Author Topic: Dogs really ARE smarter than cats: Canines have more than twice as many brain cells linked to intell  (Read 1529 times)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
    Experts found that dogs have more neurons in their cerebral cortex than cats
    The region has been linked with thinking, planning and complex behaviours
    Dogs have around 530 million cortical neurons while cats have 250 million
    The researchers found bigger brains do not always have more cortical neurons

By Harry Pettit For Mailonline

Published: 05:42 EST, 30 November 2017 | Updated: 06:55 EST, 30 November 2017

The debate over whether dogs or cats are the smartest pet has raged for decades, if not centuries.

But in a twist that is sure to ruffle the fur of cat-lovers, new research shows that dogs are more intelligent than their feline foes after all.

Experts showed that dogs have more than twice as many brain cells in a region linked with thinking, planning and other complex behaviours...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-5131945/Dogs-really-smarter-cats-research-suggests.html

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Dogs spend most of their time thinking of how to make their owner (aka pack leader) happy.

Cats spend most of their time thinking of ways to kill their subject.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
And are pigs actually smarter than both? Maybe. Where does that leave us?

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
I never bought the theory that cats are smarter than dogs. There are so many stories of canine heroism, returning home from long distances, and rescuing and helping humans. Think of the variety of service dogs! Dogs are the best.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline TomSea

A lot of stories of dogs killing people, babies, etc. as well.

Offline driftdiver

And are pigs actually smarter than both? Maybe. Where does that leave us?

With BBQ?

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Yes, but almost always mis-bred pit mixes.

Offline driftdiver

@TomSea
Only happens when dogs are 1)trying to protect their master or 2) are abused which would  include neglect, fighting etc

With the exception of dogs that have been bred to fight a properly trained and treated dog will not kill without cause.

Offline TomSea

@TomSea
Only happens when dogs are 1)trying to protect their master or 2) are abused which would  include neglect, fighting etc

With the exception of dogs that have been bred to fight a properly trained and treated dog will not kill without cause.

Conjecture. This can not be objectively sourced. Oh, sure, a pit bull kills a baby or even a lab which has happened. Oh, he was trying to protect his master.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Conjecture. This can not be objectively sourced. Oh, sure, a pit bull kills a baby or even a lab which has happened. Oh, he was trying to protect his master.

OK, Tom.  What's your point regarding the topic of this thread?

Offline TomSea

Yes, but almost always mis-bred pit mixes.

I read a story where a lab killed a child, there are too many examples of this. Also, of Alaskan Huskies or Malamutes, lovable dogs but they have shown to be dangerous as well.

Dog killed ripped 2-month-old baby's legs off while father slept in other room: police
BY Michael Sheridan

A supposedly "gentle" pooch named Lucky is suspected of killing a 2-month-old baby and tearing the child's body apart in South Carolina.

Aiden McGrew, who was born on Valentine's Day and was the youngest of three children, was found dead in his family's mobile home Friday in Ridgeville by his mother, according to The Post and Courier newspaper.

The baby was in a swing when Lucky, a golden retriever-Labrador mix, bit the child several times and tore off his legs, authorities said.

Continued: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/dog-killed-2-month-old-baby-ripped-child-legs-father-slept-room-police-article-1.1065711

I think I have even seen stories where cats have killed a baby so, pigs are the way to go and smarter than cats and dogs.

Offline TomSea

And this is not to even mention the daily incidences of dogs causing harm biting people and things like that. That happens often. I have even been bitten by a German Shepherd and it was pretty serious.

Offline TomSea

OK, Tom.  What's your point regarding the topic of this thread?
I already stated it, apparently pigs are smarter than both.

Offline driftdiver

@TomSea
Not conjecture, its knowledge of dogs.

Dogs should not be left alone with new babies because they see them as a threat for the affection of the owner.  Not an unusual action in animals.    When properly socialized and not neglected a dog will accept a baby as part of the family and will protect that baby.

Pit Bulls were bred to fight.  They make great pets with the proper owner but if their instincts for fighting are triggered they are very dangerous. 

Offline TomSea

@TomSea
Not conjecture, its knowledge of dogs.

Dogs should not be left alone with new babies because they see them as a threat for the affection of the owner.  Not an unusual action in animals.    When properly socialized and not neglected a dog will accept a baby as part of the family and will protect that baby.

Pit Bulls were bred to fight.  They make great pets with the proper owner but if their instincts for fighting are triggered they are very dangerous.

So, it's your knowledge. Okay.

Offline TomSea

Save the excuses, I only need to go back one day to find a story of dogs killing a person.

4 dogs kill Alabama woman; seriously injure another
By Associated Press November 29 at 3:12 PM

GUNTERSVILLE, Ala. — An attack by four dogs has left one woman dead and another seriously injured in Alabama.

WAFF-TV reports the attack happened Wednesday morning in Guntersville, which is about 70 miles (115 kilometers) north of Birmingham. The TV station quotes authorities as saying 46-year-old Tracey Patterson Cornelius of Guntersville was killed and another woman was seriously injured and being treated at a hospital. Her name was not released.

Authorities say Marshall County Animal Control captured all but one of the dogs involved in the attack.

Continued at: https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/4-dogs-kill-alabama-woman-seriously-injure-another/2017/11/29/9bd36ac6-d541-11e7-9ad9-ca0619edfa05_story.html?utm_term=.9e70602543df

Offline driftdiver

So, it's your knowledge. Okay.

No its knowledge of anyone who knows dogs and isnt an emotional wreck.

When dogs hurt people its almost always because of something their owner did or didnt do.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
@TomSea, it sure looks like you're here just to be argumentative.  Take it elsewhere please.

No pigs in the story and no homicidal dogs. 

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
In the 1970s the Doberman Pinscher breed, held the same "dangerous" status as the Pit Bull breed does, now.

Insert image functionality no longer works for me.

Win 10

It stopped working a few days before the recent "upgrade" outage

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline driftdiver

In the 1970s the Doberman Pinscher breed, held the same "dangerous" status as the Pit Bull breed does, now.

Insert image functionality no longer works for me.

Win 10

It stopped working a few days before the recent "upgrade" outage

Fortunately we have records now and know that pit bulls are responsible for the vast majority of deaths related to dog bites.

Dobermans had a tough image but aren't even close to the top of the list.

Offline TomSea

No its knowledge of anyone who knows dogs and isnt an emotional wreck.

When dogs hurt people its almost always because of something their owner did or didnt do.

So? Truth remains dogs kill humans periodically.

Offline TomSea

@TomSea, it sure looks like you're here just to be argumentative.  Take it elsewhere please.

No pigs in the story and no homicidal dogs.

Someone said "dogs are the best", why don't you jump on other people's cases then? Are you or others just slamming cats as pets here? Do they not have the right to a defense?

I see them both as equals with good and bad. Sorry, you are trying to railroad this conversation.

Offline driftdiver

So? Truth remains dogs kill humans periodically.

Humans kill a lot more dogs

Offline TomSea

My comment on this thread was totally ontopic when someone said "cats are just thinking of how to kill you" or words like that. Excuse me, it's dogs that we hear from time to time kill people but @Sanguine wants to lecture someone that they are going off topic.

Same thing in talking about the intelligence of animals. Pigs are smarter than both.