Author Topic: Hurricane Harvey Public Advisory  (Read 103192 times)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: Hurricane Harvey Public Advisory
« Reply #1100 on: September 01, 2017, 02:10:14 pm »
Current predictions for the Brazos River at West Columbia, is to continue rising until Wednesday.  This is downstream of us.

@thackney, please excuse this question if it's too intrusive, but do they give any estimates as to when you might be able to go back?

Offline thackney

« Reply #1101 on: September 01, 2017, 02:13:34 pm »
@thackney, please excuse this question if it's too intrusive, but do they give any estimates as to when you might be able to go back?

The best prediction is the Brazos River prediction at Rosharon, FM1462.  I suspect we need to get close to 51 ft before I can get to the house.

http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=hgx&gage=rost2&prob_type=stage&source=hydrograph
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #1102 on: September 01, 2017, 02:18:39 pm »
Good thing is that I doubt you'll have looters going in by boat!

The best prediction is the Brazos River prediction at Rosharon, FM1462.  I suspect we need to get close to 51 ft before I can get to the house.

http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=hgx&gage=rost2&prob_type=stage&source=hydrograph
Wow...that's such slow recession. 

You need to get this guy out to your neighborhood...

http://i.imgur.com/p6zqBy8.mp4
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #1103 on: September 01, 2017, 02:21:26 pm »

Wow. 

Offline Polly Ticks

Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #1105 on: September 01, 2017, 03:43:15 pm »
Hey.
If everybody bought a couple cases...

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #1106 on: September 01, 2017, 04:48:39 pm »
Houston mayor encouraging those living in flooded homes on second or third floor to leave because flood waters are not receding for 10-15 days. Not a mandatory evacuation at this time.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #1107 on: September 01, 2017, 04:59:50 pm »
Heading back to Corpus tomorrow.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #1108 on: September 01, 2017, 06:18:32 pm »

Do you know what damages you have? What shape the city is in??

I've felt badly for those on down the coast because the coverage of Houston and then the Golden Triangle area has kind of sucked up all the media oxygen. At least, I think so. It's hard to know how things are being covered across the country being here in the Houston market. But it does seem like y'all didn't get the attention you should have because of the dynamic nature of the events up here.

Give us an update when you can.

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #1109 on: September 01, 2017, 06:33:18 pm »
Do you know what damages you have? What shape the city is in??

I've felt badly for those on down the coast because the coverage of Houston and then the Golden Triangle area has kind of sucked up all the media oxygen. At least, I think so. It's hard to know how things are being covered across the country being here in the Houston market. But it does seem like y'all didn't get the attention you should have because of the dynamic nature of the events up here.

Give us an update when you can.

Yes, ditto that.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #1110 on: September 01, 2017, 07:07:03 pm »
Arkedelphia, Arkansas, Fire Department using a boat engine to put out a house fire in Houston:
http://i.imgur.com/GM5eFa7.mp4
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 07:08:24 pm by Suppressed »
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #1111 on: September 01, 2017, 07:12:42 pm »
To my fellow Texans:

Isn't it a comfort to have a capable leader as a Governor at a time like this?

Pray for our leaders. They have so much on their shoulders right now.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #1112 on: September 01, 2017, 09:25:34 pm »
The Marines sent in the big guns now.  Can you imagine something weighing 30 tons that is buoyant that is not a ship?
All About the Giant Amphibious Vehicles the Marines Sent to Texas

http://www.popularmechanics.com/military/weapons/news/a28026/marines-giant-amphibious-vehicles-houston-texas-hurricane/?src=nl&mag=pop&list=nl_pnl_news&date=090117
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 09:29:00 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #1113 on: September 01, 2017, 09:56:24 pm »
Brazos crest this morning in Richmond.
Drove from Sugar Land to Katy the last 2 days.
Drove down 99.
It backed up from 10 to Westheimer, both ways.
This and 610 west loop are the only open north south highways open on the west side of Houston right now.
Beltway 8 and Hwy 6 are closed.
Beltway from I-10 south to Briar Forest.
Hwy 6 from Clay road south to Briar Forest.
The mayor has asked for voluntary evacuations in an area east of Hwy 6, south of I-10, west of Gessner, and north of Briar Forest.
Buffalo Bayou has gone down, but likely will stay above flood stage for the next 10 to 15 days, while they release waters from Addicks and Barker reservoirs.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 03:52:51 pm by GrouchoTex »

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #1114 on: September 01, 2017, 10:55:19 pm »
@Hoodat

Everytime I read your tagline, this comes to my mind...

More Than Conquerors/
Count it all Joy
by Janny Grein

(lyrics included)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bG6m0_A5k8

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #1115 on: September 02, 2017, 12:14:16 am »
Prayers up for y'all.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #1116 on: September 02, 2017, 03:17:39 am »
Yes, ditto that.
@Sanguine

Gov. Abbott said today gasoline trucks are coming from New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Louisiana to north Texas so we have gasoline.  He said if you see these trucks, pull over so they get to north Texas faster.

I have a dear friend in Corpus Christi.  Spoke to him earlier this week and he said it wasn't that bad there when it came in.  The house wasn't flooded and they have power.  He said they were much better off than the rest of southeast Texas.  It was Rockport that was devastated.  Now, it is most of southeast Texas that is terrible for people to try to live.

Water and food is getting scarce in some places.  This is not over.  Trucks bring food to every grocery store in your area.  If they can't get there, no food arrives.  If the grocery store is flooded out, it can't open to sell the food.  If people can't get their money out of a bank/flooded ATMs, they have no money to buy the food which isn't there in a store that is closed due to flooding.  Our lives are connected to this which is connected to that which is connected to that which is connected to that.

I hope this terrible happening never happens again to any part of this country.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #1117 on: September 02, 2017, 03:24:35 am »
@Sanguine

Gov. Abbott said today gasoline trucks are coming from New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Louisiana to north Texas so we have gasoline.  He said if you see these trucks, pull over so they get to north Texas faster.

I have a dear friend in Corpus Christi.  Spoke to him earlier this week and he said it wasn't that bad there when it came in.  The house wasn't flooded and they have power.  He said they were much better off than the rest of southeast Texas.  It was Rockport that was devastated.  Now, it is most of southeast Texas that is terrible for people to try to live.

Water and food is getting scarce in some places.  This is not over.  Trucks bring food to every grocery store in your area.  If they can't get there, no food arrives.  If the grocery store is flooded out, it can't open to sell the food.  If people can't get their money out of a bank/flooded ATMs, they have no money to buy the food which isn't there in a store that is closed due to flooding.  Our lives are connected to this which is connected to that which is connected to that which is connected to that.

I hope this terrible happening never happens again to any part of this country.

It's going to be quite difficult for a long time.  But, we will get through.  And, it will be a very valuable, hard-won lesson in reality and what's really important for many people. 

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #1118 on: September 02, 2017, 03:28:06 am »

« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 03:28:45 am by Elderberry »

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #1119 on: September 02, 2017, 03:50:04 am »
@Elderberry

Don't know why you would be afraid of the truth.  Storing extra food/water for an emergency is much better than being fearful.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #1120 on: September 02, 2017, 04:55:51 am »
@Elderberry

Don't know why you would be afraid of the truth.  Storing extra food/water for an emergency is much better than being fearful.
Normalcy bias, defined. "That can't possibly happen here!"

The only problem with stores of food and water is that they can get contaminated, too. The problem with not having them is that you do without. We keep both on hand, and we're about as far from salt water as you can get in North America. (140 miles from the geographic center of North America)
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline thackney

« Reply #1121 on: September 02, 2017, 01:02:01 pm »
Satellite Imagery of Harvey Flooding after the storm.
https://storms.ngs.noaa.gov/storms/harvey/index.html
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #1122 on: September 02, 2017, 02:18:56 pm »

That is a flood alright.

I'm downloading some of the imagery taken during the storm. I curious to what I'll see.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #1123 on: September 02, 2017, 02:53:34 pm »
Doesn't appear to be all after the storm, as my old neighborhood in Braeswood which flooded seems to be dry in picture.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #1124 on: September 02, 2017, 03:24:04 pm »
Doesn't appear to be all after the storm, as my old neighborhood in Braeswood which flooded seems to be dry in picture.

It looks like the large square satellite image in the mosaic was from pre-flooding.