Author Topic: Trump Doesn’t Deserve A Pass Because He’s “Pissing Off The Libs”  (Read 3519 times)

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
I'm not holding my breath.  He's doing a damned good job of trying to be a failure.

So you say.   I happen to disagree.  But if you had said most in Washington are doing a damned good job of trying to insure his failure I  would have hertily agreed with you!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Remember that Bill Buckley was a household name, ran for office and had a national platform on both print and TV.
He was a household name with a national platform before he ever thought about running for office---remember,
he'd written two books before he created National Review in 1955; he published two more books (Up from
Liberalism
and his first anthology, Rumbles Left and Right) by 1963, which was about the time he was
first offered his syndicated column. And there were those who regarded Buckley much the way many regard
Red State: uncredentialed interloper. Firing Line didn't launch until months after the 1965 New York
mayoral election in which Buckley ran;' he'd been a sought-after guest on television yakfests, and a known
public debater, but until Firing Line he didn't have his own television platform.

And there were plenty in his pre-mayoral years who argued as you did, namely, where did this
barely-credentialed upstart get off spanking pols and politics and government without once daring to throw his
own ass into the arena?

And even his running for mayor of New York came about almost by mistake, as Buckley himself wrote in the
appropriate chapter of The Unmaking of a Mayor:

At a staff meeting of National Review a few days after the column was written, the routine
question was raised, as it is every fortnight just before the final deadline for the magazine's cover
copy, what to emblazon on the top-left diagonal yellow streamer designed to attract the attention
of newsstand buyers. We happened that week to be short of usable titles not already mortgaged
on the colour form, which is locked in several days earlier. After a half hour's paralysis, my
sister Priscilla Buckley [NR managing editor---EA.], who cannot resist a self-deprecatory
whirl, suggested, "Why not, 'Buckley for Mayor'?" Having, after all, vouchsafed a pardigmatic
platform, theoretically useful in any large-size American city, I yielded to the argument that the
metaphor "Buckley for Mayor" would be instantly understood; that no reader in his right mind
would be likely to infer from the streamer that Buckley was actually announcing that he would
run for Mayor and that this was his trial balloon. It was not, as a matter of fact, until a fortnight
after the event that I was informed, to my astonishment, that in fact I was legally qualified to
run for Mayor of New York, notwithstanding that I was a resident and registered Republican
voter in Stamford, Connecticut. But my sister, as it happened, had been quite correct. Not a
soul mistook the yellow streamer for a Freudian revelation; not even I.
Buckley was in fact planning to ask National Review publisher William Rusher if he would
consider running for Mayor on the New York Conservative Party ticket. Only when Rusher said
no did Buckley, in the middle of planning a public speech expanding on the original column's
proposal, visit with Conservative Party chairman and co-founder Dan Mahoney and, spontaneously,
ask if he, Mahoney, would ponder Buckley running. He would, and Buckley did, in perhaps
one of the least premeditated political office campaigns in my lifetime. From that campaign
sprang the exchange that's since sailed into Bartlett's waters: asked his first official act if
elected, Buckley replied without skipping a beat, "Demand a recount."

(Buckley didn't exactly write from butt-hurt about Barry Goldwater; in fact, he wrote a few
thoughtful postmortems on Goldwater's defeat, as did his National Review senior
editor Frank Meyer. You can find Meyer's in his subsequent anthology, The Conservative
Mainstream
. But they were among the few enough on the right who didn't fume, rant,
and rave over Goldwater's defeat, even if the candidate himself didn't go rhetorically postal
likewise.)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 10:11:28 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Certainly there's been a growing number of people here and elsewhere who like Trump more than they did before, but that is not a consensus. 

One would think that the word "consensus" would be used a little more gingerly in a forum where the received wisdom of the church of global warming is hotly disputed.

Okay, Mr. Barrister.

I submit that since January 20th, the inhouse 'NeverTrump' regimen has shrunk to platoon size.

Add those to the dozen (and I'm being generous) AVID Trump supporters, and you've got a consensus among the more 'vocal' participants, as to whether Trump is taking us in the right direction.

Geez....... :thud:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online DCPatriot

So you say.   I happen to disagree.  But if you had said most in Washington are doing a damned good job of trying to insure his failure I  would have hertily agreed with you!

@Oceander has an unhealthy need to FEEL correct.   He cannot admit 'defeat', as he sees himself as normally, a prescient guy.

Anybody that's been around here for the past half-dozen years would know that to be true.

...but he done hit a brick wall.    :laugh:

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Oceander

Okay, Mr. Barrister.

I submit that since January 20th, the inhouse 'NeverTrump' regimen has shrunk to platoon size.

Add those to the dozen (and I'm being generous) AVID Trump supporters, and you've got a consensus among the more 'vocal' participants, as to whether Trump is taking us in the right direction.

Geez....... :thud:

I don't see a consensus even in the tiny little microcosm of TBR.  If you do, that's fine with me; you're entitled to believe what you want to believe. 

Oceander

So you say.  :shrug:

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Stop the personal attacks..there will be no other warning...
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mountaineer

Personal attacks don't win the argument, dc.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online DCPatriot

I was not personally attacking him.

I was pointing out that he never gives up in any debate/argument....and that there was indeed a consensus of opinion in TBR.

Online DCPatriot

Where did I "attack" him?

Is it now that we aren't even allowed to challenge somebody we've known for a decade or more??

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Seems personal from the cheap seats...

@Oceander has an unhealthy need to FEEL correct.   He cannot admit 'defeat', as he sees himself as normally, a prescient guy.

Anybody that's been around here for the past half-dozen years would know that to be true.

...but he done hit a brick wall.    :laugh:
with a dash of personal ridicule thrown in.

If you have an idea to attack, attack that, not the person.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline corbe

Is it now that we aren't even allowed to challenge somebody we've known for a decade or more??

@DCPatriot though we don't agree on to much when it comes to the President, right now, I've always tried to respect your longevity here, but sometimes, here lately, you and your buddies have been trolling these threads trying to stir our passions only for discord. IMHO
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

That still presupposes that there is already a consensus, which there is not.  A "growing consensus" is still a consensus. 

And the fact that his overall approval rating is in the low 40% or so also cuts against the existence of a consensus, growing or otherwise.

Ah, @Oceander  I'm not looking to start a war.  I merely posted my observations .... there is a growing opinion that President Trump has done some good and damn gutsy things for us all.

If you disagree, simply say so ... and move on.  There's really no need to drag others into this or turn this into a grand debate.  We've more important battles to win.

Thanks.

@mystery-ak

« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 11:27:30 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline Old Warrior in Exile

Red State. The rubber room for Trump Derangement Syndrome.

All these dead enders live in a world that doesn't exist and in most cases never did.

A pack of hyenas.

I recall them going after Palin with much gusto.

It is fine to be condemnatory of fellow conservatives/Republicans if there is a legitimate grievance,
but at least have the discretion not to engage in synchronized fire with the leftists.
Barba non facit philosophum.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Sorry, my friend, but yes.  I posted a reply to @Oceander ... hopefully this ends.

:bighug: @DCPatriot

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
Walks in room, gets a feel for what the thread has devolved into... quietly shuts the door behind me and leaves seeing I seemed to have walk right back into TOS right before they called me names and tossed me out.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Oceander

Ah, @Oceander  I'm not looking to start a war.  I merely posted my observations .... there is a growing opinion that President Trump has done some good and damn gutsy things for us all.

If you disagree, simply say so ... and move on.  There's really no need to drag others into this or turn this into a grand debate.  We've more important battles to win.

Thanks.

@mystery-ak

I agree that there is a growing opinion that Trump has done some good.  I never said otherwise.  But the claim I responded to wasn't claiming just that some people were changing their minds, but that there was a growing consensus that he was doing a lot of good. 

"Consensus" is a loaded word with a lot of connotations, as the global warming fight makes clear.  Since words have consequences, as the global warming fight makes clear, then it is worth debating their parameters and whether and how they apply to a given set of facts.  I'm sorry if I've offended you by seeking a clean debate on the applicability of the word "consensus" to Trumps record of accomplishment.  :shrug:

I agree that there is a growing opinion that Trump has done some good.  I never said otherwise.  But the claim I responded to wasn't claiming just that some people were changing their minds, but that there was a growing consensus that he was doing a lot of good. 

"Consensus" is a loaded word with a lot of connotations, as the global warming fight makes clear.  Since words have consequences, as the global warming fight makes clear, then it is worth debating their parameters and whether and how they apply to a given set of facts.  I'm sorry if I've offended you by seeking a clean debate on the applicability of the word "consensus" to Trumps record of accomplishment.  :shrug:

Oh, do shut up, will you?

Splitting hairs and parsing a word like consensus to the point of being pedantic?

The best way to to define consensus is by examining a couple of its antonyms:

disagreement and dispute.

There. I hope this has helped you in some manner.

Get your skivvies out of a wad and have a beer.

Lighten up a little.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 01:35:38 am by Old Warrior in Exile »