Author Topic: How Ford F150s have lowered U.S. gasoline use  (Read 2497 times)

Offline thackney

How Ford F150s have lowered U.S. gasoline use
« on: July 12, 2017, 06:33:28 pm »
http://www.chron.com/business/energy/article/How-Ford-F150s-have-turned-around-U-S-gasoline-11282061.php

U.S. consumers are buying more big trucks, and driving more and more miles. Yet gasoline demand has fallen over the past five years, according to a recent white paper by a researcher at Rice University.

The reason: Manufacturers keep improving the fuel efficiency of American trucks, even if by just a few miles per gallon. And those small improvements have had an outsized effect on total U.S. fuel consumption, said Gabriel Collins, an energy fellow at Rice’s Baker Institute for Public Policy — much larger than larger improvements in the fuel efficiency of the hybrid gas-electric Toyota Prius, for example.

“It’s a paradoxical outcome,” Collins said on Tuesday.

American driving rose 8 percent over the past five years, according to Collins’ paper. Meanwhile, gasoline demand inched up by half that, less than 4 percent, the brief found.

Collins credits the much-maligned mpg of the Ford F150 (plus similar Chevrolet and Dodge models) for such statistics. Five years ago, a typical F150 might get about 16 or 17 mpg. The Prius averaged more like 46. So the F150 used about 6 gallons of gas to go 100 miles. The Prius? About 2.

Ford and Toyota both improved their vehicles. Ford F150s now get about 20 or 21 mpg; Priuses, better than 52. That means F150s have shaved gas usage by an entire gallon over 100 miles, or about 17 percent, while the Prius still averages about 2 gallons used per 100 miles.

Add that to this simple fact: Americans buy four times the number of Ford F-series trucks each year — about 800,000 — as they do Priuses, which sold fewer than 140,000 in the U.S. in 2016....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: How Ford F150s have lowered U.S. gasoline use
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 02:39:53 am »
Here's a fact.  When flying into Seattle airport recently to visit my daughter, I noted a lot of Prius's there.  Seattle passed an ordinance that said that all Uber drivers were required to have a car that got more than 40mpg in order to use the airport.

My son-in-law had to get one to pick him up once and the idiotic vehicle could not even get up his drive to drop him off, so he had to lug his suitcases up to his house.

There is idiocy still alive in this country, and getting worse by the day.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 03:25:53 am »
And here I thought it was all those folks not having jobs to drive to, and not taking vacations. Silly me.

Of course, the effect of using less gasoline is that the same number of gallons of ethanol have to be blended in, and that will push the blend wall.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 03:26:44 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online corbe

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 04:03:14 am »
   If my Brother-in-law wasn't the TOP Mechanic at the Dodge Dealership less than a block from my house, I'd definitely buy a FORD, and he knows it.
   Screw Government Motors, sorry @Frank Cannon
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2017, 04:11:31 am »

Sure they do. Trucks are very fuel efficient when they are broke down on the side of the road.

BTW, anyone see what the aluminum bed on an off lease F-150 looks like on trade in? Looks like Dresden after WWII.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 04:11:50 am by Frank Cannon »

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2017, 04:38:29 am »
   If my Brother-in-law wasn't the TOP Mechanic at the Dodge Dealership less than a block from my house, I'd definitely buy a FORD, and he knows it.
   Screw Government Motors, sorry @Frank Cannon
Except for the oldest ones they're all GM except one dodge pickup. But they are pre-bailout GM.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2017, 07:03:25 am »
And here I thought it was all those folks not having jobs to drive to, and not taking vacations. Silly me.

Of course, the effect of using less gasoline is that the same number of gallons of ethanol have to be blended in, and that will push the blend wall.

I'll tell you what, back in the early 80's we built a road traveling late 70's 3/4T 4x4... It was custom, with I think 3:73's and a drop gear OD, stick and hubs, and a decently peppy 4bbl (carter)  383 stroker... and probably 12.50x33's for tires... Nice little truck.

I can't say it was getting 22mpg, but it was close with both tanks full, and otherwise empty, in 2wd with the hubs locked out.

Makes you wonder what you're paying for with all the groovy tech they're putting in them

« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 07:06:18 am by roamer_1 »

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2017, 07:56:19 am »
I'll tell you what, back in the early 80's we built a road traveling late 70's 3/4T 4x4... It was custom, with I think 3:73's and a drop gear OD, stick and hubs, and a decently peppy 4bbl (carter)  383 stroker... and probably 12.50x33's for tires... Nice little truck.

I can't say it was getting 22mpg, but it was close with both tanks full, and otherwise empty, in 2wd with the hubs locked out.

Makes you wonder what you're paying for with all the groovy tech they're putting in them
I was doing about 14 MPG in a '75 FJ-40 with a 327 in it, meats all around, warn hubs, and 4.11 gears. No speed demon, 55 was about it, and a rough ride at that. (But I could peel out in 4 high on dry pavement.)

I even planted it in the river bottoms, just once.

But with lockouts we weren't pushing all the convenience gear that goes into shift on the fly automatics, or the 'automatic' 4WD that the GMs of the late 90s have. I'd bet a lot of them are pushing the front differential and drive line going down the road in 2WD if the actuators are faulty, and that is not only a lot of wear in the system, but a fuel eater as well.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2017, 08:24:31 am »
I was doing about 14 MPG in a '75 FJ-40 with a 327 in it, meats all around, warn hubs, and 4.11 gears. No speed demon, 55 was about it, and a rough ride at that. (But I could peel out in 4 high on dry pavement.)

Them Landcruisers are a dang good rig. Axles as big around as your wrist. Put a Chevy small block in it, and yeah. that'll step right out. And the stock 22R is pretty near bulletproof too, btw.

I even planted it in the river bottoms, just once.

As a side note you'll only get stuck in water up to and just above the highest electronic oject in the truck... First time, the CB was under the dash, so the water went just under the top of the dash - the am radio and gauge cluster being the highest electronics...

Second time, I had a radar detector on the dash, and a cop-style spotlight in the a column ... You guessed it. Water went right to the top of the spotlight.

In the last iteration, I thought to beat it. So I hung the CB and the radar off the roof (I really liked them there)... Shortly thereafter I was inducted and promoted in the General Motors Navy as captain of a submarine.  :shrug:

But with lockouts we weren't pushing all the convenience gear that goes into shift on the fly automatics, or the 'automatic' 4WD that the GMs of the late 90s have. I'd bet a lot of them are pushing the front differential and drive line going down the road in 2WD if the actuators are faulty, and that is not only a lot of wear in the system, but a fuel eater as well.

That's right... the first automatic hubs had to turn 3 full turns of the wheel to engage... Can't even tell you how many of those poor guys I tugged out. Nobody thinks to reach for the stick until they're already stuck... Then the vacuum ones, that'd jill-poke the line and there you are. Try digging around in 3 ft of mud or snow to put that line back on there... And the electric ones are just about as bad.

Thanks... I will stick to Spicers. It ain't no thing to get out and twist em in. And when they're out, with a NP205 in 2wd, nothing up front is turning. ==Mileage.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2017, 08:52:31 am »
Them Landcruisers are a dang good rig. Axles as big around as your wrist. Put a Chevy small block in it, and yeah. that'll step right out. And the stock 22R is pretty near bulletproof too, btw.

As a side note you'll only get stuck in water up to and just above the highest electronic oject in the truck... First time, the CB was under the dash, so the water went just under the top of the dash - the am radio and gauge cluster being the highest electronics...

Second time, I had a radar detector on the dash, and a cop-style spotlight in the a column ... You guessed it. Water went right to the top of the spotlight.

In the last iteration, I thought to beat it. So I hung the CB and the radar off the roof (I really liked them there)... Shortly thereafter I was inducted and promoted in the General Motors Navy as captain of a submarine.  :shrug:

That's right... the first automatic hubs had to turn 3 full turns of the wheel to engage... Can't even tell you how many of those poor guys I tugged out. Nobody thinks to reach for the stick until they're already stuck... Then the vacuum ones, that'd jill-poke the line and there you are. Try digging around in 3 ft of mud or snow to put that line back on there... And the electric ones are just about as bad.

Thanks... I will stick to Spicers. It ain't no thing to get out and twist em in. And when they're out, with a NP205 in 2wd, nothing up front is turning. ==Mileage.
I planted it in good spring mud. Right to the running boards. A friend with a really nicely set up pickup with a 10000 lb winch tied on and another friend who had brought his wrecker down to watch the show ended up tying on to him to keep him from dragging himself into the mud. I had it in 4 low, reverse, throttle set to turn the wheels slow (It has a PTO, too, but I really didn't want to go the way my winch was pointed), half the brush in the river bottom under the wheels and was outside with a tree branch rocking it to break the suction when it finally popped loose.

It left a real neat impression of the underside in the mud.

I have this thing about going into standing water--I have always been careful about that.

When we were kids (12 or so) we had a '53 Plymouth over at my best friend's farm his dad would let us drive around the farm. Only problem was there were no floorboards in front, except for over the hump. (Tidewater of MD, metal just doesn't last like it does here, too much salt water around.)
That never bothered us any, and we called it our "Flintstones Car" (we weren't dumb enough to put our feet down). But if a guy spat at just the right speed the wind howling up through the floor would carry it back into the face of whoever had the misfortune to get the middle seat.

Anyway, my friend was behind the wheel and we had a little low spot at the head of the marsh with some water standing there and for some reason that still evades me he thought we should just drive through that big puddle of water. We hit marsh instead, and ended up climbing out the windows.  The goo coming up all around (and through the floorboards--at least what we were not already wearing) kept us from opening the doors. Mud from a salt marsh has a fragrance all its own. By the time we got back with his dad's bulldozer it was almost in to the door handles, and even after we pulled it out and ran it up and down the boat ramp a few times to wash it out, it never quite smelled the same on a humid day...

Years later, in Grand Forks during a big flood, I was driving along a back street at night when I noticed the water was getting high. Actually, the street had a bit of a dip in it, and the water wasn't moving, but when I looked out the window of that '70 Dodge Coronet, the water was pretty close to the glass. I drove real slow, came up behind an barricade (no one had thought to put one at the other end), and caught hell from one of the police for driving along there. I pointed out there was no barricade at the other end and popped my door open (dumped water all over the poor guy's feet) and asked him very nicely if he would move the barricade so I could go home, because I damnsure didn't want to go back the way I had come.

After that, I haven't been much for driving through mudholes. Heck, I don't even trust snowdrifts much, unless I know there isn't something real solid in there.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 08:54:07 am by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2017, 09:09:31 am »
After that, I haven't been much for driving through mudholes. Heck, I don't even trust snowdrifts much, unless I know there isn't something real solid in there.

LOL! the marsh story was great!

I LOVE mud.I've had a jacked up truck my whole life... at least 4" of lift, and at least 12.50x33's... Mostly 36's... on up to 13" of lift, with stacked frames, and 44's (that last one of those was a howlin ground-pounder) I have been stuck more time than I can count, and I have been sunk at least half that much. Mud is kinda my thing. If it was the weekend, I'd be down at the river or out in a plowed field with a truck. One of my best friends at the time was always with, and his old man had a big logging company, so we could always get a boom truck anytime, and if it got bad, we'd go sneak a skidder down out of the woods.

Evergreen floods every now and then, and when it did, the sheriff would call me and my buddies (they already had our numbers on file, and knew where we lived, from previous engagements of another sort...) and we'd be more than happy to help folks out, getting their stuff and livestock out... Wasn't much of anyone else who could. It was seriously funny seeing those mudding trucks with a 4 horse on the back, and all you could see of the trailer was the roof and a 3 " gap down below... with the water only half way up the door on the pickup...

If I get my feet back under me, I'll be sky-jackin this truck too... The smell of mud burning on a clutch is something you never quite forget.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 09:10:26 am by roamer_1 »

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2017, 09:39:13 am »
LOL! the marsh story was great!

I LOVE mud.I've had a jacked up truck my whole life... at least 4" of lift, and at least 12.50x33's... Mostly 36's... on up to 13" of lift, with stacked frames, and 44's (that last one of those was a howlin ground-pounder) I have been stuck more time than I can count, and I have been sunk at least half that much. Mud is kinda my thing. If it was the weekend, I'd be down at the river or out in a plowed field with a truck. One of my best friends at the time was always with, and his old man had a big logging company, so we could always get a boom truck anytime, and if it got bad, we'd go sneak a skidder down out of the woods.

Evergreen floods every now and then, and when it did, the sheriff would call me and my buddies (they already had our numbers on file, and knew where we lived, from previous engagements of another sort...) and we'd be more than happy to help folks out, getting their stuff and livestock out... Wasn't much of anyone else who could. It was seriously funny seeing those mudding trucks with a 4 horse on the back, and all you could see of the trailer was the roof and a 3 " gap down below... with the water only half way up the door on the pickup...

If I get my feet back under me, I'll be sky-jackin this truck too... The smell of mud burning on a clutch is something you never quite forget.
I reckon I haven't really had the setup for it, although the Landcruiser (still have it) has potential. That'd be a Lazarus deal, though, it hasn't run in over twenty years, just been under a tarp...

C S Lewis

Offline thackney

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2017, 11:51:54 am »

American driving rose 8 percent over the past five years

That is an increase in the total miles driven.  It isn't a decrease in the driving.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2017, 12:44:22 pm »
I'm sitting here shaking my head. Are you lot nuts? Improved to 22 mpg! - if I had a motor as only got that, I'd tannerite it. My 12 year old Passat still gets 38 mpg cruising on the motorway at 75. Drops to about 28 in city traffic though.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline The_Reader_David

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2017, 12:46:03 pm »
The Prius is an awful vehicle, but not because it's a hybrid. 

Due to the amount of driving my wife does, we decided to get a hybrid, and test drove a few before buying a Honda Civic Hybrid.  The Honda is a great vehicle, fun to drive, great acceleration on highway entrances (despite having an automatic CVT), good interior design. 

The Prius by contrast had terrible pickup, the CVT was noisy and constantly gave the impression of the clutch slipping, and the interior design was sub-standard for any Japanese maker (I've had Hondas, Toyotas and Nissans, and have driven other models as rentals, the new Prius interior was worse than any I've experienced since my 1983 Sentra, the first car I ever bought, and one of the last made in the days when Japanese cars were tin-cans build over incredibly reliable powertrains).
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline thackney

« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2017, 12:52:29 pm »
I'm sitting here shaking my head. Are you lot nuts? Improved to 22 mpg! - if I had a motor as only got that, I'd tannerite it. My 12 year old Passat still gets 38 mpg cruising on the motorway at 75. Drops to about 28 in city traffic though.

Towing Capability = 12,200 pounds
Payload Capacity = 3,270 pounds
Cargo Box Volume = 77.4 cu. ft.

https://www.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/17RV&TT_Ford_F150_Sep7.pdf

How many Passat working in tandem would be required to equal one F150?  And the total mpg for doing the same amount of work?

I drive a 2012 F250, crew cab, long bed.  I'm very happy with what I pay for what I get in return.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2017, 12:56:55 pm »
How many of those 800,000 F150's sold last year are doing more than driving to the supermarket? Your's is, but the majority aren't.

My car - towing 2.2 tons.
Carrying - 0.7 tons
Capacity - 58 cubic feet.

(all rough conversions from the metric)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 01:00:37 pm by EC »
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2017, 01:26:20 pm »
My 2007 3500 Dodge Crew cab with 5.9ltr Diesel

Payload = 4350
Max Tow 18,000
Gets a little over 23MPG  on the highway and rides like a dream.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2017, 01:43:11 pm »

Payload = 4350
Max Tow 18,000

My 1976 Olds Custom Cruiser with a 455 with 11:1 compression.

Payload = 9 passengers and 4 golf bags
Max Tow = 12,000
Gas mileage = Who gives a shit. I can afford gas.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2017, 01:43:46 pm »
How many of those 800,000 F150's sold last year are doing more than driving to the supermarket? Your's is, but the majority aren't.

Don't be so quick to say that... The American economy is carried by that pickup. If we lost pickup trucks we'd grind to a halt - At least everything west of the Mississippi would.

And they carry a whole heckuva lot more than a ton and a half btw... And that's American tons, not metric

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2017, 03:16:19 pm »
American driving rose 8 percent over the past five years, according to Collins’ paper.

For years now they've been telling us Americans are driving less and less.

Somebody is cooking the books.

Offline thackney

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2017, 03:38:25 pm »
For years now they've been telling us Americans are driving less and less.

Somebody is cooking the books.

I'm not sure where you read that.  2015 was a record year as well, until 2016.

Americans drive 3.1 trillion miles in 2015, a new record
http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-hy-driving-record-miles-20160223-story.html

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2017, 05:25:59 pm »
My 1976 Olds Custom Cruiser with a 455 with 11:1 compression.

Payload = 9 passengers and 4 golf bags
Max Tow = 12,000
Gas mileage = Who gives a shit. I can afford gas.
That's the fun part. Here is how I did the math on a work vehicle in 2010: 2000 express van (1 ton, long wheelbase, gas, 5.7l, with cage between cargo area and cockpit): $2700.00, off lease, high mileage. Tires: roughly $1000.
$3700 for the van with new high load skins.
Add in a checkup with a very good mechanic, another $120. Replace catalytic converter $250.00. New battery: $110. License and registration: about $150 initially, $76 per year afterward. (No annual inspections in ND.) 
Total invested $4350.
MSRP for a new one in the year I bought the used one: $29, 980 (Plus tax, tags, title transfer fee, etc.)

That leaves $25,630 for gas and repairs. I'm still way ahead of a new one, and it has been places most folks would not want to go.

With 11:1 compression, you aren't running pump gas... unless you have an airfield.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 05:27:30 pm by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2017, 05:53:53 pm »

With 11:1 compression, you aren't running pump gas... unless you have an airfield.

You can run it on Sunoco 93 and octane boost.

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2017, 05:56:58 pm »

Payload = 4350
Max Tow 18,000

My wife has a 2014 GMC  extended cab 2500 w/t  4x4 6.2 ltr with towing packge
Rubber floormats, crank window handles etc.

I just hauled a tractor on it to a show with a older borrowed construction hauler trailer that weighs probably 3000 lbs or more itself.. Tractor is 4400 lbs.

Going up and down steep hills could barely feel I was hauling anything..truck wasn't even struggling. On the highway I had to remind myself I was pulling something I think the truck has  14k towing capacity.

Yours must be a torque monster at 18k lbs

@Bigun

« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 05:59:30 pm by mirraflake »