Author Topic: The World Might Be Better Off Without College for Everyone  (Read 991 times)

Offline endicom

The World Might Be Better Off Without College for Everyone
« on: December 08, 2017, 11:45:34 pm »
The Atlantic
Bryan Caplan
JANUARY/FEBRUARY 2018 ISSUE 

I have been in school for more than 40 years. First preschool, kindergarten, elementary school, junior high, and high school. Then a bachelor’s degree at UC Berkeley, followed by a doctoral program at Princeton. The next step was what you could call my first “real” job—as an economics professor at George Mason University.

Thanks to tenure, I have a dream job for life. Personally, I have no reason to lash out at our system of higher education. Yet a lifetime of experience, plus a quarter century of reading and reflection, has convinced me that it is a big waste of time and money. When politicians vow to send more Americans to college, I can’t help gasping, “Why? You want us to waste even more?”

How, you may ask, can anyone call higher education wasteful in an age when its financial payoff is greater than ever? The earnings premium for college graduates has rocketed to 73 percent—that is, those with a bachelor’s degree earn, on average, 73 percent more than those who have only a high-school diploma, up from about 50 percent in the late 1970s. The key issue, however, isn’t whether college pays, but why. The simple, popular answer is that schools teach students useful job skills. But this dodges puzzling questions.

More... https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2018/01/whats-college-good-for/546590/

Offline Applewood

Re: The World Might Be Better Off Without College for Everyone
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 01:21:34 am »
If I had kids, I would not send them to college.  Colleges don't teach anything.  Social justice cr@p, drinking, drugs, sports.  Kids graduate and they can't fill out a job application. 

I'd send them to a trade, technical or business school.  At leadt, they would learn something that could lead to gainful employment.

Offline endicom

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2017, 02:34:19 am »
If I had kids, I would not send them to college.  Colleges don't teach anything.  Social justice cr@p, drinking, drugs, sports.  Kids graduate and they can't fill out a job application. 

I'd send them to a trade, technical or business school.  At leadt, they would learn something that could lead to gainful employment.

Online learning and 'testing out.' It's possible to test out of most of an undergraduate degree and doing so is relatively inexpensive.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 02:34:57 am by endicom »

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2017, 02:39:35 am »
I prefer driving over bridges that have been designed by someone that has at least a Bachelor's degree of understanding in physics, mathematics, structures, materials, etc.

Offline endicom

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2017, 02:49:04 am »
I prefer driving over bridges that have been designed by someone that has at least a Bachelor's degree of understanding in physics, mathematics, structures, materials, etc.

Some programs require a good amount of hands-on or in-person training but most courses do not.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2017, 02:49:42 am »

Online roamer_1

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2017, 02:57:27 am »

No offense, darlin', but that depends entirely upon the bridge. I've built a few, and they're all still there.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2017, 02:59:57 am »
No offense, darlin', but that depends entirely upon the bridge. I've built a few, and they're all still there.

And no offense back atcha, but I bet they weren't intended for highway type loads and frequencies.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2017, 03:00:37 am »

Some programs require a good amount of hands-on or in-person training but most courses do not.

I believe all states have gone to requiring both for licensure.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2017, 03:02:32 am »
And no offense back atcha, but I bet they weren't intended for highway type loads and frequencies.

Nope. Some of them were walkways, some for a side by side or less... Some for heavy access across a creek to a residence (Concrete truck or less).

Like I say, depends entirely upon the bridge...

888high58888
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 03:03:01 am by roamer_1 »

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2017, 03:21:06 am »

Read or heard that apprenticeship programs would be good for students with lower scholastic aptitudes, rather than hold out false hope that college is the way for them to plan for.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline endicom

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2017, 03:25:09 am »
I believe all states have gone to requiring both for licensure.

For engineering? At least some states have rules for advertising yourself as an engineer.

To qualify for the PE gets complicated. You may need an ABET degree and so many years experience. Or, perhaps, a non-ABET degree and more years of experience or other additional qualifications. Sometimes a technology degree will do if enough additional qualifications are met.

As per usual, it depends.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2017, 04:36:27 am »
For engineering? At least some states have rules for advertising yourself as an engineer.

To qualify for the PE gets complicated. You may need an ABET degree and so many years experience. Or, perhaps, a non-ABET degree and more years of experience or other additional qualifications. Sometimes a technology degree will do if enough additional qualifications are met.

As per usual, it depends.

Yes, I should have been more clear; for engineering.  Florida used to allow non-degreed people to sit for the test for their license if they had a certain number of years of experience under a PE and the PE would "sponsor" them, but they stopped allowing that about 10 years ago now I think and I thought that most, if not all, states had done the same.  Now you have to have graduated with a minimum 4 year ABET degree.  There's a lot of things that the Board has done that I do not agree with and that is one of them

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2017, 02:15:08 pm »
In the near future plumbers, electricians, AC techs, welding techs, and others like them are going to make the kind of money doctors and lawyers are making today because most young people today want nothing to do with careers than require them to do any actual work and possibly get their hands dirty.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2017, 02:26:19 pm »

Agreed but only the best and brightest should not be going to college to learn those things and not forced to struggle against and endless stream of students who would be better served by trade schools and apprenticeship programs.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 02:28:51 pm by Cripplecreek »

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2017, 02:27:52 pm »
In the near future plumbers, electricians, AC techs, welding techs, and others like them are going to make the kind of money doctors and lawyers are making today because most young people today want nothing to do with careers than require them to do any actual work and possibly get their hands dirty.

Yep also skilled craftsman jobs are making  a comeback. A HS classmate does terrazzo(sic) floors. Travels all over the country installing floors in Fortune 500 company home offices. Does very well financially.

Certified welders in my area are making  140k per year working on gas lines.

@Bigun