Author Topic: Utah to Use Firing Squads in Upcoming Executions  (Read 2873 times)

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Utah to Use Firing Squads in Upcoming Executions
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2017, 10:51:44 pm »
Yup.  I was sort of surprised to see that specious argument (The Jury's at fault, maybe they should be executed) even raised.  My immediate thought was the same as yours.  The jury didn't frame the condemned, the prosecutors did.  As a practical matter, if we ever did start taking retribution on Juries the pool of jurors would dry up like a mud puddle in the hot Arizona sun.

All that said, we really need to get a lot rougher on Prosecutors (and cops) who frame innocent people deliberately.

IMHO we need to get a LOT tougher on ALL public officials that abuse their office.  All of them from dog catcher on up!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2017, 10:54:38 pm »
Oceander wrote above:
"Second, false convictions happen all the time, including in death penalty cases, and all it takes for my purposes is one false conviction."

OK, I'll take ya up on that, in front of all the other members of this forum

Please document the last American execution of a person whom was later proven to be innocent of the crime of which he/she was convicted.

I'll be waitin' for yer answer!

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2017, 11:09:31 pm »
General point of order - states are barred from using cruel and unusual punishment.

There is no bar whatsoever to using cruel OR unusual punishment.  :tongue2:

Firing squad with blanks makes sense to me. Guy gets convicted of multiple murders - each conviction gets the firing squad. Use blanks until you randomly use live ammo. Doesn't have to be the last shot - the randomness will give him a small taste of the fear and terror his victims had.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NwP3wes4M8

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2017, 11:09:37 pm »
Oceander wrote above:
"Second, false convictions happen all the time, including in death penalty cases, and all it takes for my purposes is one false conviction."

OK, I'll take ya up on that, in front of all the other members of this forum

Please document the last American execution of a person whom was later proven to be innocent of the crime of which he/she was convicted.

I'll be waitin' for yer answer!
And he certainly cannot document the countless lives saved due to the deterrent of using the death penalty either.

His is a losing cause.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2017, 11:11:51 pm »
I ain't saying juries are off the hook. If you know what you are doing is wrong but don't have the fortitude to stand then what are you?

spit
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Applewood

« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2017, 11:14:34 pm »
And just how would all y'all bloodthirsty sorts feel after a quickie gruesome execution when it turns out that the person just torn to bits was actually innocent?

I would rather have this than what we have in PA.  Here, death penalty =life in prison, maintained at the taxpayers' expense. 

This past week, the killer of a state trooper was sentenced to death.   He's in his 30s, I think.   Which means he could be living off the taxpayers for another 40 years at least. 

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2017, 11:34:04 pm »
That notion has a great deal of attraction.  Pity it will never happen because it would be cruel and unusual by design.

And it would be unConstitutional.    A quality of justice is that it be merciful.   A life for a life,  yes, so justice demands,  but there is to be no triumphalism or sadism to it.   The State is playing God,  it is a dispensation to be exercised with humility.   
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 11:38:59 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2017, 11:57:43 pm »
And it would be unConstitutional.    A quality of justice is that it be merciful.   A life for a life,  yes, so justice demands,  but there is to be no triumphalism or sadism to it.   The State is playing God,  it is a dispensation to be exercised with humility.   

Damned right it would be unconstitutional, as it should be (immoral as well).  It goes to the essence of "Retribution vs Revenge."   A humane execution is Retribution, killing in like manner would be Revenge.  We embrace the former and reject the latter.

Glad we can agree on something.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2017, 12:02:00 am »
Yep, playing God is to exercise humility, like sucking out the brains of an innocent life prior to its opportunity to be born.  Wonder what the poor child was guilty of anyway?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2017, 12:13:47 am »
Yep, playing God is to exercise humility, like sucking out the brains of an innocent life prior to its opportunity to be born.  Wonder what the poor child was guilty of anyway?

Nother thread. Just sayin'.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2017, 12:14:17 am »
Damned right it would be unconstitutional, as it should be (immoral as well).  It goes to the essence of "Retribution vs Revenge."   A humane execution is Retribution, killing in like manner would be Revenge.  We embrace the former and reject the latter.

Glad we can agree on something.

:beer:
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2017, 12:56:39 am »
Nother thread. Just sayin'.
Yeah, but those who condemn the lack of humanity in executions of those who have willfully killed others at the same time look the other way when an innocent is put to death.

There is a lot of hypocrisy there, especially when the more pious ones say things like "false executions" prohibit the usage of capital punishment. 

In 100% of abortion cases, the baby is not guilty.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2017, 12:58:48 am »
Yeah, but those who condemn the lack of humanity in executions of those who have willfully killed others at the same time look the other way when an innocent is put to death.

There is a lot of hypocrisy there, especially when the more pious ones say things like "false executions" prohibit the usage of capital punishment. 

In 100% of abortion cases, the baby is not guilty.

I agree with that.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2017, 05:59:17 am »
That notion has a great deal of attraction.  Pity it will never happen because it would be cruel and unusual by design.
Certainly no more cruel than what they did to their victim(s), and only unusual because the practice is not commonplace.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis