Author Topic: Utah to Use Firing Squads in Upcoming Executions  (Read 2868 times)

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Utah to Use Firing Squads in Upcoming Executions
« on: April 29, 2017, 02:51:59 pm »
Utah will execute three inmates by firing squad for the first time since the method was reinstated in 2015 by Gov. Gary Herbert.

The three condemned, Taberon Dave Honie, Troy Michael Kell, and Ralph Leroy Menzies, all opted for the firing squad instead of the more traditional lethal injection of sodium thiopental and potassium chloride. They are all guilty of murder, with Honie also guilty of raping his ex-girlfriend’s mother in front of her grandchildren. Their execution dates have not yet been set.

Utah’s reintroduction of the firing squad comes in the middle of a national debate over the death penalty. The method was brought back in part because of a nationwide shortage of lethal injection drugs after several companies said they would stop selling them to states using them for capital punishment.

Earlier this month, Arkansas pledged to execute eight of its inmates on death row before a sedative it uses for executions expires. As of Friday, four have been killed.

In March, the Utah Department of Corrections released part of its technical manual for the execution process.  In it, the state outlines how individuals who volunteer to be in the firing squad must first complete three rehearsals, be licensed law enforcement officers and pass a firearms proficiency test.

https://heatst.com/politics/utah-to-use-firing-squads-in-upcoming-executions/
Seems the old fashioned ways may be the best.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Suppressed

Re: Utah to Use Firing Squads in Upcoming Executions
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2017, 04:11:06 pm »
LOL on the graphic!

Only LEOs allowed? No volunteers from the audience? Shucks.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Oceander

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2017, 04:23:12 pm »
I'm surprised this would be allowed to happen, volunteering notwithstanding. 

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2017, 04:56:27 pm »
I'm surprised this would be allowed to happen, volunteering notwithstanding.

Hasn't happened yet, I notice.  I'm with you, I expect this will be halted before it's carried out. 
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2017, 06:09:11 pm »
I want to see a reciprocal death, death penalty. We might actually see some benefit of deterrence returned to the death penalty if people knew you were gonna be executed in the same manner that the murder was committed. It's not so much of a deterrent when it takes decades and the death is relatively painless, screw civilized, make the death penalty scary as hell!

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2017, 06:12:58 pm »
I want to see a reciprocal death, death penalty. We might actually see some benefit of deterrence returned to the death penalty if people knew you were gonna be executed in the same manner that the murder was committed. It's not so much of a deterrent when it takes decades and the death is relatively painless, screw civilized, make the death penalty scary as hell!

That notion has a great deal of attraction.  Pity it will never happen because it would be cruel and unusual by design.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2017, 06:24:07 pm »
They are all guilty of murder, with Honie also guilty of raping his ex-girlfriend’s mother in front of her grandchildren.

Too bad you can't kill this rotten son of a bitch twice.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2017, 07:38:04 pm »
They are all guilty of murder, with Honie also guilty of raping his ex-girlfriend’s mother in front of her grandchildren.

Too bad you can't kill this rotten son of a bitch twice.

We can.

Use all blanks for the first attempt.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2017, 07:41:25 pm »
We can.

Use all blanks for the first attempt.

I'd hate to be the poor guy responsible for cleaning up the mess that would make in the condemned's pants, but other than that I think that would be an awesome idea.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2017, 07:41:46 pm »
Bring back the guillotine.

I guarantee that would stop the murder rate, on death row.

Do we still use old sparky?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 07:42:26 pm by Freya »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2017, 07:45:27 pm »
That notion has a great deal of attraction.  Pity it will never happen because it would be cruel and unusual by design.

I agree but note that the "people" who earn the death penalty are not constrained by that constitutional prohibition.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2017, 07:48:21 pm »

I would favor the old Apache law.  Just turn them over to the family of the victims and walk away.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2017, 07:49:27 pm »

General point of order - states are barred from using cruel and unusual punishment.

There is no bar whatsoever to using cruel OR unusual punishment.  :tongue2:

Firing squad with blanks makes sense to me. Guy gets convicted of multiple murders - each conviction gets the firing squad. Use blanks until you randomly use live ammo. Doesn't have to be the last shot - the randomness will give him a small taste of the fear and terror his victims had.

Oceander

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2017, 07:58:05 pm »
And just how would all y'all bloodthirsty sorts feel after a quickie gruesome execution when it turns out that the person just torn to bits was actually innocent?

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2017, 07:59:48 pm »
If they're innocent, you apply exactly the same penalty the those who got his conviction. Gives a little accountability.

Oceander

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2017, 08:02:36 pm »
If they're innocent, you apply exactly the same penalty the those who got his conviction. Gives a little accountability.

So the jury gets the firing squad as well because they made a mistake?

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2017, 08:04:30 pm »
Nope. They watch. Both times.

Oceander

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2017, 08:06:54 pm »
Nope. They watch. Both times.

They were the ones who convicted an innocent person, so by your statement they should get the same treatment.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2017, 08:11:48 pm »
And just how would all y'all bloodthirsty sorts feel after a quickie gruesome execution when it turns out that the person just torn to bits was actually innocent?
Apparently you wish to change the subject from method of execution, to the death penalty itself.

Most would argue that after arrest, modern scientific evidence, witnesses, lawyers, judges, juries, appeals galore, DNA and more, we get the right guy/gal.

And the standard is "beyond a reasonable doubt," not preponderance of evidence.

So if you electrocute them, drug them, hang them or shoot them, the result is the same.

And it is used only very rarely for the most heinous of crimes.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Wingnut

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2017, 08:21:46 pm »
Neck stretching is still a far better spectator sport.  Firing squads are okay... but nothing like seeing those boots knocking as they twist in the wind and the smell of soiled pants. Both the recently departed and a few of the witnesses!... Another plus is The kids love it too.  No Gun shots to scare em.

Oceander

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2017, 08:21:55 pm »
Apparently you wish to change the subject from method of execution, to the death penalty itself.

Most would argue that after arrest, modern scientific evidence, witnesses, lawyers, judges, juries, appeals galore, DNA and more, we get the right guy/gal.

And the standard is "beyond a reasonable doubt," not preponderance of evidence.

So if you electrocute them, drug them, hang them or shoot them, the result is the same.

And it is used only very rarely for the most heinous of crimes.

I don't know why I'm still amazed everytime you post without reading what you think you're responding to.  First, the issue of quick and brutal executions was already raised by others and was in fact the current topic. 

Second, false convictions happen all the time, including in death penalty cases, and all it takes for my purposes is one false conviction.  You can blather on about levels of proof and etc, but it comes down to this:  execute a wrongly convicted person and you have sanctimoniously killed an innocent human being.  That is not a mistake that can be fixed.  Wrongful imprisonment can be compensated for, wrongful killing cannot. 

Pontius Pilate's hands were stained, despite his most concerted efforts to wash them clean. 

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2017, 08:41:35 pm »
Bring back the guillotine.

I guarantee that would stop the murder rate, on death row.

Do we still use old sparky?

Four states still use it, but they all offer the alternative of lethal injection.  Nobody has chose the Chair over the Needle.  Other states still have the chair available as a fall-back plan if the lethal injection becomes impossible, as some anti death penalty activists are attempting.  It will be ironic if the activists force states to return to the Chair, no?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_chair

I suppose the Gas Chamber is in the same situation.  On a somewhat related note, I read that some states are experimenting with using Nitrogen as a method.  The idea is to purge the oxygen from a gas chamber, replacing it with pure Nitrogen, thus asphyxiating the condemned.  I don't think it's going well.

I will NOT comply.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2017, 09:47:37 pm »
I don't know why I'm still amazed everytime you post without reading what you think you're responding to.  First, the issue of quick and brutal executions was already raised by others and was in fact the current topic. 

Second, false convictions happen all the time, including in death penalty cases, and all it takes for my purposes is one false conviction.  You can blather on about levels of proof and etc, but it comes down to this:  execute a wrongly convicted person and you have sanctimoniously killed an innocent human being.  That is not a mistake that can be fixed.  Wrongful imprisonment can be compensated for, wrongful killing cannot. 

Pontius Pilate's hands were stained, despite his most concerted efforts to wash them clean.

There was a guy released here after doing 20 years. He didn't get the death penalty. They got a "confession" from him after 72 hours of continuous interrogation. They broke him. He told me all about it. My point being juries will do the convenient thing. The cops who forced the confession, and the prosecutors who forced the trial should all do 20 fking years. DNA exonerated him.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2017, 10:31:25 pm »
They were the ones who convicted an innocent person, so by your statement they should get the same treatment.

No. They were the ones listening to the evidence provided by the prosecutor and the defence. The ones presenting the evidence, should it be weak or false, should pay.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2017, 10:48:09 pm »
No. They were the ones listening to the evidence provided by the prosecutor and the defence. The ones presenting the evidence, should it be weak or false, should pay.

Yup.  I was sort of surprised to see that specious argument (The Jury's at fault, maybe they should be executed) even raised.  My immediate thought was the same as yours.  The jury didn't frame the condemned, the prosecutors did.  As a practical matter, if we ever did start taking retribution on Juries the pool of jurors would dry up like a mud puddle in the hot Arizona sun.

All that said, we really need to get a lot rougher on Prosecutors (and cops) who frame innocent people deliberately.
I will NOT comply.