Author Topic: Trump Called Erdogan to Congratulate Him on Referendum Results, Sources Say  (Read 6096 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Turkey is only important for one reason - the Bosphorus. While they control that, they're NOT going to be kicked out of NATO, no matter how they behave.

It's a classic example of hydraulic despotism applied to international relations.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
@Emjay, I like you and respect you, but that's a very odd statement, given who and what Erdogan is.

I know Erdogan is a tyrant but Trump will have to deal with him and Trump knows it.  Making that call was just a political gesture and not necessarily indicative that Trump likes or respects the guy.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I know Erdogan is a tyrant but Trump will have to deal with him and Trump knows it.  Making that call was just a political gesture and not necessarily indicative that Trump likes or respects the guy.

Like Kim Jong Un?

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
@Sanguine

It's no so much that she's defending Erdogan as it is she's displaying her automatic defense of anything Trump does or says.

Thanks for interpreting my feelings, TRG.  I was reading my diary yesterday to try to find a date I needed and I'd forgotten how much I was in a mire of depression because of Trump's impending victory.  At that time, I almost wanted Hillary to win to avoid Trump.  I tell you this because I am not a Trump fan.... quite the opposite.

The fact is I had a bit of an epiphany after Trump's victory. I felt so very joyful that Hillary and the Obama clan were no longer in power.  And then, Trump proceeded to do some things that I liked ... make some very good appointments, etc.

I know he's a big jerk, but right now, he's OUR big jerk and I intend to support him when he does something right and refrain from criticizing him over minor things that are more annoying than substantive.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Like Kim Jong Un?

Nobody is like Kim Jong Un, but we have to live in a world with leaders we despise unless we want to take on the task of overthrowing them.  I don't.

Online libertybele

Your opinion is that making the call was a political gesture on Trump's part; his past actions in praising other dictator or dictator like leaders would indicate otherwise.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Your opinion is that making the call was a political gesture on Trump's part; his past actions in praising other dictator or dictator like leaders would indicate otherwise.

Like who, when and where?

Look, Saddam Hussein was a horrible dictator who killed his own people by the thousands. 

We took him down and some people here are still whining about it.

Choose your battles.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Wow. Erdogan solidifying his dictatorship deserves no "congratulations" from a free country and it is hardly a "knee jerk" reaction to call it what it is.

You are witnessing the collapse of a once modern democratic country sliding into a Islamic hell hole. And our president congratulating Erdogan's further grip over it - but that is a-okay with you... It is "sensible" and all...

DB... what exactly do you think Trump should do about Erdogan?  Think it through and try to keep your knee still.  Most people have given up attempting to take out despots in middle eastern countries because they just find worse despots.

geronl

It's hard to fault the logic of this.   Whatever one thinks of Erdogan,  he didn't "seize" power,  he was granted it by the vote of the Turkish people.   It is wise to accept the world as it is,  and make the best of it.

After a massive purge of his opposition, they have a clean and fair election? lolol

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Nobody is like Kim Jong Un, but we have to live in a world with leaders we despise unless we want to take on the task of overthrowing them.  I don't.

I hear you, Emjay, but there are enough similarities for it to be a reasonable comparison.  Go read what Erdogan did to soldiers he suspected of not fully supporting him after the fake coup that he set up.  Then come and tell me if he's not a brutal tyrant and particularly to his own people. 

geronl

And just this morning we get word of Edrogan having journalists arrested.

No surprise at all

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Rivergirl

Hardly thought there were any honorable people left in Turkey who hadn't already been jailed.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
It's hard to fault the logic of this.   Whatever one thinks of Erdogan,  he didn't "seize" power,  he was granted it by the vote of the Turkish people.   It is wise to accept the world as it is,  and make the best of it.

uh huh

I've been outside trying to scrape that off the bottom of my shoe. You have to fight evil every step of the way. Every step in all of its forms.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Trump shouldn't be patting Erdogan on the back.

Because they ARE a member of NATO Trump should poking Erdogan in the eye with a sharp stick.
When he opens his yap to complain, Trump should poke that stick in there, too.

With the rate Erdogan is going we are going to be in Turkey all right. But not as an ally.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline DB

DB... what exactly do you think Trump should do about Erdogan?  Think it through and try to keep your knee still.  Most people have given up attempting to take out despots in middle eastern countries because they just find worse despots.

Emjay, it is one thing to work with a despot for larger goal. It is another to openly praise them for a further victory of an iron fist over their country. That praise further crushes all those who are resisting in that country. We were once considered a beacon of light for freedom. Now when we need something we'll sell our soul. No thanks.

Offline DB

Trump admired Kim Jong-un - http://gawker.com/donald-trump-really-admires-the-incredible-way-kim-jong-1752024211

...and Saddam - http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/02/16/donald-trump-s-insane-praise-of-saddam-hussein.html

...and Putin - http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/donald-trump-hell-fine-russian-president-vladimir-putin/story?id=35872623

...and Gaddafi, and Mussolini, and more.. - http://www.businessinsider.com/dictator-donald-trump-praised-saddam-hussein-gaddafi-mussolini-kim-jong-un-politics-2016-7

...at that, it wasn't long ago you, yourself, were disgusted by his comments about Saddam and Kim Jong-un and mocked his supporters for giving him a pass (would be OK with all that except killing a puppy). http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,220601.25.html

Past performance is a good indicator of future performance... But it was all ignored or rationalized away...

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
I hear you, Emjay, but there are enough similarities for it to be a reasonable comparison.  Go read what Erdogan did to soldiers he suspected of not fully supporting him after the fake coup that he set up.  Then come and tell me if he's not a brutal tyrant and particularly to his own people.

He is a brutal tyrant and I wish the world were rid of him.  It hurts me to think about him and hurts me for the people who live under him.

The same was true of Hussein.  Do we want to do that again?  I don't want to put our own troops in danger to overthrow a madman anywhere in that area of the world.  They always find other madmen to take the place.

So...I guess we have to co-exist the best way we can.  Unless you can think of an alternative.

Offline DB

He is a brutal tyrant and I wish the world were rid of him.  It hurts me to think about him and hurts me for the people who live under him.

The same was true of Hussein.  Do we want to do that again?  I don't want to put our own troops in danger to overthrow a madman anywhere in that area of the world.  They always find other madmen to take the place.

So...I guess we have to co-exist the best way we can.  Unless you can think of an alternative.

The point is Trump doesn't have to openly praise these vile people. The issue isn't that he either has to praises them or drop bombs on them which is how you're framing it. Those are not the only choices available - by far.

Offline DB

I have a question for you. Can you imagine Reagan praising Erdogan for his most recent "victory" if he were president right now? Or even Bill Clinton for that matter?

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
13 dimensional chess?  That's the only thing that makes any sense.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39

I see two guys who thought nothing of tossing their own citizens into concentration camps and one guy who did everything he could to save his island nation from the NAZI Hoard.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

geronl

This is not a case of one or the other. Not praising a tyrant for grabbing even more dictatorial powers doesn't mean we have to invade the country.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
13 dimensional chess?  That's the only thing that makes any sense.

Don't know about "13 dimensional", but more like common sense.

Turkish airspace is a necessary asset for the USA in any Middle Eastern conflict.   
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald