Author Topic: Nazi Germany's Tiger Tank: Hitler's Wonder Weapon or Paper Tiger?  (Read 661 times)

Offline DemolitionMan

Michael Peck

Heavy tanks like the King Tiger proved a dead end. After 1945, nations switched to building main battle tanks that had sufficient firepower and armor to breach enemy defenses, like heavy tanks, while being mobile enough to exploit breakthroughs like medium and light tanks.

Nazi Germany's Tiger is arguably the most famous tank of World War II. With its thick armor and devastating 88-millimeter gun, the Mark VI—or Tiger I—soon earned a devastating reputation on the battlefield.

http://nationalinterest.org/blog/the-buzz/nazi-germanys-tiger-tank-hitlers-wonder-weapon-or-paper-22932
"Of Arms and Man I Sing"-The Aenid written by Virgil-Virgil commenced his epic story of Aeneas and the founding of Rome with the words: Arma virumque cano--"Of arms and man I sing.Aeneas receives full treatment in Roman mythology, most extensively in Virgil's Aeneid, where he is an ancestor of Romulus and Remus. He became the first true hero of Rome

Offline Free Vulcan

• Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Re: Nazi Germany's Tiger Tank: Hitler's Wonder Weapon or Paper Tiger?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 06:36:32 am »
If you ever go to the Patton museum in Ft. Knox, KY, you will be able to see a Tiger up close and personal, as well as touch it.

And it is awesome.
The Republic is lost.

Offline DemolitionMan

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2017, 06:44:40 am »
If you ever go to the Patton museum in Ft. Knox, KY, you will be able to see a Tiger up close and personal, as well as touch it.

And it is awesome.

The only problem with the tank is because it cost too much in material and manpower. It would have been a potential game changer if produced in mass quantities.
"Of Arms and Man I Sing"-The Aenid written by Virgil-Virgil commenced his epic story of Aeneas and the founding of Rome with the words: Arma virumque cano--"Of arms and man I sing.Aeneas receives full treatment in Roman mythology, most extensively in Virgil's Aeneid, where he is an ancestor of Romulus and Remus. He became the first true hero of Rome

Offline Free Vulcan

• Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2017, 07:05:49 am »
The only problem with the tank is because it cost too much in material and manpower. It would have been a potential game changer if produced in mass quantities.

True, but it is one fine piece of engineering.
The Republic is lost.