Author Topic: It's Likely Our Ancestors Lived Longer Than We Thought  (Read 635 times)

rangerrebew

It's Likely Our Ancestors Lived Longer Than We Thought
« on: January 04, 2018, 02:25:57 pm »

By Stephen Luntz
04 Jan 2018, 10:39

Modern medicine and plumbing have greatly extended humans' average life-expectancy. However, a study of teeth from ancient English burial sites suggests we might have overestimated this effect by failing to realize how common it was for people in previous centuries to reach an advanced age.

Christine Cave, a PhD student at the Australian National University, developed a new method for determining age of death by looking at teeth wear, after recognizing the problem with current estimates of ancient life expectancies. “When you are determining the age of children you use developmental points like tooth eruption or the fusion of bones that all happen at a certain age," she explained. "Once people are fully grown it becomes increasingly difficult to determine their age from skeletal remains, which is why most studies just have a highest age category of 40 plus or 45 plus.”

http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/its-likely-our-ancestors-lived-longer-than-we-thought/

Offline seax

• Liberalism is a mental disorder!
    • My Image Gallery
Re: It's Likely Our Ancestors Lived Longer Than We Thought
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 12:00:38 am »

By Stephen Luntz
04 Jan 2018, 10:39

Modern medicine and plumbing have greatly extended humans' average life-expectancy. However, a study of teeth from ancient English burial sites suggests we might have overestimated this effect by failing to realize how common it was for people in previous centuries to reach an advanced age.

Christine Cave, a PhD student at the Australian National University, developed a new method for determining age of death by looking at teeth wear, after recognizing the problem with current estimates of ancient life expectancies. “When you are determining the age of children you use developmental points like tooth eruption or the fusion of bones that all happen at a certain age," she explained. "Once people are fully grown it becomes increasingly difficult to determine their age from skeletal remains, which is why most studies just have a highest age category of 40 plus or 45 plus.”

http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/its-likely-our-ancestors-lived-longer-than-we-thought/

I heard an interesting conversation a few months back on how old people use to live and the Neanderthals.  I'm not saying this is right, have not done any research on it myself just heard the video, but they were saying the older a human gets his brow line pertrudes outward, or creating a beetle brow....much like the aboriginals.  They said that the Neanderthals or the remains could be of humans that lived the excessive amounts of time as quoted in the Bible.  This may be bogus, but thought I would mention it.  Would be interesting to know if that in fact happens, if someone lives that long.

Good info and post.

seax :cool:
“There are 10^11 stars in the galaxy. That used to be a huge number. But it’s only a hundred billion. It’s less than the national deficit! We used to call them astronomical numbers. Now we should call them economical numbers.” – Richard Feynman, 1965 Nobel Prize in Physics winner.
People will forgive you for just about everything...except for being right...when you are suppose to be wrong!

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 12:06:44 am »
I know nothing about this "Beetle Brow" of which you speak.  But science has always said a good indication of a long life is measured from 900 BC Oriental mans ball sack. Won Hung Lo is good but two is better.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline seax

• Liberalism is a mental disorder!
    • My Image Gallery
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 12:12:34 am »
lol....always good to know....whatever works...

:silly:
“There are 10^11 stars in the galaxy. That used to be a huge number. But it’s only a hundred billion. It’s less than the national deficit! We used to call them astronomical numbers. Now we should call them economical numbers.” – Richard Feynman, 1965 Nobel Prize in Physics winner.
People will forgive you for just about everything...except for being right...when you are suppose to be wrong!