Author Topic: Cam Newton loses Dannon deal for saying: ‘It’s funny to hear a female talk about routes’ and the reporter apologizes, too  (Read 1626 times)

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
Cindy Boren and Des Bieler
The Washington Post
October 5, 2017

Cam Newton is taking a lot of heat — with good reason — for a sexist remark he made to a reporter Wednesday during his weekly media session and it has cost him one national endorsement deal. And in an odd development Thursday, the reporter involved apologized for what she called “offensive tweets from my Twitter account 4/5 years ago.”

Jourdan Rodrigue of the Charlotte Observer asked Newton this question: “I know you take a lot of pride in seeing your receivers play well. Devin Funchess has seemed to really embrace the physicality of his routes and getting those extra yards. Does that give you a little bit of enjoyment to see him kind of truck-sticking people out there?”

As soon as Rodrigue said the word “routes,” Newton began to smirk. The 28-year-old quarterback, in his seventh season with the Panthers, then told the assembled media, “It’s funny to hear a female talk about ‘routes.’” ...

On Thursday morning, old tweets by Rodrigue surfaced and she issued an apology...

More

@Bender2

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
"routes"?   I don't understand.   :shrug:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
"routes"?   I don't understand.   :shrug:

Neither do I.  Hopefully somebody can come along and explain it?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Neither do I.  Hopefully somebody can come along and explain it?

Shirley, you can't be serious.  @Cyber Liberty    ^-^

Ya think all receivers just run like hell toward the opponents' end and 'hope' the ball comes to them?   As in a "Hail Mary" pass?\

"Routes" are even used in street football..., as in "deke the defender at the white Plymouth and get ready for the ball at the manhole cover".   
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Shirley, you can't be serious.  @Cyber Liberty    ^-^

Ya think all receivers just run like hell toward the opponents' end and 'hope' the ball comes to them?   As in a "Hail Mary" pass?\

"Routes" are even used in street football..., as in "deke the defender at the white Plymouth and get ready for the ball at the manhole cover".

I guess I wasn't clear.  Why would it be amusing to hear a female say it?  Shirley.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline musiclady

Sometimes it's good to be ignorant of all the dirty talk the boys use in the locker room.   :shrug:

I have NO idea why a female's talking about "routes" is funny, nor why poor Cam doesn't know that lots of women understand football.

The whole thing is just weird, if you ask me......
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I guess I wasn't clear.  Why would it be amusing to hear a female say it?  Shirley.

Yeah, Shirley, why?

Offline Polly Ticks

Because women are stereo-typically supposed to have a poor sense of direction, I assume.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Because women are stereo-typically supposed to have a poor sense of direction, I assume.

Maybe they don't know how to run a button-hook?

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

Ah.  Could be.  Mrs. Liberty got lost when she was running errands while I was getting my teeth cleaned the other day, and she got lost going to Home Despot.  It was all of a half-mile away from the Dentist office.

9999hair out0000
I will NOT comply.

Offline Polly Ticks

Maybe they don't know how to run a button-hook?

Maybe some of them.  This one does.   ^-^
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Offline musiclady

I have an excellent sense of direction from years of navigating trips and the experience of being a choral director who has to be able to think backwards in order to get my choirs to be able to process and end up in the right spots on the platform.  :dx1:

I'm not fond of stereotypes, since I don't fit a single one of them.....
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline mountaineer

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Frank Cannon

Obviously Dannon did this because of this idiots Black Power salute....

Offline endicom

Offline Victoria33

@mystery-ak
@CatherineofAragon
To all of you on this thread:

Is that it - that women don't have a good sense of direction?  If that is the point, that football player had me in mind.  I can do a lot of things, and I am  smart, but I can get lost fast - I have been driving and get lost and go into a real panic and I mean a real panic.  I have this strong desire to stop the car, get out and walk away - it is that bad.  I know my familiar streets to do regular shopping, but out on a freeway, away from my familiar surroundings, I freak out.  It is a severe disability and I have been that way all my life.  I grew up in a small community and knew my way around, but put me in a city, and I am lost.

Of course, Bob knows this and threatens to put me out of the car all the time to see if I can find my way home.  I tell him I keep extra money in my purse so if he puts me out, I will walk to the nearest motel/hotel and he can come get me.  I hate to be this way but it is a reality I have to deal with.  Unless I know exactly how to get somewhere, I'm not going.

Anyone else have this problem?

Offline mountaineer

If he's laughing because women don't know anything about football, he'd better not come to my house during a football game. At least 10 times per game, I'll make a comment about a play, coverage, blown tackle, penalty, whatever - and one of the TV guys will say the exact same thing about 3 seconds later. It always makes Mr. M laugh, but I think the networks are spying on us.  :pondering:

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online DCPatriot

I like that take.   :beer:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
Observations:
  • Cam Newton temporarily forgot that women reporters have been allowed in the locker room for a half century.
  • Reporter Jourdan Rodrigue overreacted to Cam Newton's stupid comment.
  • Dannon overreacted by pulling Cam Newton's endorsement.
  • Everyone has overacted.

Online DCPatriot

Obviously Dannon did this because of this idiots Black Power salute....

Got to be. 

But personally, I didn't see anything wrong with the audio.   The video must change the context of his words.  It would be weird to sit down with an attractive woman who talks about running "routes" and striving for those extra yards, etc..

I can't see the outrage proportionate to the 'insult'.   So Dannon has other motives.

BTW....has anyone noticed the Chobani commercial advertising their "Greek-free" yogurt?   Their response to the boycott against them.   ^-^

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Observations:
  • Cam Newton temporarily forgot that women reporters have been allowed in the locker room for a half century.
  • Reporter Jourdan Rodrigue overreacted to Cam Newton's stupid comment.
  • Dannon overreacted by pulling Cam Newton's endorsement.
  • Everyone has overacted.

How much of that was brought on by the stress caused by the actions of Mr. Newton, as demonstrated by the picture several posts upthread?
I will NOT comply.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
How much of that was brought on by the stress caused by the actions of Mr. Newton, as demonstrated by the picture several posts upthread?

I was not aware of the black power salute.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
@mystery-ak
@CatherineofAragon
To all of you on this thread:

Is that it - that women don't have a good sense of direction?  If that is the point, that football player had me in mind.  I can do a lot of things, and I am  smart, but I can get lost fast - I have been driving and get lost and go into a real panic and I mean a real panic.  I have this strong desire to stop the car, get out and walk away - it is that bad.  I know my familiar streets to do regular shopping, but out on a freeway, away from my familiar surroundings, I freak out.  It is a severe disability and I have been that way all my life.  I grew up in a small community and knew my way around, but put me in a city, and I am lost.

Of course, Bob knows this and threatens to put me out of the car all the time to see if I can find my way home.  I tell him I keep extra money in my purse so if he puts me out, I will walk to the nearest motel/hotel and he can come get me.  I hate to be this way but it is a reality I have to deal with.  Unless I know exactly how to get somewhere, I'm not going.

Anyone else have this problem?

Why, yes, I do.  However, I have 2 GPSs and no longer worry about getting lost.   ^-^