Author Topic: Why I'm Anti-Anti-Anti-Anti-Trump  (Read 643 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Why I'm Anti-Anti-Anti-Anti-Trump
« on: June 03, 2017, 07:17:18 pm »
By Robert Tracinski
http://thefederalist.com/2017/06/02/anti-anti-anti-anti-trump/

I’ve changed my mind. For a while, I was anti-Trump. Then, during the first days of the administration,
I flirted with being anti-anti-Trump. Then for a while I was in the anti-anti-anti-Trump camp. But gosh darn it,
I’m fed up with the anti-anti-anti-Trumpers, so now I’m anti-anti-anti-anti-Trump. So wait, where does that put
me, exactly?

Welcome to the tangled web of stupid partisan bickering in 2017.

The term anti-anti-Trump was introduced a few months ago by Jonathan Last, who defined it as “an emerging
group of conservatives who seem reluctant to criticize Trump, but who aren’t particularly interested in defending
him, directly. Instead, they tend to focus on the media reaction to Trump and the antics of the left.” There’s
something to this. There’s a definite temptation to find yourself siding with Trump all of the time just because a
fair number of his critics are so thoroughly detestable and make such a terrible case for their views. But supporting
someone just because you hate his enemies is a form of intellectual corruption and needs to be resisted . . .

. . . [L]et’s get rid of this whole ridiculous terminology. At the end of the day, I am not anti-Trump. I’m not anti-anti-
Trump. I’m not anti-anti-anti-Trump. I’m not even anti-anti-anti-anti-Trump. Being for or against a single person is
not an ideology, and it’s not a stand on principle. It’s the opposite of ideas and principles. It’s only about personal
loyalty or enmity. It is not principled, for example, to vigorously oppose the Paris Agreement—then flip-flop on it
simply because Trump opposes it.

It’s certainly valid, even necessary, to arrive at an overall estimate of Trump as a leader and as a person. I recently
declared him to be foolish and reckless, and I’m sure I’ve said much worse in the past. But if it’s a form of intellectual
corruption to be tempted to defend him constantly just because you hate his critics, it’s also an intellectual corruption
to attack him constantly, or to give his critics a free pass, just because you don’t like him.

The unions used to have a saying: no permanent allies, no permanent enemies, just permanent interests. We should
adapt that into a better form: no permanent allies, no permanent enemies, just permanent principles. Then feel free
to judge both sides by how well they live up to, or—since this is 2017—how far they fall short of those principles.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 07:17:54 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Why I'm Anti-Anti-Anti-Anti-Trump
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2017, 10:08:40 pm »
What I want to know is, Who called that fellow a piccolo player?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2017, 10:12:14 pm »
What I want to know is, Who called that fellow a piccolo player?
I was wondering about the tuba player myself.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2017, 10:19:39 pm »
I was wondering about the tuba player myself.
I have a feeling they were part of the same basic joke.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2017, 01:23:48 am »
My English teacher said a double negative makes a positive, so don't four of them make it a positive too?

Maybe this guy was also taught by Sister Stella.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2017, 01:32:27 am »
My English teacher said a double negative makes a positive, so don't four of them make it a positive too?

Maybe this guy was also taught by Sister Stella.
Mine said a double positive doesn't make a negative.

Yeah, right.

C S Lewis