Author Topic: What the Constitution says about cakes and compelled speech.  (Read 3056 times)

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Re: What the Constitution says about cakes and compelled speech.
« Reply #50 on: December 05, 2017, 07:55:46 pm »
What "inconsistent morality"?   Do you criticize what Kevin Spacey did?  If so, then why not Roy Moore?   THAT would be an example of "inconsistent morality".  And the immorality of Spacey and Moore -skeevy perverts both - is no reason to oppose the right of adult gays and lesbians to marry under the civil law.   

Yet Christians find LGBTQ as skeevy, immoral, and disgusting, but they are bigots.

Moore molested no one. His accusers stories have been blown to bits. Your objection is that he legally dated teenage girls because he was too old.

So if a 35 y/o choose to marry an 18 y/o you would advocate rejecting them for a cake because of the age diffference, but somehow that is OK.  You endorse one morality and reject another and call that equality.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 07:56:34 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2017, 08:49:19 pm »
The case revolves around a man named Jack Phillips. Jack is a baker. He makes and decorates
cakes. He has a simple rule: he’ll sell anyone a cake. Gay, straight, transgender, green. Anyone. But he
won’t make a custom cake for every event. As a religious Christian, this means that he sees it as sinful
participation to make a custom cake celebrating a same-sex wedding. So he’ll make a cake for a same-
sex wedding, but he won’t decorate it as such (no groom-groom wedding toppers, for example). He also
refuses to make cakes that push anti-gay messages, anti-American messages, and adult-
themed messages

That’s his Constitutional right. But the Leftists at the Colorado Civil Rights Commission didn’t think so.
They think that Jack must be forced to violate his own religious beliefs and decorate a cake for a same-
sex wedding, or stop making any cakes at all. As a result of their ruling, Jack lost 40% of his business
and more than half of his employees — all for abiding by his Biblical beliefs in the most tolerant possible
way. He was even told that he had to re-educate employees, including his family members, and report to
the government what his artistic decisions were, listing all the cakes he’d failed to bake and why . . .

. . . . . .  What makes this case so compelling is the religious aspect; we all know religious people with scruples
strong enough to withstand the draw of capitalistic enterprise. But this isn’t a religious case at all. It’s a
freedom of association and freedom of speech case. Religious practice shouldn’t be bound to the home or
church — religious life infuses every aspect of living. But by the same token, an atheist should be free to
reject a Christ-themed cake, a Leftist speechwriter should be free to reject a right-wing politician, and The
New Republic should be free to refuse to deliver to the Trump White House. Does this mean that people
we dislike will be able to act in ways we dislike? Absolutely. But freedom lives in the spaces where we
acknowledge that we have no right to another’s labor or approval. Tyranny grows when we refuse to
acknowledge those spaces . . .

---Ben Shapiro, The Daily Wire.

Emphasis added.---EA.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 08:50:12 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2017, 04:10:30 am »
Emphasis added.---EA.
Yes, ultimately it is not basically a religious or artistic issue, it is a free speech issue. If a baker can be forced to bake a homosexual designed cake, any business can be forced to make anything any customer demands.
You make widgets of a certain design and only that design? A customer comes into your shop and demands you make him or her a different design.
You will not be able to refuse to make what the customer wants on the grounds of "discrimination" against the customer. It doesn't matter if it violates your conscience or you lose money making designs you do not want to make, you now have to make them or be fined or put out of business for "discriminating."
The correct term for what Jazzhead and others like him are advocating is fascism.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2017, 05:38:32 am »
No, it's not.  Phillips never had any discussion with the customers regarding the design or message on the wedding cake.   The only reason for his refusal was who his customers were.   Why should a gay customer be able to get brownies but not a wedding cake?     

Fine, have it your way.  A gay customer shouldn't be able to get brownies either.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #54 on: December 06, 2017, 05:45:07 am »
Fine, have it your way.  A gay customer shouldn't be able to get brownies either.

Depending on how you read that, it could mean two different things.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #55 on: December 06, 2017, 05:46:03 am »
Depending on how you read that, it could mean two different things.

What do you mean?

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #56 on: December 06, 2017, 05:47:50 am »
What do you mean?

Just some lingo I picked up on my trip to Bar Harbor......for research proposes.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #57 on: December 06, 2017, 05:50:27 am »
Just some lingo I picked up on my trip to Bar Harbor......for research proposes.

You're going to have to explain further otherwise I have no idea what you're talking about.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #58 on: December 06, 2017, 06:01:58 am »
You're going to have to explain further otherwise I have no idea what you're talking about.

I can't go into it on a family forum. You know how many kids are reading this?

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #59 on: December 06, 2017, 06:03:10 am »
I can't go into it on a family forum. You know how many kids are reading this?

Besides me?  Right now 5.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #60 on: December 06, 2017, 06:35:56 am »
Besides me?  Right now 5.

Bunch of juvenile delinquents. Don't their parents know what time it is?

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #61 on: December 06, 2017, 06:48:29 am »
Bunch of juvenile delinquents. Don't their parents know what time it is?

It's okay, they're being supervised by an AL judge.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.