Author Topic: Republicans targeting Nelson with billboard on algae bloom  (Read 381 times)

Offline RoosGirl

Republicans targeting Nelson with billboard on algae bloom
« on: August 28, 2017, 03:06:18 pm »
The National Republican Senatorial Committee is hoping to tie anger about the toxic algae bloom that has fouled waters in the Treasure Coast to U.S. Sen. Bill Nelson, a Democrat the GOP wants to knock off when he seeks re-election in 2018.

Starting today, commuters driving past Interstate 95 at 10th Avenue near exit 64 will see a billboard urging them to “TELL BILL NELSON: Do more to fix Florida’s algae crisis.”

Nelson authored legislation that was passed into law in 2014 to direct $82 million for research into the causes and control of algae blooms and to give additional resources to communities affected by them.

The senator has also sponsored legislation that would, for the first time, pave the way for states and local communities hit hard by algae blooms to get federal assistance.

That legislation passed the Senate’s Commerce Committee in May. The Senate’s GOP leadership will determine when it is brought to the floor.

Nelson, first elected to the Senate in 2000 after a stint in the U.S. House of Representatives, could face Gov. Rick Scott in what would be an expensive, all-out battle Democrats can’t afford to lose if they have any hope of recapturing a majority in the Senate.

The GOP is already at work softening up Nelson.

“After 40 years in Congress, Bill Nelson has only reinforced his ineffectiveness as a lawmaker,” NRSC Communications Director Katie Martin said. “Floridians deserve a senator who will win the fight to fix the algae crisis, and decades have proven that Bill Nelson isn’t the man for the job.”

Continued - http://postonpolitics.blog.palmbeachpost.com/2017/08/28/republicans-targeting-nelson-with-billboard-on-algae-bloom/

Offline libertybele

Re: Republicans targeting Nelson with billboard on algae bloom
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 04:13:49 pm »
I would love to see this good ole boy unseated! 
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 05:55:40 pm »
Me too!  And I think the Republicans were smart getting out ahead on this issue.

Wingnut

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 05:59:44 pm »
I hate that guy.