Author Topic: Norway Becomes First Country To Switch Off FM Radio  (Read 473 times)

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
Norway Becomes First Country To Switch Off FM Radio
« on: December 14, 2017, 12:43:20 pm »
The Local NO
13 december 2017

[excerpt]

https://www.thelocal.no/20171213/norway-becomes-first-country-to-switch-off-fm-radio

As scheduled, the country's most northern regions and the Svalbard archipelago in the Arctic switched to Digital Audio Broadcasting (DAB) in the late morning, said Digitalradio Norge (DRN) which groups Norway's public and commercial radio.

The transition, which began on January 11th, allows for better sound quality, a greater number of channels and more functions, all at a cost eight times lower than FM radio, according to authorities.

The move has however been met with some criticism linked to technical incidents and claims that there is not sufficient DAB coverage across the country.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 12:43:54 pm by To-Whose-Benefit? »
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: Norway Becomes First Country To Switch Off FM Radio
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2017, 01:34:30 am »
I still listen to a couple of local FM Classical music stations in the car.

One of them is now broadcasting in "HD radio". Not sure if this is true "DAB" yet.
The HD signal in my area will "come in" and then "drop out" depending on where you are. You can tell when that happens by the change in the audio quality.