Author Topic: How to Stretch When You're in Pain  (Read 352 times)

rangerrebew

How to Stretch When You're in Pain
« on: September 04, 2017, 12:22:02 pm »
How to Stretch When You're in Pain
By Meryl Davids Landau
Medically Reviewed by Alexa Meara, MD

If you’re like most people, when you think of exercise you think of strengthening your muscles or doing cardio for your heart. But Miranda Esmonde-White, longtime host of PBS’s Classical Stretch and author of Forever Painless, wants you to also recognize the comparable importance of lengthening muscles.

“Movement requires a suppleness in strength, otherwise you are only tightening and compressing the muscles, which prevents them from working properly,” she says.

https://www.everydayhealth.com/rheumatoid-arthritis/symptoms/how-to-stretch-with-pain/

Offline aligncare

Re: How to Stretch When You're in Pain
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 01:20:32 pm »
Agree with authors. I've treated patients for over 35 years with joint and muscle pain and the first thing I taught older patients especially was proper stretching technique. Forget bulking up, that's for young bucks. Floor exercises will provide all the muscle toning you need. Focus on joint ROM, flexibility and symmetry, balance, coordination, and regular walks that concentrate on correcting bad walking habits. Strangely enough I have found that many people must relearn how to walk properly.

Needless to say, I follow my own advice.