Author Topic: The Day New York Tried to Secede  (Read 869 times)

rangerrebew

The Day New York Tried to Secede
« on: October 01, 2017, 10:14:58 am »
The Day New York Tried to Secede

By Ron Soodalter
10/26/2011 • ACW Feature, Civil War, Politics

By Connatix

A NOTE FROM THE EDITOR: Because of a production problem, a portion of this article was omitted from the January 2012 issue of America’s Civil War. It follows here in full.

During the first three months of 1861, New York City boldly flirted with leaving the Union. The reasons were decades in the making, but the sentiment was never more pointed than on January 6, 1861, when New York Mayor Fernando Wood addressed the city council. “It would seem that a dissolution of the Federal Union is inevitable,” he observed, noting the sympathy joining New York to “our aggrieved brethren of the Slave States” and suggesting that the city declare its own independence from the Union. “When Disunion has become a fixed and certain fact, why may not New York disrupt the bands which bind her to a venal and corrupt master—to a people and a party that have plundered her revenues, attempted to ruin her, take away the power of self-government, and de­stroyed the Confederacy of which she was the proud Empire City?”

http://www.historynet.com/the-day-new-york-tried-to-secede.htm

Offline DB

Re: The Day New York Tried to Secede
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 11:19:13 am »
So in many ways New York hasn't changed that much...

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 06:48:14 pm »
suggesting that the city declare its own independence from the Union. “When Disunion has become a fixed and certain fact, why may not New York disrupt the bands which bind her to a venal and corrupt master—to a people and a party that have plundered her revenues, attempted to ruin her, take away the power of self-government, and de­stroyed the Confederacy of which she was the proud Empire City?”

http://www.historynet.com/the-day-new-york-tried-to-secede.htm
That mayor would have been a good conservative in today's time.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2017, 07:05:12 pm »
Sounds like a typical immoral anti-abolitionist which of course, did exist everywhere.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2017, 08:04:04 pm »
Sounds like a typical immoral anti-abolitionist which of course, did exist everywhere.

LOL

So, do you advocate the US invade any sovereign nation with slavery?
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2017, 10:48:29 pm »
LOL

So, do you advocate the US invade any sovereign nation with slavery?
Where did you get that from what he wrote?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline DemolitionMan

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2017, 01:35:20 am »
You cannot forget the Draft Riots of 1863. Returning men from the Battle of Gettysburg had to quell the riots. New Yorkers never supported the war since the beginning.

http://www.civilwarhome.com/woolor.htm
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 01:42:56 am by DemolitionMan »
"Of Arms and Man I Sing"-The Aenid written by Virgil-Virgil commenced his epic story of Aeneas and the founding of Rome with the words: Arma virumque cano--"Of arms and man I sing.Aeneas receives full treatment in Roman mythology, most extensively in Virgil's Aeneid, where he is an ancestor of Romulus and Remus. He became the first true hero of Rome