Author Topic: COUNTERPRODUCTIVE: Trump Tweets That He's Under Investigation, Attacks His Own Deputy Attorney General  (Read 525 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
By Ben Shapiro
http://www.dailywire.com/news/17617/counterproductive-trump-tweets-hes-under-ben-shapiro

President Trump loves Twitter. He obviously enjoys the attention and the real-time feedback; he obviously enjoys
the catharsis of being able to vent before tens of millions of people.

It’s not exactly good legal or political strategy.

That became clear once again on Friday, when Trump took to Twitter to once again proclaim that special counsel Robert
Mueller’s investigation is a “witch hunt.” That wouldn’t be so bad. What isn’t good is that Trump went on to attack his own
deputy attorney general and confirm what had only been reported based on anonymous sourcing: that he’s under
investigation now . . .

. . .
Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
I am being investigated for firing the FBI Director by the man
who told me to fire the FBI Director! Witch Hunt
6:07 AM - 16 Jun 2017

That  . . . tweet is obviously a rebuke directed at Rosenstein. It says three things. First, it confirms the original [Washington] Post story
saying that Trump is under investigation, undercutting Rosenstein’s statement about trusting anonymously-based stories. Second,
it says that Rosenstein is somehow responsible for the firing FBI director James Comey — an odd contention given that Trump
openly stated on national television that he would have fired Comey no matter Rosenstein’s recommendation. Third, it says that
Trump is now holding Rosenstein responsible for the Mueller investigation. This makes it sound an awful lot like Trump wants
Rosenstein to fire Mueller, and Mueller won’t do it.

Which doesn’t help Trump, since Trump is now attempting to avoid an obstruction investigation. Rosenstein won’t be able to defend
Trump against Mueller in such an investigation because Rosenstein will presumably be a witness in that case and will have to recuse
himself, thanks to his involvement in the Comey firing. And right on cue, ABC News is now reporting that Rosenstein is considering
recusing himself

Ugh.

Trump should stop. He should just be quiet and let this investigation take its course. If Mueller exceeds his mandate and comes up
with empty charges, the entire Right will rally to Trump’s side. But if Trump keeps handing Mueller batons with which to beat him,
he’ll have only himself to blame when he ends up politically bruised.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline DB

Well ya...

Or is it,

Duh...
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 08:38:19 pm by DB »

Offline skeeter

Trump should stop. He should just be quiet and let this investigation take its course. If Mueller exceeds his mandate and comes up
with empty charges, the entire Right will rally to Trump’s side.

I don't think even Shapiro believes this.

Offline EasyAce

I don't think even Shapiro believes this.
I think he wants to believe it. Especially the part about the prospect of empty charges coming
forth.

But of course the real onus is on Donaldus Minimus. His lawyers can tell him until they're the
proverbial blue in the proverbial face to keep his big mouth shut, and it would be sound counsel,
but there's no guarantee on earth that such a client will actually heed such sound counsel.
There do come times when the last manperson on earth you want testifying or talking on
behalf of an actual or prospective defendant is the actual or prospective defendant himself.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline skeeter

I think he wants to believe it. Especially the part about the prospect of empty charges coming
forth.

But of course the real onus is on Donaldus Minimus. His lawyers can tell him until they're the
proverbial blue in the proverbial face to keep his big mouth shut, and it would be sound counsel,
but there's no guarantee on earth that such a client will actually heed such sound counsel.
There do come times when the last manperson on earth you want testifying or talking on
behalf of an actual or prospective defendant is the actual or prospective defendant himself.

All that is true, but to those of us who have been watching these 'special counsels' over past decades know that there is positively no way they'll ever clear the target of wrongdoing, there will always be charges, and when those charges are leveled, bogus or no, the GOP will run like hell for the tall grass.

Offline anubias

All that is true, but to those of us who have been watching these 'special counsels' over past decades know that there is positively no way they'll ever clear the target of wrongdoing, there will always be charges, and when those charges are leveled, bogus or no, the GOP will run like hell for the tall grass.

It's been a setup from the beginning and the vilest amongst us are either giddy with pleasure and/or licking their chops.

Offline Polly Ticks

Once again, with feeling ....

Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
I think the GOP most certainly would defend the President,  if he didn't have such an appetite for his own destruction.   

When Trump first won the Presidency,  I said he was the like the dog who caught the car.   I think at some level he's telling the Washington swamp to phuck off, and proudly be a martyr if that's the result.  Then he can return to his business and his political movement free of the agony of actual governance, and free to exploit all manner of lucrative opportunities.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline EasyAce

Once again, with feeling ....

@Polly Ticks
Someone will have to slip those on while he's dead asleep. ;)