Author Topic: Steelers Coach Didn’t Want Army Vet To Stand For Anthem  (Read 912 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Steelers Coach Didn’t Want Army Vet To Stand For Anthem
« on: September 25, 2017, 01:46:38 pm »
Steelers Coach Didn’t Want Army Vet To Stand For Anthem [VIDEO]

Peter Hasson
Associate Editor
8:23 PM 09/24/2017

Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin indicated Sunday night that he did not want offensive tackle Alejandro Villanueva to stand for the national anthem, instead of sitting it out with the rest of his teammates.

Villanueva, a former Army Ranger who served three tours in Afghanistan, was the only Steelers player to stand for the anthem. While Villanueva stood in the tunnel, hand over his heart, the rest of the team remained in the locker room in protest of President Trump’s comments that players who kneel during the national anthem should be fired.

more
http://dailycaller.com/2017/09/24/steelers-coach-didnt-want-army-vet-to-stand-for-anthem-video/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline anubias

Re: Steelers Coach Didn’t Want Army Vet To Stand For Anthem
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 03:15:38 pm »
Tomlin is obviously an imbecile.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 04:29:27 pm »
the rest of the team remained in the locker room in protest of President Trump’s comments that players who kneel during the national anthem should be fired.
Not exactly.
...  Steelers coach Mike Tomlin asked his team to determine a course of action with which the full 53-man roster could comply. Everyone does it, he said, or no one does. A players-only meeting concluded with no accord.

“So they chose to remove themselves from it,” Mr. Tomlin said after a 23-17 overtime loss Sunday. “They were not going to be disrespectful of the anthem, so they chose not to participate. But at the same time many of them were not going to accept the words of the president. We decided to sit it out, to not take the field, to remove ourselves from it, to focus on playing football.

“Those were our intentions.”

Regardless of intent, the result was a striking and symbolic image. Rather than present a unified front, abstaining from a highly charged conversation, the Steelers’ position appeared unclear. Seen one way, they had Mr. Villanueva’s back. Seen another way, they stranded him.  ...
More at Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 05:03:40 pm »
The NFL is 68 percent blacks. The management and ownership have allowed the inmates, to run the asylum.

It is the democratic thing to do.

The next important consideration, is to what extent will these actions, drive away significant numbers of PAYING fans? Permanently?

"Paying" as in filling seats, and buying products advertised on Television, on the dying cable network system.

The average NFL player, is paid the oppressing sum of $2 million, per year.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 05:03:59 pm »
I'm hearing a lot of different/mixed stories on this. Specifically around the other players. For example, one image you probably didn't see were the other players standing with Villanueva in the tunnel behind him. They didn't choose to stay in the locker room, nor did they kneel, they just didn't go out on the field.

As what the second article above states, the coach didn't want a spectacle either way, just focus on the game.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 05:06:59 pm »
I'm hearing a lot of different/mixed stories on this. Specifically around the other players. For example, one image you probably didn't see were the other players standing with Villanueva in the tunnel behind him. They didn't choose to stay in the locker room, nor did they kneel, they just didn't go out on the field.

As what the second article above states, the coach didn't want a spectacle either way, just focus on the game.

@AbaraXas
Staying in the tunnel created a spectacle.  Doing anything but lining up and  standing respectfully would create a spectacle.   No, Tomlin was trying to make a statement without having the balls to actually do it.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline anubias

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2017, 05:50:00 pm »
@AbaraXas
Staying in the tunnel created a spectacle.  Doing anything but lining up and  standing respectfully would create a spectacle.   No, Tomlin was trying to make a statement without having the balls to actually do it.

This ^^^^^

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline catfish1957

• If you are a democrat.... You are my enemy. We will never forget May 30, 2024. FJB
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2017, 07:07:27 pm »
Steelers Coach Rips Afghan War Vet Villanueva for Standing for the Anthem
http://www.breitbart.com/sports/2017/09/25/steelers-coach-rips-afghan-war-vet-coming-locker-room-anthem/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social

Congrats to the steel curtain......  now becoming the most hated team in the NFL.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2017, 08:54:11 pm »
Congrats to the steel curtain......  now becoming the most hated team in the NFL.
Even among Pittsburghers (like me). No one could have imagined this.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2017, 09:45:33 pm »
The Steelers must have had a good talking-to with Villanueva.Steelers Alejandro Villanueva: ‘I Threw My Teammates Under The Bus Unintentionally’. Mea culpa, sure.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2017, 11:28:11 pm »
Well this is awkward...

Rumor has it, tonight, a player will take a knee waiving a confederate flag to protest tearing down of monuments.

Offline anubias

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2017, 11:37:37 pm »
Well this is awkward...

Rumor has it, tonight, a player will take a knee waiving a confederate flag to protest tearing down of monuments.

Wouldn’t be surprised if the leftists paid somebody to do it to prop up the racist meme.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2017, 11:58:33 pm »

Amazing, I had not seen that picture.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2017, 12:23:06 pm »
Villanueva and Tomlin seem to be saying the same thing about what the Steelers were doing.