Author Topic: Here Are 5 Pieces Of Evidence Trump Didn't Fire Comey Over The Clinton Investigation Foul-Up (Shapiro)  (Read 776 times)

Offline corbe

Here Are 5 Pieces Of Evidence Trump Didn't Fire Comey Over The Clinton Investigation Foul-Up

By: Ben Shapiro,
 May 10, 2017

The big question in the firing of FBI director James Comey remains the most obvious: why? As I wrote yesterday, there are two theories as to why Comey would be fired. The first: incompetence on the non-indictment of Hillary Clinton, followed by revelations of new material appearing on Anthony Weiner’s computer, followed by exoneration, followed by testimony before Congress making Comey appear even more incompetent. Under this theory, Trump wasn’t just justified in firing Comey, he should have done it months ago.

Then there’s the second theory: that Trump is covering something up, that Comey’s FBI investigation into Trump associates’ communications with Russia during the election cycle was reaching a tipping point, and that Trump dumped Comey to kill the investigation. Under this theory, it’s no coincidence that Trump knocked off Comey the same evening CNN reported that the FBI had issued subpoenas to associates of ousted National Security Advisor Mike Flynn, who is under investigation for his ties to the Russian government.

But here’s a third theory: Trump fired Comey because he was angry Comey was allowing the Russia investigation to drag along, and used Comey’s ridiculous Congressional testimony as a pretext for firing him. Under this theory, Trump isn’t necessarily guilty of collusion with Russia – at least not knowingly – and he’s merely ticked off that Comey appeared to be dragging his feet while refusing to state openly that he had no evidence of Trump-Russia collusion.

There’s a lot of evidence to support this third theory.

1. Trump is obviously angry at Comey over Russia. In his letter firing Comey, Trump dropped the following bizarre sentence: “While I greatly appreciate you informing me, on three separate occasions, that I am not under investigation, I nevertheless concur with the judgment of the Department of Justice that you are not able to effectively lead the Bureau.” What does this have to do with Hillary Clinton and the purpose of Comey’s firing as articulated by deputy attorney general Rod Rosenstein? Nothing. It’s a bugaboo of Trump’s and he’s not letting it go.

Politico reports something similar today:

He had grown enraged by the Russia investigation, two advisers said, frustrated by his inability to control the mushrooming narrative around Russia. He repeatedly asked aides why the Russia investigation wouldn’t disappear and demanded they speak out for him. He would sometimes scream at television clips about the probe, one adviser said….Trump had grown angry with the Russia investigation — particularly Comey admitting in front of the Senate that the FBI was investigating his campaign — and that the FBI director wouldn't support his claims that President Barack Obama had tapped his phones in Trump Tower.

2. Trump’s been using Twitter to bash the Trump-Russia investigation. The day before firing Comey, Trump tweeted:

Donald J. Trump
✔  ‎@realDonaldTrump 

The Russia-Trump collusion story is a total hoax, when will this taxpayer funded charade end?

5:46 PM - 8 May 2017
The next day, Comey was gone.

3. Rosenstein’s letter is dated yesterday. It took the White House some 18 days to decide to fire Flynn after being informed by acting attorney general Sally Yates that Flynn had been compromised by the Russians. It took the White House five seconds to fire Flynn after receiving a letter from Rosenstein. As Bill Kristol notes:

Bill Kristol
✔  ‎@BillKristol 

The Rosenstein memo is dated...today. So there was no real recommendation from DOJ. Trump wanted to do it, and they created a paper trail.

6:21 PM - 9 May 2017
This is obviously correct. Trump wanted Comey gone, and the Rosenstein letter was the excuse.

<..snip..>

http://www.dailywire.com/news/16274/here-are-5-pieces-evidence-trump-didnt-fire-comey-ben-shapiro?utm_content=social&utm_medium=@federalists_usa&utm_source=thenewamericana.com&utm_campaign=thefederalistparty.org

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Frank Cannon

Who cares. The President can fire the FBI Director and he did. Why is irrelevant.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Who cares. The President can fire the FBI Director and he did. Why is irrelevant.

Only reason I'm paying any attention at all is that no one knows why - it's speculation in all directions.

Looks like the WH leaks are pretty well patched.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

The facts don't matter. 
Here is a fact that also doesn't matter.
President Trump holds the record for fastest call for a special prosecutor.

My staff and I are reviewing legislation to establish an independent commission on Russia. The second paragraph of this letter is bizarre. - Justin Amash

https://twitter.com/justinamash/status/862089192603607041

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
None of this is going to end well for the administration.