Author Topic: How to Talk About Climate Change Issues in 2017  (Read 2831 times)

Oceander

Re: How to Talk About Climate Change Issues in 2017
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2017, 11:43:49 am »
Good stuff.  Thanks. 

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2017, 01:52:47 pm »
It would be much better if it didn't have misinformation, but instead just stuck to the facts.

To pull a simple example...
There is no evidence of an acceleration of sea
level rise

It would be correct to state that there is conflicting evidence, with some evidence for acceleration, some against. But instead, they lie.

Why do both sides have to be so dishonest?
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2017, 02:56:51 pm »
Good reading.  In my case I just say 'It's called "weather"'
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2017, 04:45:57 pm »
Good reading.  In my case I just say 'It's called "weather"'

As that makes you look ignorant of the difference between weather and climate, do you identify yourself as a liberal first?
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2017, 04:58:11 pm »
Climate has always changed.  Humans don't have a damn thing to do with it.   

Envirowhackos like to imagine the Earth without humans.  We are part of the environment....get over it.

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2017, 11:47:59 am »
As that makes you look ignorant of the difference between weather and climate, do you identify yourself as a liberal first?

Climate is just the weather you expect to get, and in the case of the "climate scientists" what your favorite modeling program tells you to expect, even if it cannot reproduce past climate data. The partial differential equations used in modeling weather double the error every five days they try to project into the future. These are the same ones used by your local meteorologists to give you a five day forecast, usually really good  for 12 to 24 hours, after that the errors accumulate and the predictions are less likely to be accurate.

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2017, 01:38:42 pm »
Climate is just the weather you expect to get, and in the case of the "climate scientists" what your favorite modeling program tells you to expect, even if it cannot reproduce past climate data. The partial differential equations used in modeling weather double the error every five days they try to project into the future. These are the same ones used by your local meteorologists to give you a five day forecast, usually really good  for 12 to 24 hours, after that the errors accumulate and the predictions are less likely to be accurate.
Thanks.  I assume that you were answering the wacko I have had on ignore for the past year.

He is 100% fluff to entertain himself on delusional feats of nothingness as he sneers at the rest of the world for their lack of intelligence he hopelessly attempts to generate.

Oh, and my dad was a meteorologist his entire life, and you are correct in your assessments.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 01:40:24 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2017, 02:26:31 pm »
Thanks.  I assume that you were answering the wacko I have had on ignore for the past year.

He is 100% fluff to entertain himself on delusional feats of nothingness as he sneers at the rest of the world for their lack of intelligence he hopelessly attempts to generate.

Oh, and my dad was a meteorologist his entire life, and you are correct in your assessments.

I've actually seen the code for one of the programs back in the early 1980's, though I suspect they have updated it from FORTRAN by now.....

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Oceander

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2017, 02:35:05 am »
I've actually seen the code for one of the programs back in the early 1980's, though I suspect they have updated it from FORTRAN by now.....

FORTRAN is still very much alive and well.

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2017, 10:38:25 pm »
FORTRAN is still very much alive and well.

Most of the legacy codes we have at my company are in FORTRAN. SOmetimes a kid has built a GUI interface for them, sometimes not.

Offline Old Warrior in Exile

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2017, 10:52:39 pm »
@rangerrebew

I ran across this YouTube video at Instapundit today and hoped you wouldn't mind
if I posted it on this thread.

The political left has been disseminating their Chicken Little, environmental collapse, fear mongering/brainwashing since at least as early as the 1960s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YoHJIpM_oA
Barba non facit philosophum.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2017, 03:53:45 am »

So I suppose since we can't predict the exact National Debt over the next month, we might wake up with it gone one day...after all, if we can't predict beyond 5 days, general trends are worthless.

Sure.
+++++++++

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2017, 04:14:11 am »

Awww...you poor wittow snowflake... Afraid knowledge will get in the way of your preconceived ideas... how precious!

Don't worry...I won't waste my time on you.

Besides, I'm not talking to you, because I didn't mention you.

How sweet.  I married a meteorologist I met in grad school...we even were in climatology graduate classes together.  She did modeling (numerical and analytical). Her thesis was more equations than text.  And she and I are both aware that despite errors building up for weather modeling, climate modeling isn't just an extrapolation of weather models.   It's modeling averages, central tendencies, not predicting day-to-day specifics.  If your father didn't realize the difference between climate and weather models, then I'd suggest he wasn't very up to date...when was he a meteorologist?
+++++++++

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2017, 04:41:24 pm »
Awww...you poor wittow snowflake... Afraid knowledge will get in the way of your preconceived ideas... how precious!

Don't worry...I won't waste my time on you.

Besides, I'm not talking to you, because I didn't mention you.

How sweet.  I married a meteorologist I met in grad school...we even were in climatology graduate classes together.  She did modeling (numerical and analytical). Her thesis was more equations than text.  And she and I are both aware that despite errors building up for weather modeling, climate modeling isn't just an extrapolation of weather models.   It's modeling averages, central tendencies, not predicting day-to-day specifics.  If your father didn't realize the difference between climate and weather models, then I'd suggest he wasn't very up to date...when was he a meteorologist?

OK Einstein, tell me how you can depend upon computer models to predict future trends when they CANNOT re-create past climate data without fudging the outputs. Also, tell me why NASA/NOAA got caught fudging the archived raw data to make it seem the recent past was much cooler than it actually was, AND most importantly, why is the measured increase in global average temperature significant if that measured increase is less than the overall uncertainty in the measuring instrumentation. In the real world, that is not significant, it is instrument noise.

If I tried to sneak something like the climate change crap past the NRC as a scientific study, I would be up on criminal charges so fast my head would spin.

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2017, 05:35:07 pm »
OK Einstein, tell me how you can depend upon computer models to predict future trends when they CANNOT re-create past climate data without fudging the outputs. Also, tell me why NASA/NOAA got caught fudging the archived raw data to make it seem the recent past was much cooler than it actually was, AND most importantly, why is the measured increase in global average temperature significant if that measured increase is less than the overall uncertainty in the measuring instrumentation. In the real world, that is not significant, it is instrument noise.

If I tried to sneak something like the climate change crap past the NRC as a scientific study, I would be up on criminal charges so fast my head would spin.
Thx, @Joe Wooten .  See why he is a plain ignore?

Nothing to offer, just a nose-in-the-air attitude.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2017, 05:42:01 pm »
http://www.cfact.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/Climate-Talking-Points.pdf

Best way to shut up every enviro-whacko on global warming.

Ask them how the Vikings colonized Greenland a 1000 years ago, where now it is too cold.

Never got much else back but stuttering and inherent babbling.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline thackney

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2017, 06:45:21 pm »

Ask them how the Vikings colonized Greenland a 1000 years ago, where now it is too cold.

I keep wondering what you mean by "where now it is too cold."

After the Norsemen, other groups also traveled to and lived on Greenland.  The population today is much larger than the few thousands that lived there ~1,000 years ago.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2017, 07:17:54 pm »
I keep wondering what you mean by "where now it is too cold."

After the Norsemen, other groups also traveled to and lived on Greenland.  The population today is much larger than the few thousands that lived there ~1,000 years ago.

50,000 now in this technological age versus a couple of thousand a 1000 years ago is not a good comparison.  Heck we now have the ability now to colonize space.  Remember those few thousand had to sustain off the land, and there is enough evidence that it was warmer during the MWP than now.  Modern day Greenland is not really the case for traditional colonization.

Also research the dna found from tree matters from ice corings several hundred miles inland  100,000's of years ago.  There are several other compelling arguments that (1) Yes, the earth is warming on a short term scale.  (2) It has been warmer than now many times in this planets history (3) There is no evidence that man is impacting the climate of any consequence

Sea ice drift was not documented my Norsemen until the 
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2017, 07:31:12 pm »

Yep. You can also mention that as the glaciers retreat there, they are finding the remains of Viking dairy farms.......

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2017, 07:35:28 pm »
Chew on this for awhile!

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2009/07/090731-green-sahara.html

Even more interesting, the Sahara was steppe plains 5000 years ago. The dust from what is now desert also feeds and fuels the rain for the Amazon rain forest.

So, what was the Amazon actually like 5000 years ago? What archaeology has been done seems to indicate it was inhabited and farmed extensively. Is it going that route again?
The Republic is lost.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2017, 07:46:33 pm »
17 New Scientific Papers Dispute CO2 Greenhouse Effect As Primary Explanation For Climate Change:

http://notrickszone.com/2017/06/01/3-chemists-conclude-co2-greenhouse-effect-is-unreal-violates-laws-of-physics-thermodynamics/

Great list of articles refuting the very foundation of 'global warming' - the CO2 Greenhouse Effect.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 07:46:51 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2017, 09:26:36 pm »
17 New Scientific Papers Dispute CO2 Greenhouse Effect As Primary Explanation For Climate Change:

http://notrickszone.com/2017/06/01/3-chemists-conclude-co2-greenhouse-effect-is-unreal-violates-laws-of-physics-thermodynamics/

Great list of articles refuting the very foundation of 'global warming' - the CO2 Greenhouse Effect.

I have seen those analyses as far back as 20 years ago, but they were ignored and in some cases suppressed and/or the authors put up for heavy ridicule. That was one of the first acts of the warmistas that clued me in they were running a scam.