Author Topic: How Ford F150s have lowered U.S. gasoline use  (Read 2496 times)

Offline roamer_1

Re: How Ford F150s have lowered U.S. gasoline use
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2017, 06:09:13 pm »
Going up and down steep hills could barely feel I was hauling anything..truck wasn't even struggling. On the highway I had to remind myself I was pulling something I think the truck has  14k towing capacity.

I have found a Chevy 3/4T heavy can pull anything a 1T can... it's the stopping that gets interesting.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2017, 07:02:59 pm »
We don't have a F150, but we do have a 2004 Explorer which is built on the same chassis, and has the same power train.  We are on its 3rd Radiator. Cheep plastic radiators cut down on the weight I suppose. Our trusted mechanic says to expect replacing it about every 3 years, from his experience.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline thackney

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2017, 07:23:35 pm »
We don't have a F150, but we do have a 2004 Explorer which is built on the same chassis, and has the same power train.  We are on its 3rd Radiator. Cheep plastic radiators cut down on the weight I suppose. Our trusted mechanic says to expect replacing it about every 3 years, from his experience.

Explorers were built on the Ranger Frame, Expedition on the F150, the Excursions were built on the F250.

BTW, we also have a 2004 Explorer.  We have never replaced the radiator.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 07:24:32 pm by thackney »
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2017, 08:52:05 pm »
For years now they've been telling us Americans are driving less and less.

Somebody is cooking the books.

Could be a language thing.  If the average American drives 1% less miles, but the American population rises by 2%, "Americans are driving less and less" and "Americans are driving more and more" are both true statements.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2017, 09:23:02 pm »
Could be a language thing.  If the average American drives 1% less miles, but the American population rises by 2%, "Americans are driving less and less" and "Americans are driving more and more" are both true statements.

Good point.

We get a lot of oil news around here and lower demand has been cited as one of the reasons for lower oil prices.  The articles I've read in the past attribute this to a) more efficient engines/cars   and b) people are driving less total miles.

On the other hand, there was a report last year noting that the total value of car purchases exceeded that of home purchases, which is a whole other can of worms, but ties in here somewhere. 

Offline thackney

« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2017, 09:29:51 pm »
Good point.

We get a lot of oil news around here and lower demand has been cited as one of the reasons for lower oil prices.  The articles I've read in the past attribute this to a) more efficient engines/cars   and b) people are driving less total miles.

On the other hand, there was a report last year noting that the total value of car purchases exceeded that of home purchases, which is a whole other can of worms, but ties in here somewhere.

Oil price is a global supply/demand factor.  Global demand has not gone down for years.  Demand grew slower than supply pushing the price down.  Normal seasonal swings but it has continued to grow.

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2017, 09:40:36 pm »
I'm still way ahead of a new one, and it has been places most folks would not want to go.

The other things that come to mind are

- you really don't care that much for another ding in it, so that takes a load off your anxiety levels.

- others see the same thing and clear a path for you when on the road.

The cowcatcher in front of my old Bronco and my 10 year old F150 are effective advertising.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2017, 09:43:40 pm »
My wife has a 2014 GMC  extended cab 2500 w/t  4x4 6.2 ltr with towing packge
Rubber floormats, crank window handles etc.

I just hauled a tractor on it to a show with a older borrowed construction hauler trailer that weighs probably 3000 lbs or more itself.. Tractor is 4400 lbs.

Going up and down steep hills could barely feel I was hauling anything..truck wasn't even struggling. On the highway I had to remind myself I was pulling something I think the truck has  14k towing capacity.

Yours must be a torque monster at 18k lbs

@Bigun
I was just recently very serious about getting a 6.2l in a used 2017 GMC 1500.  Didn't pull it off as it was maroon outside and inside and I couldn't bear driving Aggie colors.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2017, 10:24:12 pm »
You can run it on Sunoco 93 and octane boost.
We don't have a Sunoco in a couple hundred miles. Blend 91 no ethanol with 105 low lead avgas (no alcohol in aircraft fuel). Sigh...I miss real gasoline.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2017, 10:28:08 pm »
The other things that come to mind are

- you really don't care that much for another ding in it, so that takes a load off your anxiety levels.

- others see the same thing and clear a path for you when on the road.

The cowcatcher in front of my old Bronco and my 10 year old F150 are effective advertising.
Well, with that low a buy in, I just carry really good liability on it instead of comprehensive and collision. No loan, no full coverage mandated by a bank, and saved even more that way.

I drove a '75 G-10 cargo van out to the East Coast, with an off color door, a little ding in the right front, and a fresh engine/tranny/rear end (under 5K on all of them then). I hit 495 and was laughing at the vehicles trying to stay a lane and a few car lengths away from me.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 10:30:32 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2017, 08:22:50 am »

Any radiator shop can build one to spec. And at that rate, I'd pay for a brass or aluminum one...