Author Topic: Major League Soccer: Garber encourages MLS players to stand for anthem amid Trump controversy  (Read 577 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Excerpt:

Garber encourages MLS players to stand for anthem amid Trump controversy

"The march of players, officials and children into our stadiums and singing of the anthem has been a pre-match tradition since our first game in 1996," Garber said.

"The national anthem provides our clubs and fans an important and time-honored opportunity to salute our country and stand up for its principles – whether in the United States or in Canada.

"At the same time, freedom of speech – and the right to peaceful protest – are the hallmarks of both countries.

"Though we encourage our players to stand during the national anthem, we respect and support their right to express their personal beliefs."

More at: https://sports.yahoo.com/garber-encourages-mls-players-stand-000200694.html

I will be peeved if any players end up doing this stuff, hey, a sport that draws sometimes, 17,000 or something, should not get involved in this other.

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
If soccer supports the anthem... hey why not?

Offline TomSea

It's more of a problem in football and basketball because of their demographics while in my opinion, major league baseball and soccer are very diverse. If one goes by skin color, obviously, the NHL is very white but I would say they have been welcoming of minorities. In the NHL, skin color, imo, doesn't matter any.

Offline TomSea

When has affirmative action gone into effect in the NFL or NBA?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 01:29:05 am by TomSea »