Author Topic: Ayaan Hirsi Ali: Female genital mutilation and what we're really talking about beneath the weasel words 'genital cutting'  (Read 760 times)

rangerrebew

Ayaan Hirsi Ali: Female genital mutilation and what we're really talking about beneath the weasel words 'genital cutting'

By Ayaan Hirsi Ali

Published April 28, 2017
Fox News

The recent news that a grand jury in Michigan has indicted three people, including two doctors, for female genital mutilation is a welcome development. As the first ever prosecutions of this crime in the United States, the case shines much needed light on an underground human rights abuse that has been going on for too long. Female genital mutilation has been deliberately covered up by those practicing it here or sending their daughters overseas during summer break to be mutilated outside of the law.

Yet, ham-fisted attempts to appear culturally sensitive by the likes of the New York Times reporting on this story will push these issues underground once more. The newspaper’s Health and Science Editor wrote that referring to female genital mutilation as ‘genital cutting’ is less ‘culturally loaded’ and will help to bridge a gap between those who practice FGM and those who campaign against it. In her eyes it’s a case of Africa vs. the West.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2017/04/28/ayaan-hirsi-ali-female-genital-mutilation-and-what-were-really-talking-about-beneath-weasel-words-genital-cutting.html

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
This isn't just one kind "of cutting" -- there's much more involved than you might think.

Read the article to find out the details.

This lady is about the only good thing ever to come from Somalia.
She's earned her place in The West.
And of course, islam regards her as a great enemy.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
This isn't just one kind "of cutting" -- there's much more involved than you might think.

Read the article to find out the details.

This lady is about the only good thing ever to come from Somalia.
She's earned her place in The West.
And of course, islam regards her as a great enemy.
I did. It's hideous. This lady is a true advocate of women's Rights. Anyone who approves of this 'religion of peace' should think again.

But there are those around who might assert that this only affects a very few people, and since I'm not one of them I shouldn't be concerned.

(I am not one of those, and I'm not a fan of mutilating people for fun and profit, either.)
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis