Author Topic: Physicists Accidentally Discover a Self-Destruct Button for the Entire Universe  (Read 1197 times)

rangerrebew

Physicists Accidentally Discover a Self-Destruct Button for the Entire Universe

November 1, 2016

by Philip Perry

It sounds like a plot from a comic book or a sci-fi film, a theory that got a boost when one of the greatest discoveries in physics in the modern era, the discovery of the “God particle,”or the Higgs boson, the missing piece in the Standard Model of particle physics. In the preface to his book Starmus, Stephen Hawking warns that the Higgs Boson field could collapse, resulting in a chain reaction that would take in the whole universe with it. 

http://bigthink.com/philip-perry/physicists-accidently-discover-a-self-destruct-button-for-the-entire-universe

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline The_Reader_David

Physicists Accidentally Discover a Self-Destruct Button for the Entire Universe

. . . Stephen Hawking warns that the Higgs Boson field could collapse, resulting in a chain reaction that would take in the whole universe with it. 

...and the heavens will be rolled up like a scroll...

And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
One persons self destruct button is another persons reset.

Offline dfwgator

...and I feel fine.

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
The Higgs Field is maintaining a low energy state at the moment. But some believe it is slowly transitioning to a high energy state. When it does, it will kick off what is known as “vacuum decay.” In Hawking’s book, once the Higgs Field becomes metastable, the vacuum decay bubble will emerge. Being at a high energy state, it will quickly move to consume everything at a low energy state, or everything else around it. The vacuum bubble moves along destroying atoms, turning everything it encounters into hydrogen.

Prof. Lykken believes it will take billions of years.

... unless it started a billion years ago, in which case it could happen at any mo
Let it burn.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Well don't play with it.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
"Physicists Accidentally Discover a Self-Destruct Button for the Entire Universe"

Sooner or later someone's gonna come along and press it, just to see what happens next.

Poll:
If YOU discovered it, would you press it?
I probably would, just for the heck of it... ;)

Wingnut

...and I feel fine.

@dfwgator
and Lenny Bruce is not afraid.

Online DB

So God put a reboot button in the fabric of the universe?

The odds of something actually existing besides God that could destroy the universe is a stretch... Something somewhere would trip it from time to time and the universe would have to be far younger if that were happening...

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Wasn't this in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Wingnut

Either that or a Warner Bros cartoon.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
So God put a reboot button in the fabric of the universe?

The odds of something actually existing besides God that could destroy the universe is a stretch... Something somewhere would trip it from time to time and the universe would have to be far younger if that were happening...

White, Christian Americans who believe in Capitalism are obviously the trigger to the destruction of the universe.  We must immediately end the combustion engine, private property, air conditioning and meat eaters in order to save the universe!  We only have 5 years before the self-destruct sequence cannot be reversed!
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

LOL, exactly what I thought.. I finally watched it last night.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat

I think it was also in an episode of Futureama. And Red Dwarf has a second Big Bang

All we are is dust in the wind?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 11:28:25 pm by Freya »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️