evidence that the defendant published the statement that is complained of with actual malice–that is, with knowledge that the statement was false or with “reckless disregard” for the truth of the statement.  By making it more difficult for a public person to sustain a claim for defamation, the law encourages public discourse regarding elected officials and other public figures, such as celebrities.

Evolving defamation law affects how we in the community give and receive information. For example, the suits brought by Richard Jewell (Atlanta security guard who discovered planted pipe bomb at Centennial Olympic Park during the 1996 Summer Olympic Games who was falsely accused of planting the bomb himself and later exonerated by the FBI) against many news outlets changed the way the news media refer to or label those being investigated for or suspected of criminal wrongdoing.  Since Mr. Jewell’s case, many media outlets now use the term “person of interest” as opposed to “suspect”.  Additionally, many states require that a news outlet issue retractions in the same manner and context as the original defamatory statement was published.  For example a defamatory page one headline cannot properly be retracted on the bottom of page nine.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2018, 09:24:39 am »
Doesn't she know the election is over?  The Fake Media isn't going to pay top dollar now.  Women are so dumb.

Patriot media like Trumpbart assured millions of GOP voters that Leigh Corfman was a colon sucking crack whore succubus trying to elect rats.  According to somebody I made up Leigh Corfman came on to Judge Moore and a 34 year old feeling up a 14 year old is biblically normal and only illegal in 39 states.  Judge Moore says Leigh Corfman tried to drain him of his essence.  The essence he needs to protect to Constitution. 

I'll remind you all that JUDGE MOORE HAS NOT CONCEDED!!!  http://www.businessinsider.com/roy-moore-asks-for-donations-refuses-to-concede-alabama-senate-race-2017-12 

He has not given up on you.  Don't give up on him.

Does Leigh Corfman want another beat down, by twitter, and facebook, and fair and balanced Fox News?  No.  She won't stay down because she knows Judge Moore has a plan to win. 

! No longer available

Few men recognize the liberal immorality infecting our nation so clearly.  Even fewer men are as convincing in their righteous condemnation.

Send your donation today https://www.roymoore.org/Support-Judge-Moore/
God Bless the United States, God Bless the Constitution, and God Bless America!!!

Offline SirLinksALot

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2018, 01:48:48 pm »
Doesn't she know the election is over?

I am not one to agree with this counter argument, but those who are against Moore will use this lawsuit as "proof" that Corfman is not into politics but is only after the truth to come out after 40 years.... just saying....

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2018, 02:30:17 pm »
I am not one to agree with this counter argument, but those who are against Moore will use this lawsuit as "proof" that Corfman is not into politics but is only after the truth to come out after 40 years.... just saying....

Me thinks she is just looking for a payday and some shyster lawyer convinced her she will be in high cotton after he takes is 50% cut of the pre fee award.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2018, 05:30:58 pm »
I'll remind you all that JUDGE MOORE HAS NOT CONCEDED!!!

He has not given up on you.  Don't give up on him.

Judge Moore gave up on me when he decided to stay at home and watch a football game on the most important day of any election campaign.

It takes a special level of incompetence for a Republican to lose to a Democrat in Alabama these days.  Instead of sitting on his ass, if he had spent the day in a bus stopping at every town between Decatur and Dothan, he would have won.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline edpc

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2018, 05:47:42 pm »
Judge Moore gave up on me when he decided to stay at home and watch a football game on the most important day of any election campaign.

I'd say he's lazy, but he spent a lot of time running from the press.

Offline SirLinksALot

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2018, 10:53:59 pm »
I would like to focus this thread on the one important issue --- IS HE GUILTY OF WHAT HE IS ACCUSED OF?

All these talk of what he should or should not have done to win the election are topics for another thread.

Oceander

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2018, 10:58:53 pm »
I doubt this goes well for her.  Moore is an idiot on a stick, but I don’t think she’s going to enjoy opening this can of worms up to litigation. 

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2018, 11:45:29 pm »
I would like to focus this thread on the one important issue --- IS HE GUILTY OF WHAT HE IS ACCUSED OF?

Guilty of running a totally incompetent campaign?  You betcha.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 11:52:35 pm by Hoodat »

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2018, 11:51:44 pm »
When someone says: Its not over.  It is over.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2018, 02:02:59 pm »

He ran the worst senate campaign in a DEEP RED STATE!!! Also the fact that he is ignorant of the Constitution..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline SirLinksALot

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2018, 02:14:37 pm »

He ran the worst senate campaign in a DEEP RED STATE!!! Also the fact that he is ignorant of the Constitution..

By "IS HE GUILTY OF WHAT HE IS ACCUSED OF?", I meant did he Molest the then 14 year old Leigh Corfman?

Let's focus on THAT in this thread.

He's already lost, we already know that, what's the point of rehasing it to death?

Now if he's guilty of what he was accused of doing, then he deserves to lose.

If he's not, we ought to ask ourselves two questions:

1) How does he prove that the accusations are a lie?

2) Should another conservative ran and this Gloria Allred Standard Operational Procedure surface once again in the last minute (as it inevitably will),
how should the conservative ran his campaign to counter this slander?

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2018, 02:36:20 pm »
Don't care about that.  The issue is how, as a candidate, did he handle it.  Moore chose to retreat and hide.

We should and ought to care about that.

The issue is being kept alive by this lawsuit and if he is not guilty, then an innocent man has been slandered.

If he is guilty, then it does not matter how he handled it. He should not have won.

Let's say it's the former. how  in your opinion should he have handled it given the few weeks he had
to refute the allegations and given the total lack of support from his own party?

« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 02:47:56 pm by SirLinksALot »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2018, 11:14:59 pm »
Me thinks she is just looking for a payday and some shyster lawyer convinced her she will be in high cotton after he takes is 50% cut of the pre fee award.
I think you are right about the payday, but there is the added bonus of "punishing" Moore for standing up to the allegations. No matter what the verdict is, he will incur legal expenses.

The Liberals are not done thrashing anyone who resists the collective hive mind.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2018, 11:21:29 pm »

I think the only thing Roy has to offer in damages is a busted down nag and a smelly leather vest.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2018, 11:27:23 pm »
I think the only thing Roy has to offer in damages is a busted down nag and a smelly leather vest.

Some trades are better than others.

Offline edpc

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2018, 11:49:29 pm »

The vest is made from a previous nag.

Online Wingnut

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2018, 11:54:06 pm »
The vest is made from a previous nag.

Which one of them nags post here?