Author Topic: Poll: Roy Moore Opens Up Seven-Point Lead over Democrat Doug Jones in Alabama Senate Race  (Read 7643 times)

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
What's interesting is that he's still not denied that as a thirty-something assistant DA he dated teenagers.

That's because it is unwise to deny things that happened 35+ years ago because people can fabricate evidence that you are lying and it is almost impossible to prove your innocence after that length of time.

If the accusers have evidence of wrongdoing, let them bring it forward. Otherwise, it's time to play the Quiet Game.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline roamer_1

So I'm curious - did you read the WaPo article?   It struck me as responsibly researched and corroborated, and even (dare I say it) mostly fair.   What specifically about the article itself did you find irresponsible or unfair?    (I tend to agree with you about the woman dredged up by Gloria Allred,  a true whore (Allred, I mean).  But the WaPo piece struck me as entirely credible.)   

Yes I read it, and I admit, with a jaundiced eye - In the first place, the timing of the article is extraordinarily partisan. By sheer coincidence, it just happened that the story broke a couple days past when Moore could step off and another name put on the ballot. How very convenient for the democrat that WAPO endorsed.

And the bit about WAPO reporters innocently being in Alabama working on another story, when all these women contacted them out of the blue... That made me hoot out loud (HA! There isn't another story in Alabama that WAPO would care about).

And the construction of the charges - Nothing that would wind up in a court, but not something that could be ignored... Needless to say, I was highly skeptical, and the whole thing felt contrived right out of the gate - And then, Gloria Allred shows up and the con job is confirmed. Right out of the Dem playbook. They're Borking the poor bastard.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
So... let me guess.  You have no problem at all with destroying his career of four decades.... based merely on the conveniently, if not suspiciously, timed accusations alone.... with absolute no proof whatsoever of any of these claims?   

Ends justify the means by whatever is required when it comes to Leftists, and their Apologists and Acolytes.  He hates Moore even exists, much less the fact he held office and is a candidate for national office.  Like the Oligarchy he marches for, he is of the same mindset that believes the 'hypocrites, bigots and Christian fanatics' of rural Alabama are not smart enough to choose their own rulers.

So....lefties and leftie sympathizers..... show some proof of his guilt... or STFU and let the man have the same rights as everyone supposedly has (or is supposed to have) in America...

a presumption of innocence until proven guilty.

He's not gonna.  As he opined, Moore is already guilty in his 'common sense court of public opinion' and that is all that matters.

It is the new tactic that tyrants and Statists desire to becomes the tool-of-choice to subvert the will of the people, in conjunction with Activist judges who push the narratives into 'law' by decree.

Mob rule, even when he screeches at the top of his lungs 'rule of law' when he finds himself in minority.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Otherwise, it's time to play the Quiet Game.

Please tell me Jaye Davidson isn't involved.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Please tell me Jaye Davidson isn't involved.

OK, you sent me to Google for that.   :silly:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline RetBobbyMI

Law of Defamation in Alabama - A difficult notion to prove.

"Defamation is essentially an injury to reputation. In Alabama, defamation is defined as a false statement of fact, published or spoken with some degree of fault, that tends to harm the reputation of another so as to lower him or her in the estimation of the community.  Libel and slander are types of defamatory statements. Libel is a written defamatory statement, and slander is a spoken or oral defamatory statement.

As in every case, the person bringing a defamation claim bears the burden of proof related to the elements of the cause of action and the damages claimed. The first legal hurdle in a defamation case is proving the statement in issue is false. Second, one must prove the statement was made with some degree of fault. This could include an actual intent to harm, but also could include a statement made carelessly. Next, one must show that the statement in question did in fact hurt or harm her reputation with the recipient (and to others who may have also received or heard of the false statement.) Finally, a claimant must prove the extent and nature of the damages caused by the false statement.

These four hurdles make defamation/libel cases somewhat difficult because unless one can prove all four elements, her case will not be successful. Alabama law does allow the recovery of punitive damages for defamatory statements but the claimant must also prove by clear and convincing evidence that the defendant consciously or deliberately engaged in oppression, fraud, wantonness, or malice with regard to the plaintiff in order to recover punitive damages. Also, before punitive damages can be considered in a libel action, the claimant must have requested a retraction before filing a lawsuit.

Defenses to defamation

Truth is an absolute defense to defamation.  That is, the claimant has the burden of proving that the statement in question is false.  If the statement is true or substantially true, then the claim will fail.  Likewise, a statement of opinion may not be considered defamatory.  That does not mean, however, that a person can insulate herself by adding the phrase “In my opinion” to a otherwise defamatory statement of fact.  “Satire” is also a defense to defamation (which is one way that comedians and late night talk show hosts get away with much of their material)."
Source: https://www.alabamapersonalinjurylawyersblog.com/2015/10/16/law-of-defamation/
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy