Author Topic: Bumble bees are surprisingly innovative  (Read 679 times)

rangerrebew

Bumble bees are surprisingly innovative
« on: April 08, 2017, 01:27:10 pm »
Bumble bees are surprisingly innovative

By Virginia MorellFeb. 23, 2017 , 2:00 PM

Bumble bees may have small brains, but that doesn’t mean they’re not inventive. A new study shows that the insects can innovate to solve complex problems, quickly figuring out a better way to get a sugar reward. Such mental flexibility may help bees overcome human-caused changes to their environment.

“It’s a cool study, and both the authors and the bees deserve credit for their innovativeness,” says Dhruba Naug, a behavioral ecologist at Colorado State University in Fort Collins.

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/02/bumble-bees-are-surprisingly-innovative
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 01:27:44 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: Bumble bees are surprisingly innovative
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2017, 02:17:16 pm »
I'm willing to bet that it helps them overcome non-human caused changes to their environment too.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2017, 06:48:37 pm »
I'm willing to bet that it helps them overcome non-human caused changes to their environment too.

Wouldn't be a Science magazine article if it didn't find a way to mention how humans are an infection of Gaia.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline r9etb

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2017, 08:33:40 pm »
Dhruba Naug

This explains my drab name -- all the good ones have been taken.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2017, 08:55:29 pm »
Wouldn't be a Science magazine article if it didn't find a way to mention how humans are an infection of Gaia.

Actually there wouldn't be nearly as many honeybees in the world if it weren't for humans.

The old farmer down the road from me makes a lot of sense putting "colony collapse" into perspective and offers an plausible explanation.

He says that when he was a kid in the 1930s every farm had beehives. He said it was a natural part of farming like raising chickens, a few pigs, and cows etc. It was part of basic sustenance farming and bees produced a low cost sweetener the same as tapping maple trees for syrup.

These days its pretty rare for people to raise bees but it does appear that the numbers are growing a bit. In fact there is a bee supply store in Napoleon now right next to the livestock auction.  http://napoleonbeesupply.com/

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2017, 08:59:05 pm »
This explains my drab name -- all the good ones have been taken.

LOL!