Author Topic: House to vote Thursday on ObamaCare repeal...[updated...House Passes]  (Read 19325 times)

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Re: House to vote Thursday on ObamaCare repeal...[updated...House Passes]
« Reply #100 on: May 04, 2017, 06:27:02 pm »
House passes revised bill to repeal and replace Obamacare

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/house-passes-revised-bill-to-repeal-and-replace-obamacare-2017-05-04-141032048

The House of Representatives passed a revised bill to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act on Thursday, voting along party lines in a drama-filled roll call that saw Republicans secure just enough support for one of their top legislative priorities.

The bill — which among other things would replace Obamacare subsidies with a system of tax credits — cleared the House on a vote of 217 to 213. No Democrats voted for the measure, named the American Health Care Act. See the text of the bill.

Republicans and President Donald Trump campaigned on replacing Obamacare, and the House’s action brings them a step closer to a chief policy goal. As the House voted, Trump tweeted the plan would be “great health care!”

Passage of the bill follows a failed effort by House Republican leaders in March, when an earlier version was pulled due to lack of support from conservatives. Since then, a number of changes have been made, including an amendment that would provide $8 billion over five years to help Americans with pre-existing conditions.

Addressing the House before the vote, Speaker Paul Ryan thanked Trump for his “steadfast leadership” and said lawmakers were ending the “failed experiment” of Obamacare...
The Republic is lost.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #101 on: May 04, 2017, 06:28:48 pm »
Republican Obamacare replacement bill passes House

•GOP leaders had struggled for months to win enough support for the bill in their caucus
•The bill faces a potentially harder road to winning passage in the Senate
•An earlier version of the bill was expected to lead 24 million more people to become uninsured

Dan Mangan   | Jacob Pramuk   

The U.S. House of Representatives on Thursday cast enough votes to pass a Republican-sponsored bill that would repeal key parts of the Affordable Care Act, and replace them with new provisions.

The vote — certain to be touted as a big victory for President Donald Trump and House GOP leadership — now sends the controversial legislation to gut Obamacare over to the Senate for consideration.

But winning approval for the bill could be even more difficult in the Senate than it has been in the House, where Republican leaders struggled for nearly two months to wrangle up enough votes in their caucus to secure its passage.

"A lot of use have waited seven years to case this vote," said House Speaker Paul Ryan, R-Wisc., shortly before the voting began. "Many of us are here because we pledged to cast this vote: to repeal and replace Obamacare."

"This bill delivers the promises we have made to the American people," Ryan said.

House Majority Whip Steve Scalise, R-La., told MSNBC shortly before the vote began, "We were elected to do this."

The bill — which would dramatically the change the way the federal government funds purchases of individual health plans and Medicaid — is expected to dramatically increase the number of people without health insurance if enacted into law.

Effect on pre-existing conditions

Thursday's vote came a week after the bill was amended to include a provision that won support from conservative holdouts. That provision would, under certain conditions, undo Obamacare's ban on letting insurers charge people with pre-existing health conditions more for their insurance plans than healthy people.

Moderate Republicans initially blanched at that provision. But on Wednesday a number of them agreed to support the bill after the addition of another amendment that would increase funding designed to reduce the impact of the higher premiums on people with pre-existing conditions. Analysis questions how far that funding may go to cut costs for those Americans.

The bill, known as the American Health Care Act, would remove the Obamacare rule requiring most Americans to have health coverage of some kind.

snip

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/05/04/republican-obamacare-replacement-bill-wins-enough-votes-to-pass-house.html
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 06:36:51 pm by truth_seeker »
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #102 on: May 04, 2017, 06:31:54 pm »

•GOP leaders had struggled for months to win enough support for the bill in their caucus
•An earlier version of the bill was expected to lead 24 million more people to become uninsured

Dan Mangan   | Jacob Pramuk   

The U.S. House of Representatives on Thursday cast enough votes to pass a Republican-sponsored bill that would repeal key parts of the Affordable Care Act, and replace them with new provisions.

The vote — certain to be touted as a big victory for President Donald Trump and House GOP leadership — now sends the controversial legislation to gut Obamacare over to the Senate for consideration.

But winning approval for the bill could be even more difficult in the Senate than it has been in the House, where Republican leaders struggled for nearly two months to wrangle up enough votes in their caucus to secure its passage.

"A lot of use have waited seven years to case this vote," said House Speaker Paul Ryan, R-Wisc., shortly before the voting began. "Many of us are here because we pledged to cast this vote: to repeal and replace Obamacare."

"This bill delivers the promises we have made to the American people," Ryan said.

House Majority Whip Steve Scalise, R-La., told MSNBC shortly before the vote began, "We were elected to do this."

The bill — which would dramatically the change the way the federal government funds purchases of individual health plans and Medicaid — is expected to dramatically increase the number of people without health insurance if enacted into law.

Thursday's vote came a week after the bill was amended to include a provision that won support from conservative holdouts. That provision would, under certain conditions, undo Obamacare's ban on letting insurers charge people with pre-existing health conditions more for their insurance plans than healthy people.

Moderate Republicans initially blanched at that provision. But on Wednesday a number of them agreed to support the bill after the addition of another amendment that would increase funding designed to reduce the impact of the higher premiums on people with pre-existing conditions. Analysis questions how far that funding may go to cut costs for those Americans.

The bill, known as the American Health Care Act, would remove the Obamacare rule requiring most Americans to have health coverage of some kind.

snip

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/05/04/republican-obamacare-replacement-bill-wins-enough-votes-to-pass-house.html
Modify message

Offline BigHomer

• D'oh!
  • Homer no function beer well without
    • Not My Circus
« Reply #103 on: May 04, 2017, 06:40:23 pm »
House passes revised bill to repeal and replace Obamacare

20 Republicrats voted against Obamacare repeal and one registered a NV.
"We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #104 on: May 04, 2017, 06:40:51 pm »

Dan Mangan   | Jacob Pramuk   

snip

Modify message

The dems are furious.  That, at least, is a good indication that there are positive things in the bill.  I'm glad it passed. 
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #105 on: May 04, 2017, 06:47:09 pm »
The dems are furious.  That, at least, is a good indication that there are positive things in the bill.  I'm glad it passed.

Now the Senate gets its say ... I'm happy the bill is on the move!

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #106 on: May 04, 2017, 06:47:12 pm »
Now the celebration begins.... :thud:
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #107 on: May 04, 2017, 06:47:42 pm »
A bit over 100 days, but it is nonetheless another commitment kept.

By the President, and by the members of the GOP House I must reluctantly add.

It now goes to the GOP Senate majority, so let us now see how they do.

At this point, attention should be directed to the few GOP Senators holding tremendous power to continue punishing Americans with Obamacare, or give them breaks.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #108 on: May 04, 2017, 06:49:18 pm »
The dems are furious. That, at least, is a good indication that there are positive things in the bill.  I'm glad it passed.

Well that is a glimmer of hope.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Online Mod2

« Reply #109 on: May 04, 2017, 06:50:47 pm »
Two threads, same topic: merger mode activated.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #110 on: May 04, 2017, 06:51:52 pm »
Now the celebration begins.... :thud:

Let's hope so. We still haven't seen what was in this current bill (and from other articles, even Congress didn't see what was in it before they voted on it).

If it is all it is cracked up to be, credit where credit is due.

If it is just trading big government for big government, it needs to be called out.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #111 on: May 04, 2017, 06:53:07 pm »
Now the Senate gets its say ... I'm happy the bill is on the move!

I was wondering what Senator Ted Cruz thought about the bill.  Here is a quote from him:

"Today was an important step. I am encouraged that House Republicans were able to come together and pass a bill to repeal and replace #Obamacare. The House Freedom Caucus pressed hard to reduce premiums and make health care more affordable, and their efforts, in cooperation with the entire conference, substantially improved this bill.

Our work now goes forward in the Senate, where we should continue to improve the bill. For many weeks, I have been working closely with my Senate colleagues, from across the ideological spectrum, on consensus reforms to make health insurance more affordable. We must deliver on that promise. I am optimistic we will get the job done, and honor our commitment to provide more choices for consumers, put people in control of their healthcare, and most importantly, lower premiums."

I notice that he wants to improve the bill in the Senate ... wonder exactly what he wants to change.  Anyway, I am relieved that he is for the bill, even though it isn't perfect.

« Reply #112 on: May 04, 2017, 06:54:27 pm »
That's not what the bill would do.   If you're insured and get sick,  the insurance company shouldn't be able to cancel your insurance.   But if you let your coverage drop and then try to get back in when you get sick,  that's the classic free rider situation.   The insurance company can then charge you a higher premium.  That's only fair - why should others subsidize free riders?   

And as for losing your group coverage when you lose your job - welcome to America.   We've encouraged an employer-based insurance system since World War II, and the House bill doesn't change that.   But you should be able to transition from group insurance to individual insurance even if you have a pre-existing condition - so long as you remain continuously insured.   

goopo   :thumbsup2:

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #113 on: May 04, 2017, 06:55:51 pm »
The best response to those who think this bill is either  1) nothing, or 2) worse than nothing, is to look at what supporters of ObamaCare are saying about it:

Business Insider's Harrison Jacobs offered a concise breakdown of the change. Under current law, he wrote, "Anyone who meets the eligibility requirements [for Medicaid] has a right to enroll, and if costs go up because of new, expensive treatments or increasing healthcare needs, states receive more federal money."

The GOP plan, Jacobs explained, would "change the federal Medicaid funding to a per-capita spending cap, meaning the federal government would send states a fixed amount of money per Medicaid enrollee, regardless of whether that would cover needs or care, starting in 2020."

The upshot of that change in the funding formula? The government would save roughly $880 billion in Medicaid spending over the next decade, according to the Congressional Budget Office -- but those  savings could leave poorer Americans with less access to health care.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/whats-in-the-latest-house-gop-health-care-bill/

« Reply #114 on: May 04, 2017, 06:56:51 pm »
I was wondering what Senator Ted Cruz thought about the bill.  Here is a quote from him:

"Today was an important step. I am encouraged that House Republicans were able to come together and pass a bill to repeal and replace #Obamacare. The House Freedom Caucus pressed hard to reduce premiums and make health care more affordable, and their efforts, in cooperation with the entire conference, substantially improved this bill.

Our work now goes forward in the Senate, where we should continue to improve the bill. For many weeks, I have been working closely with my Senate colleagues, from across the ideological spectrum, on consensus reforms to make health insurance more affordable. We must deliver on that promise. I am optimistic we will get the job done, and honor our commitment to provide more choices for consumers, put people in control of their healthcare, and most importantly, lower premiums."

I notice that he wants to improve the bill in the Senate ... wonder exactly what he wants to change.  Anyway, I am relieved that he is for the bill, even though it isn't perfect.

I know Cruz is a strong proponent of tort reform ... and that's a good thing.  I'm sure Rand Paul will add to the bill based on his background in the medical field.

I am so, so happy this didn't stall again in the House .... we're one step closer to getting this done!   ^-^

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #115 on: May 04, 2017, 06:57:37 pm »

The problem is going to be the moderates in the Senate.  The advantage at this point is that because the House already passed a bill, and an unamended ObamaCare will collapse, Senate Republicans are going to get the blame if no bill passes, and ObamaCare falls apart.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #116 on: May 04, 2017, 07:07:02 pm »
The problem is going to be the moderates in the Senate.  The advantage at this point is that because the House already passed a bill, and an unamended ObamaCare will collapse, Senate Republicans are going to get the blame if no bill passes, and ObamaCare falls apart.

Yes, and I don't know how much influence Cruz has with the desiccated corpses like McCain and others who are mired in negativity.

« Reply #117 on: May 04, 2017, 07:10:32 pm »
Yes, and I don't know how much influence Cruz has with the desiccated corpses like McCain and others who are mired in negativity.

I think the Republicans can pull over Manchin on this.

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #118 on: May 04, 2017, 07:11:26 pm »
Friends - FAKE NEWS ALERT

Here is the text of the legislation passed:

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-115hr1628rh/pdf/BILLS-115hr1628rh.pdf

This is NOT a repeal. Please do not be tricked into thinking it is a repeal. This is an AMENDMENT to the ACA, as plainly stated in the text of the legislation itself. While it changes certain aspects of the ACA, the ACA is not repealed and is still in existence.

The original bill and subsequent regulations are 10,535 pages long. This amendment is 126 pages long. Question: how many pages of the original 10,535 do you really think have been stricken?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 07:13:54 pm by bolobaby »
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #119 on: May 04, 2017, 07:12:02 pm »

I'm guessing that since no one has actually read the bill yet, he's hedging a bit until he has had a chance to read it.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #120 on: May 04, 2017, 07:18:06 pm »

And it will be interesting if McConnell goes for tradition and bipahtisanship or sides with avoiding blame and getting a bill passed.

If he does, the bill is worthless, but the Dems will act like we declared martial law, which has some value I suppose.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #121 on: May 04, 2017, 07:21:12 pm »
I'm guessing that since no one has actually read the bill yet, he's hedging a bit until he has had a chance to read it.

Yeah, he'll probably have more to say later.  Speaking of Cruz, he seriously ripped Comey about Comey's fake claim that Hillary is not guilty even though she sent thousands of classified e-mails to unauthorized people on a private account .... because Hillary did not know she was breaking the law.

Cruz really tore into him about that and Comey continued to defend his position even though Hillary is now blaming him for her loss.

Sorry for the digression.

« Reply #122 on: May 04, 2017, 07:29:19 pm »

« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 07:32:14 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #123 on: May 04, 2017, 07:31:17 pm »
Not sure I like the S-eating grin on Ryan's face but, oh well.

« Reply #124 on: May 04, 2017, 07:33:06 pm »
Not sure I like the S-eating grin on Ryan's face but, oh well.

I think he only has the one grin ....  ^-^