Author Topic: Senate GOP blocking Trump from all recess appointments  (Read 1968 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Senate GOP blocking Trump from all recess appointments
« on: July 27, 2017, 03:13:29 pm »
Senate GOP blocking Trump from all recess appointments
by David M. Drucker | Jul 27, 2017, 11:05 AM

Senate Republicans are committed to blocking President Trump from bypassing the confirmation process and replacing Attorney General Jeff Sessions with a recess appointment.

Indeed, as one Senate Republican explained to the Washington Examiner on Thursday, Senate Republicans made a collective decision in January to prevent Trump from making any recess appointment to his administration. That means the president is foreclosed from sidestepping Senate confirmation and replacing Sessions unilaterally during Congress' upcoming August recess.

"Recess appointments have never been an option for Trump," said the Republican senator.

more
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/senate-gop-blocking-trump-from-all-recess-appointments/article/2629853
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Night Hides Not

Re: Senate GOP blocking Trump from all recess appointments
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 03:23:01 pm »
In a convoluted way, I am pleased to see the Legislative Branch exert its powers as a coequal branch of the Federal Government.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 03:36:57 pm »
In a convoluted way, I am pleased to see the Legislative Branch exert its powers as a coequal branch of the Federal Government.

Would have been nice if they had done the same when Obama was in the White House.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 03:39:37 pm »
Lindsay Graham is also leading a coalition of Senators to pass a bill preventing the POTUS from firing Mueller.

Still think this isn't a blood battle between the entrenched deep state and freedom from it?

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 03:42:16 pm »
Would have been nice if they had done the same when Obama was in the White House.

I'll give Mitch credit for not allowing confirmation hearings on Merritt.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2017, 03:44:39 pm »

Looks like there is no-end to GOP obstruction, used by them against the one and only person actually pursuing the policies THEY HAVE PROMISED FOR YEARS.

Lindsey might as well go to his favorite Sanctuary City, and meet Jeb.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2017, 03:45:39 pm »
 :eatdrink:

Oceander

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2017, 05:44:14 pm »

Indeed. 

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2017, 06:21:23 pm »
they have never been 'coequal'.

They have specific, independent powers as enumerated in Constitution. 

Curious, how do you gauge they are 'coequal' anyway?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2017, 06:25:18 pm »
Lindsay Graham is also leading a coalition of Senators to pass a bill preventing the POTUS from firing Mueller.

Still think this isn't a blood battle between the entrenched deep state and freedom from it?

It's turning into a fight between the Executive and Legislative branches, one that's been long overdue.

I'm in Dodge City today, our last stop before returning home. Think I'll stock up on some good Kansas popcorn. lol

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2017, 06:27:10 pm »

They need to be, otherwise there are no checks and balances on all three branches.

Oceander

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2017, 06:46:42 pm »

They are coequal in the sense that each has an independent grant of authority under the Constitution and is not subordinate to the other in that area. 

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2017, 06:15:19 pm »
They need to be, otherwise there are no checks and balances on all three branches.
you are confusing being equal to being independent.

They cannot be coequal as they have separate responsibilities and authorities.

The Judicial by far is the weakest branch, as it must rely under upon the other branches for executing its decisions.

Congress by design is the strongest, as it has the power to collect taxes and can remove members of the other branches.

It is closely followed by the Executive, which controls a massive bureaucracy and the military.

@Night Hides Not
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2017, 06:21:39 pm »
They are coequal in the sense that each has an independent grant of authority under the Constitution and is not subordinate to the other in that area.
being coequal is not the same as being independent.

That's like saying the US is coequal to Iceland.

The Founders clearly enumerated separate powers to the three branches but the powers given Congress are greater than the powers given the other two branches.

@Oceander
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 06:22:00 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2017, 06:27:49 pm »
If you had read the article you would have been reminded that the GOP did use the same tactic against Obama.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2017, 06:32:16 pm »
This is consistent with what the GOP did with Obama too. They blocked, or attempted to block, recess appointments until they can be confirmed by the Senate. I don't know why anyone would have a problem with this--- unless you thought it was wrong they did it to Obama too.

https://www.google.com/search?q=gop+blocking+obama+recess+appointments+-trump&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Offline ABX

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2017, 06:33:17 pm »

They did (or at least tried to).. and our side cheered them for doing it.

https://www.google.com/search?q=gop+blocking+obama+recess+appointments+-trump&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2017, 06:41:41 pm »

"All pigs are equal but some are more equal than others."

The judicial branch has been allowed to assume powers never intended for them.  They were only designated to decide on the constitutionality of laws passed by the other two branches.  Not decide law for themselves.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 06:41:59 pm by Emjay »
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline jpsb

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2017, 06:46:44 pm »

The Judicial by far is the weakest branch, as it must rely under upon the other branches for executing its decisions.

Congress by design is the strongest, as it has the power to collect taxes and can remove members of the other branches.

It is closely followed by the Executive, which controls a massive bureaucracy and the military.

@Night Hides Not

BUMP! Exactly right, nicely stated.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2017, 06:48:29 pm »
I'm in Dodge City today, our last stop before returning home. Think I'll stock up on some good Kansas popcorn. lol

Just north of you, exploring Castle Rock, before heading back home to KC.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline ABX

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2017, 06:59:06 pm »

@Night Hides Not

You are right. I've even been guilty of using 'co-equal' too often, usually in response to claims that the Executive Branch is the 'boss' of the other two and they have to do what he says. If anyone is really the boss, as you pointed out, it should be Congress as they are the closest representation to the people (who are the real boss). The Executive should technically be limited to the military and treaties, but the abuse of 'foregoing powers' has made it the bureaucratic monstrosity it is.

Offline The_Reader_David

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2017, 08:56:47 pm »

Well, they did prevent him from replacing Scalia with a leftist.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline SunkenCiv

• This is SunkenCiv.
  • I'm Junger than that now.
    • Gods, Graves, Glyphs (we're new)
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2017, 09:30:05 pm »
The current so-called Republicans in the Senate haven't worked this hard, ever -- you'd think their pensions, parking spaces, franking privileges, and gold plated offices were at stake.

"Attorney General Jeff Sessions has taken a VERY weak position on Hillary Clinton crimes (where are E-mails & DNC server) & Intel leakers!" POTUS tweeted at 6:12 a.m. on the 25th.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Gods, Graves, Glyphs forum (we're new) Darwin Central (posting as Ned Ludlam) my FR posts, SunkenCiv?, FR topic by nuconvert

Offline libertybele

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2017, 09:35:58 pm »
If I am understanding this situation correctly, the 'establishment' GOP, aka RINO's are going against the leader of their own party.  That doesn't set well with me.  This is not what the people voted for.  IMHO Sessions is one of the 'leakers' and needs to go.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2017, 09:51:11 pm »
If I am understanding this situation correctly, the 'establishment' GOP, aka RINO's are going against the leader of their own party.  That doesn't set well with me.  This is not what the people voted for.  IMHO Sessions is one of the 'leakers' and needs to go.

Aside from Gorsuch, Sessions has been one of the only areas of competence the administration could point towards.
http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/immigration/article156656224.html
Federal prosecutors inaugurate ‘express’ deportations

Get him out!  Who are the Pepe fans going to turn to anyways?