Author Topic: House to vote Thursday on ObamaCare repeal...[updated...House Passes]  (Read 18869 times)

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Re: House to vote Thursday on ObamaCare repeal...[updated...House Passes]
« Reply #125 on: May 04, 2017, 07:50:13 pm »
Ryan did his (pretty much thankless) job on this bill, and ate a whole lot of crap while doing it.  That would explain the sh-teating grin.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #126 on: May 04, 2017, 08:00:04 pm »
Failing to put forward a better plan and ensure that the US healthcare system itself doesn't implode will result in an acceptance that Republicans cannot govern...and that while Obamacare was a disaster, Republican governance could do nothing to avert it. We would, by extension, be perceived as having let down the little guy...the working poor, Union households, small businesses, etcetera. Whether or not that's fair...and it isn't...that would be the general perception, and its a narrative the MSM could push to disastrous effect on the GOP. So yes, it would cost us the next few elections.

Do you really think that the narrative on a collapsing Obamacare would be anything other than its the Republicans fault for failing to govern effectively? That's naive...such a narrative would be baloney, as we all know, but it would be devastatingly effective for the Left. We can't hand that weapon to them, if we do we will pay a huge electoral price.

The "better plan"...is to go back to what we had BEFORE Obamacare was shoved down our throats.

This is NOT the "better plan" that they barely passed.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #127 on: May 04, 2017, 08:02:34 pm »
Friends - FAKE NEWS ALERT

Here is the text of the legislation passed:

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-115hr1628rh/pdf/BILLS-115hr1628rh.pdf

This is NOT a repeal. Please do not be tricked into thinking it is a repeal. This is an AMENDMENT to the ACA, as plainly stated in the text of the legislation itself. While it changes certain aspects of the ACA, the ACA is not repealed and is still in existence.

The original bill and subsequent regulations are 10,535 pages long. This amendment is 126 pages long. Question: how many pages of the original 10,535 do you really think have been stricken?

I'm guessing none have been stricken.

But that won't stop the spinners from spinning this into a good thing.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Online corbe

« Reply #128 on: May 04, 2017, 08:11:16 pm »
   I see progress in Trump's announcement, at least he didn't make them all wear Lab Coats.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online libertybele

« Reply #129 on: May 04, 2017, 08:11:24 pm »
Yes, and I don't know how much influence Cruz has with the desiccated corpses like McCain and others who are mired in negativity.

Well, at this point in time, Cruz has much more at stake than McCain as he is up for re-election in 2018 and so I'm sure he's going to do all that he can to perhaps make some additional changes and help get this thing through. However, he himself, Paul and Lee have all commented saying its too similar to the ACA.  Hopefully they will all hold steady and stick to their guns and the American people will get a much better healthcare plan than Bammycare.  Paul and Lee aren't up for re-election in 2018, leaving Cruz in a really tough spot.  Cruz in the past from what I can see has always voted for what he's thought is in the best interest of the country ... if he thinks the bill is not any better or worse than Bammycare, he just may vote against it.
Continued prayers for Trump's safety and that the Lord God Jesus Christ surrounds him with angels to protect him from all evil. 

May HE also have mercy on this country and stop the evil that keeps prevailing.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #130 on: May 04, 2017, 08:13:06 pm »
Ryan did his (pretty much thankless) job on this bill, and ate a whole lot of crap while doing it.  That would explain the sh-teating grin.

He was saving his sorry a$$.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #131 on: May 04, 2017, 08:15:43 pm »
Right_in_Virginia wrote:
"Now the Senate gets its say ... I'm happy the bill is on the move!"

As am I.

Remember back only a few weeks ago -- folks can remember back that far, I suppose?
Remember how the first iteration of obamacare repeal failed, and how folks in here wailed, that that was the end? That Congress would do no more?

Where are they now?
Why of course they're STILL HERE, and STILL WAILING.

Pay no mind to them (I don't).
They won't change, they'll never come around (until the democrat/communists win again, perhaps then they'll be smiling).

What passed the House today is -a start-, and now the effort begins to get it through the senate. Hopefully, without too much changed.

If this can get passed by Congress, and signed by Mr. Trump, then it becomes time to "chip away further" at the obamacare edifice.

The left has understood for decades that they can't get all they want at once. So they move incrementally, bit by bit, a little at a time towards building their colossus. This is why they win. Two steps forward, one back, but they keep pushing, always pushing.

We can't tear down that colossus at once. Like them we must gird our loins (to use a repetitive term from Joseph Smith's writings) and keep struggling as well.

It's often said here that once enacted, an entitlement is here to stay. Today the Congress took the first steps to dismantling an "enacted entitlement". That they got even this far is somewhat astonishing. Rather than condemn them for not "repealing the whole thing", we should be encouraging them onward.

A hat tip to the forum members who have supported such notions with many more postings, better than any I could write.

And to the Trump haters here, who scowl at anything the guy tries to do, well... I fart in your general direction!

Online libertybele

« Reply #132 on: May 04, 2017, 08:16:20 pm »
   I see progress in Trump's announcement, at least he didn't make them all wear Lab Coats.

:amen:   I sat and listened to Hannity and he had the audio on of the announcement of the House passing the bill and listened to the introduction by Pence, the kissy-huggy comments by Trump and then Ryan ... I couldn't listen to Ryan all the way through; it was more than I could handle.  I didn't believe a darn word that any of them were saying ... other than "this is just the beginning". 

I'm hoping we can get some real changes on the ACA coming from the Senate; in particular from Cruz and Paul.
Continued prayers for Trump's safety and that the Lord God Jesus Christ surrounds him with angels to protect him from all evil. 

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #133 on: May 04, 2017, 08:22:09 pm »

I understand from listening to Gingrich a couple of days ago, that this bill (modified) is derivative of a plan Ryan had years ago.

I am going to give him credit now, that his job has been completed finally. I am also giving the HFC credit, for sticking by their guns.

Next the Senate, where a handful of Senators hold too much power, given their tendencies.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #134 on: May 04, 2017, 08:43:43 pm »
Let's see if McConnell shows the same discipline he showed under Gorsuch with this bill.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #135 on: May 04, 2017, 09:06:14 pm »
j myrle wrote:
"Let's see if McConnell shows the same discipline he showed under Gorsuch with this bill."

Hopefully, Mr. Trump will put his feet to the fire on this.

May provide the right impetus to repeal the filibuster altogether, partially (perhaps regarding budgetary matters only), or even to revoke (I think it's called) "Rule 19"...

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #136 on: May 04, 2017, 09:07:53 pm »
I'm guessing none have been stricken.

But that won't stop the spinners from spinning this into a good thing.

People, people ... (and you too, Corbe).

Nobody is saying this is a great thing.  We're saying that is a possible thing that barely passed at that.

We'll see what happens in the Senate.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #137 on: May 04, 2017, 09:12:13 pm »

Nobody is saying this is a great thing.  We're saying that is a possible thing that barely passed at that.

Ummm you might wanna look around...there are several people spinning this as a great thing.

Lipstick on a pig is all it is.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #138 on: May 04, 2017, 09:14:08 pm »
Ummm you might wanna look around...there are several people spinning this as a great thing.

Lipstick on a pig is all it is.

Looking all around ... so ... is it better than nothing or NOT better than nothing?  I think we needed to pass something and this bill has some good stuff in it.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #139 on: May 04, 2017, 09:16:18 pm »
Looking all around ... so ... is it better than nothing or NOT better than nothing? 

Going back to pre Obamacare is better than what got passed in the House today.

I think we needed to pass something and this bill has some good stuff in it.

Like what?

Online libertybele

« Reply #140 on: May 04, 2017, 09:20:47 pm »

There are 9 Republican Senators (Cruz is one) in '18 who are up for re-election, 23 DEMS and 2 IND.  It may be a real tough fight.  We basically have 1/3 of the Senate defending their seats and this is an issue that could impact them retaining their seats. 
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 09:21:04 pm by libertybele »

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #141 on: May 04, 2017, 10:05:32 pm »
Going back to pre Obamacare is better than what got passed in the House today.
Well, duh. Have you got the votes needed to get that passed? I think not. People who want to move the conservative agenda forward have to live in the real world, where we are bounded by the parameter of what is actually possible. Given the makeup of our current congress, what you want was clearly impossible. A starving man doesn't turn down half of a sandwich because he's certain on principle that someone owes him a full one.

Like what?

This bill is a start. No more. But make no mistake, it IS step one in a PROCESS of repeal and replace.  It is madness to see this as anything other than tremendous progress towards the goal of pulling government back from its attempted takeover of the entire health care system.
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #142 on: May 04, 2017, 10:13:32 pm »
Link with full text of the bill added in a thread here for research/discussion:
http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,261397.0.html

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #143 on: May 04, 2017, 10:55:09 pm »
@txradioguy @Emjay

I think we needed to pass something and this bill has some good stuff in it.

Like what?

1) It eliminated the business mandate, which crippled some businesses;

2) It eliminated the individual mandate and associated tax penalty if you didn't buy qualifying insurance;

3) It ended the "entitlement" aspect of the ACA Medicaid expansion, and amounts to an actuarial savings over $800B over ten years.

Those are some significant "good things" even if they were not everything that we wanted.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 10:56:32 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #144 on: May 04, 2017, 11:09:51 pm »
@txradioguy @Emjay

2) It eliminated the individual mandate and associated tax penalty if you didn't buy qualifying insurance;

3) It ended the "entitlement" aspect of the ACA Medicaid expansion, and amounts to an actuarial savings over $800B over ten years.

Those are some significant "good things" even if they were not everything that we wanted.

Where's the elimination of the state run insurance pools?

The mandate is just renamed from my understanding.

Where is the elimination of people being forced to pay for coverage they don't need? 

That saving you're proud of ...will never be realized I'm actual dollars in anyone's pocket.

Where is the repeal of Obamacare we've been promoted for the last six years? 

The reason the Dems continually steam roll the GOP and aren't scared when we have a majority is because of attitudes like yours that changing 5% of a horrible bill is better than nothing and we should be grateful for the crumbs we've been thrown.

Silver Pines

« Reply #145 on: May 04, 2017, 11:16:50 pm »
We have control of the governmental branches, and conservatives are trying to convince themselves that this double decker crap sandwich is better than the triple decker crap sandwich...that it's all we can hope for.

No.  No, it isn't.  It's not nearly good enough. 

I sincerely marvel at the endless capacity of people on our side to absorb insults, lies, etc. from the scam artists who take their votes, and still come crawling back for more.  This is why they can lie openly to us without any intention of keeping their promises.

Once again, it's the old, oh, let's kick the can down the road, this is just the beginning, it's going to get done later delusion.  That's a fool's dream. 

Online libertybele

« Reply #146 on: May 04, 2017, 11:22:03 pm »
Where's the elimination of the state run insurance pools?

Where is the elimination of people being forced to pay for coverage they don't need? 

That saving you're proud of ...will never be realized I'm actual dollars in anyone's pocket.

Where is the repeal of Obamacare we've been promoted for the last six years? 

The reason the Dems continually steam roll the GOP and aren't scared when we have a majority is because of attitudes like yours that changing 5% of a horrible bill is better than nothing and we should be grateful for the crumbs we've been thrown.

I haven't gone through and read the entire text of the bill, but it does actually "repeal" some of the ACA.  I am not in anyway saying that I am of the mindset that at least we got something as we were promised full 'repeal'.  At this point I think we can agree that has not happened and unfortunately is unlikely to happen.  Some say this is only the first phase of many to full repeal ... I personally remain skeptical, but the bill does specifically target repealing some taxes. It's up to the Senate now of course and it will be interesting to see what they do; I'm hoping that they push for further repeal and to open up the marketplace.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #147 on: May 04, 2017, 11:36:30 pm »
@txradioguy @Emjay

I'm curious about the 20 Republicans who voted against it.  I wonder if they didn't like some of the provisions or didn't think it was a strong enough bill.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #148 on: May 04, 2017, 11:37:14 pm »

No, it isn't.  It's gone.  There is no mandate.

However, if you choose to go uninsured for a couple months, and then try to buy insurance, you may be charged more by the insurance company.  So there's no government mandate to buy insurance, but if you try to game the system by only signing up when you have big bills, the insurance companies can at least partially offset your cost.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #149 on: May 04, 2017, 11:37:48 pm »
I'm curious about the 20 Republicans who voted against it.  I wonder if they didn't like some of the provisions or didn't think it was a strong enough bill.

It looks like 3 of the votes against were from conservatives -- all the rest were from the "moderates".