Author Topic: Mother battling cancer delivers healthy baby girl  (Read 696 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Mother battling cancer delivers healthy baby girl
« on: December 26, 2017, 08:43:03 am »
Mother battling cancer delivers healthy baby girl
CBS News

SAN CLEMENTE, Calif. — A Southern California mother is especially grateful to be sharing her story of hope this Christmas. After receiving a scary diagnosis during her third pregnancy, she risked her own health to ensure the safety of her unborn child.

CBS News' Chris Martinez reports Jessica Dykstra was diagnosed with cancer on the same day that she learned she was having a baby girl. Hospital scans revealed she had a cancerous tumor growing on her left kidney.

Dykstra's doctors said she needed surgery, but she was fearful that the child, her third, could be harmed in the process.

She told her husband, Nate, she didn't "feel right about this." So the couple continued their search for more information, which led them to Dr. Georges-Pascal Haber.

Read more at: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/good-news/mother-battling-cancer-delivers-healthy-baby-girl/ar-BBHl1vc?OCID=ansmsnnews11

Story in a way related, per same news feed:

How one prayer turned a mom into a cancer-battling hope machine
TEGNA

Christmas always brings a twinge of fear to Nashville mom Farrell Mason.

About 15 years ago, Mason — a brand-new mom — was showing off her baby in her hometown in South Carolina when a family friend found a lump on the infant boy.

It was neuroblastoma, a rare cancer found in kids.

“It was pretty devastating,” Mason said.

“The baby’s born, and 10 weeks later, on Christmas Eve, you find out your child has cancer,” she said, softly. “It’s a game changer for sure.”

Read more at: http://www.wltx.com/news/nation-world/how-one-prayer-turned-a-mom-into-a-cancer-battling-hope-machine/502343157

Offline DB

Re: Mother battling cancer delivers healthy baby girl
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2017, 11:13:18 am »
I had partial nephrectomy on my right kidney for the same reason with 80% remaining. No fun at all... Kidney cancer usually goes unnoticed because by the time you have symptoms it has spread. Only about 8% of kidney cancer victims survive 5 years because of that. She and I were lucky it was found early. For me it was because I had a CT scan for diverticulitis and it inadvertently revealed a complex cyst on my right kidney that over the course of a few years turned into clear cell renal carcinoma. A 3.2 cm full blown malignant tumor. So not being super healthy saved my life...
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 11:17:20 am by DB »