Author Topic: Trump White House Is Getting Things Ready For A Second SCOTUS Vacancy  (Read 1954 times)

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Re: Trump White House Is Getting Things Ready For A Second SCOTUS Vacancy
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2017, 02:56:50 am »
Thinking Ginsbeg will retire during a Trump administration is pure fantasy... :whistle:

I'd never heard the theory about why she didn't retire during Obama.  If it's true, that is a credit to the old broad.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2017, 04:55:10 am »
You really think Ginsburg will retire?

I think Ginsburg died two years ago.  Once we can prove it, we can replace her.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2017, 06:22:01 am »
She plans to :thud: in an election year, thereby turning out the base like Scalia.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2017, 07:33:18 am »
I don't think Ginsburg has any intention of retiring. Yes, she's elderly, battled cancer and recently lost her husband, but IMHO her 'job' on the bench is what's keeping her alive; it gives her a purpose for living.  The old broad is definitely in much better shape than I am; it should  be noted she has a workout regime; she can chest press 70 lbs and was able to do 20 push ups for her 80th birthday!

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/02/rbg-ruth-bader-ginsburg-workout-personal-trainer-elena-kagan-stephen-breyer-214821
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 07:41:31 am by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2017, 09:08:30 pm »
I don't think Ginsburg has any intention of retiring. Yes, she's elderly, battled cancer and recently lost her husband, but IMHO her 'job' on the bench is what's keeping her alive; it gives her a purpose for living.  The old broad is definitely in much better shape than I am; it should  be noted she has a workout regime; she can chest press 70 lbs and was able to do 20 push ups for her 80th birthday!

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/02/rbg-ruth-bader-ginsburg-workout-personal-trainer-elena-kagan-stephen-breyer-214821

If that is what's keeping her alive ... and it probably is ... then why push her out.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2017, 09:13:59 pm »
If that is what's keeping her alive ... and it probably is ... then why push her out.

Because she sleeps on the bench instead of listening to the arguments. 
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline libertybele

« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2017, 10:57:27 pm »

Just a little tidbit on the SCOTUS. It seems they spend more time throwing out cases rather than hearing them.  No wonder Ruth sleeps...

The Supreme Court hears three types of cases:

2/3 are cases appealed from lower federal courts
    1/3 are cases appealed from state supreme courts
    Rarely, they hear cases that have not been previously heard by a lower court, such as between one state's government and another.

The justices decide which cases they will hear, about 80 each year. They decide another 50 without hearing arguments. The cases they choose usually address constitutional issues or federal law.

The Supreme Court gets about 7000 requests to hear cases per year, so there are many cases that don't get heard. If they decide not to hear a case, the decision of the lower court stands.

http://www.civilrights.org/judiciary/courts/supreme.html

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2017, 02:04:15 am »
Just a little tidbit on the SCOTUS. It seems they spend more time throwing out cases rather than hearing them.

Yes, I am aware. I fail to see how that justifies sleeping on the job.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2017, 02:09:53 am »

Let sleeping hags lie.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline libertybele

« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2017, 02:23:15 am »

Geesh ... next time I'll use the silly emoji.  :silly:

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2017, 02:24:02 am »

Might not be a bad thing. Just don't wake her when writing opinions.

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2017, 03:04:38 am »

Actually in 90% of the cases the Justices have all ready made up their minds from the briefs that have been submitted, oral argument is a bit of a dog and pony show...

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2017, 06:45:20 am »

It doesn't and she should retire.  I was just feeling a bit of misplaced sympathy for her.  I'm over it now.

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2017, 10:28:57 pm »
You are assuming a lot about Goresuch

What I'm assuming is that Senator Mike Lee is telling the truth about the Gorsuch decisions he's read.

According to Lee, Gorsuch is anti Chevron, and that, over time, can be as devastating to the Super State as what Fat Man and Little Boy did to Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Chevron Deferrence: Your Guide To Understanding 2 of Today's Supreme Court Decisions

https://lawblog.justia.com/2012/05/21/chevron-deference-your-guide-to-understanding-two-of-todays-scotus-decisions/

Chevron Deference Explained

Chevron deference is a principle of administrative law requiring courts to defer to interpretations of statutes made by those government agencies charged with enforcing them, unless such interpretations are unreasonable. The principle is named for the 1984 Supreme Court case Chevron U.S.A., Inc. v. Natural Resources Defense Council, Inc., which involved a dispute over the Environmental Protection Agency’s interpretation of a provision of the Clean Air Act Amendments of 1977. Under Chevron, even if a court finds that another interpretation is reasonable, or even better than the agency’s interpretation, it must defer to the agency’s reasonable interpretation.

Reasonableness in part turns on whether the statute unambiguously addresses the issue. If it does, then the unambiguous meaning controls. If the statute is ambiguous, then the court asks whether the agency’s interpretation of the ambiguous provision is based on a permissible construction of the statute. A permissible construction is one that is not “arbitrary, capricious, or manifestly contrary to the statute.” In other words, it is a very low threshold of deference.

Kill Chevron, and the actual Laws rather than penumbrated feelings return to being the controlling authority rather than unelected, faceless bureaucrat regulations.

That, and watching him feed DiFi her gluteus maximus to wear for a hat.

https://youtu.be/4KUKO5DsExI
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2017, 11:56:01 pm »

What I'm assuming is that Senator Mike Lee is telling the truth about the Gorsuch decisions he's read.

According to Lee, Gorsuch is anti Chevron, and that, over time, can be as devastating to the Super State as what Fat Man and Little Boy did to Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

That was most informative. Thanks for the post.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 11:56:35 pm by bigheadfred »
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline libertybele

« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2017, 12:08:08 am »

Chevron Deferrence: Your Guide To Understanding 2 of Today's Supreme Court Decisions

https://lawblog.justia.com/2012/05/21/chevron-deference-your-guide-to-understanding-two-of-todays-scotus-decisions/

Chevron Deference Explained

Chevron deference is a principle of administrative law requiring courts to defer to interpretations of statutes made by those government agencies charged with enforcing them, unless such interpretations are unreasonable. The principle is named for the 1984 Supreme Court case Chevron U.S.A., Inc. v. Natural Resources Defense Council, Inc., which involved a dispute over the Environmental Protection Agency’s interpretation of a provision of the Clean Air Act Amendments of 1977. Under Chevron, even if a court finds that another interpretation is reasonable, or even better than the agency’s interpretation, it must defer to the agency’s reasonable interpretation.

Reasonableness in part turns on whether the statute unambiguously addresses the issue. If it does, then the unambiguous meaning controls. If the statute is ambiguous, then the court asks whether the agency’s interpretation of the ambiguous provision is based on a permissible construction of the statute. A permissible construction is one that is not “arbitrary, capricious, or manifestly contrary to the statute.” In other words, it is a very low threshold of deference.

Kill Chevron, and the actual Laws rather than penumbrated feelings return to being the controlling authority rather than unelected, faceless bureaucrat regulations.

That, and watching him feed DiFi her gluteus maximus to wear for a hat.

https://youtu.be/4KUKO5DsExI

Great post!  Thank you!!

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2017, 12:11:04 am »

She can nap because she has all her decision pre-ruled in a special book.....