Author Topic: Benedict Arnold  (Read 534 times)

rangerrebew

Benedict Arnold
« on: June 07, 2017, 11:08:06 am »
Benedict Arnold

Benedict Arnold was born on January 14, 1741 in Norwich, Connecticut. Arnold was one of a number of Benedict Arnolds including an early governor of Rhode Island and his father. Arnold's mother was Hannah Waterman King, a wealthy widow, before her marriage to the elder Arnold. The family fortunes were well for a while, however some poor business deals caused some financial problems for the family. Arnold's father turned to the local taverns for solace. Arnold attended school at Canterbury. While there, some of his siblings died from the Yellow Fever.

Without money, Benedict Arnold was withdrawn from school. Arnold was young, full of energy and willing to try and do anything. With the lack of the structure of the school regime, and lax parental control, Arnold was often in trouble. His mother finally found help in the form of family: cousins Daniel and Joshua Lathrop took Arnold in as an apprentice to their large and successful apothecary business. He left his apprenticeship a couple of times to join the army for periods of time during the French and Indian War, but remained in the employ of his cousins for years.

http://www.ushistory.org/valleyforge/served/arnold.html
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 11:08:42 am by rangerrebew »

Offline Suppressed

Re: Benedict Arnold
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 05:59:34 pm »
I recommend Valiant Ambition: George Washington, Benedict Arnold, and the Fate of the American Revolution, by Nathaniel Philbrick (2016)
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn