Author Topic: U.S. Report Says Humans Cause Climate Change, Contradicting Top Trump Officials  (Read 1244 times)

Offline Suppressed

U.S. Report Says Humans Cause Climate Change, Contradicting Top Trump Officials
By LISA FRIEDMAN and GLENN THRUSH | NOV. 3, 2017
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/03/climate/us-climate-report.html

WASHINGTON — Directly contradicting much of the Trump administration’s position on climate change, 13 federal agencies unveiled an exhaustive scientific report on Friday that says humans are the dominant cause of the global temperature rise that has created the warmest period in the history of civilization.

Over the past 115 years global average temperatures have increased 1.8 degrees Fahrenheit, leading to record-breaking weather events and temperature extremes, the report says. The global, long-term warming trend is “unambiguous,” it says, and there is “no convincing alternative explanation” that anything other than humans — the cars we drive, the power plants we operate, the forests we destroy — are to blame.

The report was approved for release by the White House, but the findings come as the Trump administration is defending its climate change policies. The United Nations convenes its annual climate change conference next week in Bonn, Germany, and the American delegation is expected to face harsh criticism over President Trump’s decision to walk away from the 195-nation Paris climate accord and top administration officials’ stated doubts about the causes and impacts of a warming planet.

[...]
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.

Are these the same people who won't be getting grant money from the EPA any more?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline DemolitionMan

Are these the same people who won't be getting grant money from the EPA any more?

:beer:
"Of Arms and Man I Sing"-The Aenid written by Virgil-Virgil commenced his epic story of Aeneas and the founding of Rome with the words: Arma virumque cano--"Of arms and man I sing.Aeneas receives full treatment in Roman mythology, most extensively in Virgil's Aeneid, where he is an ancestor of Romulus and Remus. He became the first true hero of Rome

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
And, if the "reporters" had actually read the paper the holes in it would have become apparent even to them.

Online Smokin Joe

And, if the "reporters" had actually read the paper the holes in it would have become apparent even to them.
I went looking for data, and found a lot of information on A new technique for statistically downscaling climate model simulations of daily temperature and precipitation is introduced and demonstrated over the western United Stateshttp://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/abs/10.1175/JHM-D-14-0082.1][url]http://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/abs/10.1175/JHM-D-14-0082.1[/url]

Look as i might I saw presentations with pixels that covered a fourth of a State, and plenty of armwaving, but in the end, projections which become more dire and accelerated farther out, temporally--much like the hockey stick, just moved down the road. Any idea where someone can see their data?

I also saw reference to 'limited computer capacity', and frankly, with all the money dumped in the climate change coffers over the years would expect they could buy or rent some pretty bodacious number crunchers by now.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
I also saw reference to 'limited computer capacity', and frankly, with all the money dumped in the climate change coffers over the years would expect they could buy or rent some pretty bodacious number crunchers by now.

All those previously dumped in $$$ are the exact  problem!  Just like a crack addict, they want more and aren't above fabrication in order to get it.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline the_doc

The global, long-term warming trend is “unambiguous,” it says, and there is “no convincing alternative explanation” that anything other than humans — the cars we drive, the power plants we operate, the forests we destroy — are to blame.

Liars and fools are everywhere in our Deep State.

They are citing a century of warming as though it makes their sensationalistic case for them.  It does not do so.  The warming stopped when sunspot activity fell off.  Trend lines cannot be extrapolated when we  have a "convincing alternative explanation," as we definitely do have.

Online Smokin Joe

Liars and fools are everywhere in our Deep State.

They are citing a century of warming as though it makes their sensationalistic case for them.  It does not do so.  The warming stopped when sunspot activity fell off.  Trend lines cannot be extrapolated when we  have a "convincing alternative explanation," as we definitely do have.
I guess they missed the whole spiel about "Past performance is no guarantee of future returns."

Why they think they can continue the relentless extrapolation of data in historically self-limiting systems is beyond me.

C S Lewis

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran

I am not a scientist. But I know a bit of earth's overall history. We had warmer periods, and then ice ages.

More than once, and before the internal combustion engine.

Was that warming caused by Neanderthal camp fires?

"Sponsored by a grant from the National Science Foundation to the Denver Museum of Natural History. Ever wondered what the ground below you was like millions of years ago? Merging paleontology, geology, and artistry, Ancient Wyoming illustrates scenes from the distant past and provides fascinating details on the flora and fauna of the past 300 million years. The book provides a unique look at Wyoming, both as it is today and as it was throughout ancient history—at times a vast ocean, a lush rain forest, and a mountain prairie."

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran

How did it warm enough, to force the ice age(s) to recede?

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online Smokin Joe

Ever wondered what the ground below you was like millions of years ago?
I have, and from describing samples from grass roots to the crystalline basement rocks here (some 15,000 ft., more or less) for the vast majority of the time those rocks were being laid down, this was a hostile place, even by North Dakota standards. Over 700 ft. of that rock is salt...

C S Lewis

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

I agree with the report that humans cause climate change.  I do that every time I piss into the ocean.   But like that action, the effect is so minuscule it really doesn't matter.

And BTW, who is saying all climate change is bad for us anyway?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Smokin Joe

I agree with the report that humans cause climate change.  I do that every time I piss into the ocean.   But like that action, the effect is so minuscule it really doesn't matter.

And BTW, who is saying all climate change is bad for us anyway?
I noted their projections included warmer winters and slightly warmer summers (here in North Dakota).
My only question is ...What can I do to help?

C S Lewis

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Smokin Joe wonders:
"Why they think they can continue the relentless extrapolation of data in historically self-limiting systems is beyond me."

They're out of power now, so might as well go all-in on the big lie.
What have they go left to lose?

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Smokin Joe wonders:
"Why they think they can continue the relentless extrapolation of data in historically self-limiting systems is beyond me."

They're out of power now, so might as well go all-in on the big lie.
What have they go left to lose?
Really?  Last time I filled up it still contained up to 10% ethanol.  Nothing has been done by the ones in power to change that either.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Smokin Joe

Really?  Last time I filled up it still contained up to 10% ethanol.  Nothing has been done by the ones in power to change that either.
You're lucky it was only 10% (there is no maximum in the Renewable Fuels Mandate, just a set amount of ethanol to be blended in. If we had had a GOP presidential Primary, or even a caucus, in this state I would have voted for the guy who said he'd get rid of that mandate. The one in there is just fulfilling a promise.

http://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/266339-trump-calls-for-higher-ethanol-mandate January 2016, a blast from the past.

C S Lewis