Author Topic: House Republican Moderates Will Destroy the Senate’s Legislative Filibuster  (Read 833 times)

Offline corbe

House Republican Moderates Will Destroy the Senate’s Legislative Filibuster

By Erick Erickson  |  April 6, 2017, 05:00am  |  @ewerickson

You would think that the Senate could control its own rules and preserve the filibuster, but House Republican moderates in the so called “Tuesday Group” are laying the ground work to kill the Senate’s legislative filibuster.

Republicans and Democrats together have wiped out the filibuster on nominations, but for now neither side is willing to get rid of the filibuster on legislation. That is all about to change thanks to those House Republican moderates.

Contrary to the attacks from the Wall Street Journal editorial page, the President’s twitter feed, and establishment Republican pundits, the House Freedom Caucus members have been very clear in what they want. They have not moved goal posts.

They want the eradication of Title I of the Affordable Care Act. They want to eliminate the essential health benefits that require men to buy insurance for their impossible pregnancies. They want to end the individual mandate. They also want to end the insurance and employer mandates.

The moderates in the House not only refuse to support ending those things — things they all campaigned on eliminating, but the moderates want to expand Medicaid and grow government.

Here is how the moderates are going to get rid of the Senate filibuster.

Right now, Democrats are looking at the Republican moderates and understand that the GOP could repeal Obamacare with 51 votes in the Senate through reconciliation. Even with a 51 vote margin, the GOP is incapable of doing so because the moderates really support Obamacare.

The Democrats need no further signals that they can expand government with the assurances that the GOP will never walk it back even without the Senate filibuster.

Right now, the filibuster is the only thing stopping the expansion of government at an even higher rate. But it is also the only thing that stops the rollback of expanded government when conservatives are in charge. The Democrats in the Senate are witnessing a GOP unable to roll back any part of government with 51 votes and a GOP that does not want to really roll back the government. They have no more incentive to keep the filibuster once they take back the Senate, House, and White House.

They know now that they can scrap the filibuster, create massive new government entitlements, and rest assured the GOP even with 51 votes will never undo what they have done.

<..snip..>

http://theresurgent.com/house-republican-moderates-will-destroy-the-senates-legislative-filibuster/

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
I'm not a dumb guy, but I can't figure out what the hell he's saying in there.

Offline LonestarDream

I am with you .. Lots of game theory in there.
(?) Trump Realist    (*) Trump believer   (?) Never Trump,   Which are you ?

Offline LonestarDream

The Democrats in the Senate are witnessing a GOP unable to roll back any part of government with 51 votes and a GOP that does not want to really roll back the government. They (the dems) have no more incentive to keep the filibuster once they take back the Senate, House, and White House.

I get it now.  WITH the filibuster , you have Ted Cruz doing the green eggs and ham routine.

And WITHOUT the filibuster (Current reconciliation process as a model/case study) Conservatives can not roll back big government.

So this article anticipates the elimination of the filibuster once the donks take over again...

THEREFORE, Conservatives should COMPLETELY get rid of the filibuster NOW-- in anticipation of the break down of the prisoner's dilemma ....

Make sense?

@Maj. Bill Martin
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 05:37:12 pm by LonestarDream »

Offline r9etb

I think he's saying that the if the House moderates vote as a bloc, and decide to team up with the House Democrats, they can effectively block any legislation that comes from the Senate, or prevent House legislation from making it to the Senate.

So it's a "filibuster," in the sense that these moderates will become deal-makers.

An awful lot of assumptions there...

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
I think he's saying that the if the House moderates vote as a bloc, and decide to team up with the House Democrats, they can effectively block any legislation that comes from the Senate, or prevent House legislation from making it to the Senate.

So it's a "filibuster," in the sense that these moderates will become deal-makers.

An awful lot of assumptions there...

If he wanted to argue that they were creating a House version of the filibuster, I'd get that.  But how does that "destroy the Senate legislative filibuster?

Offline LonestarDream

If he wanted to argue that they were creating a House version of the filibuster, I'd get that.  But how does that "destroy the Senate legislative filibuster?

What he saying is that The Senate will do away with the filibuster once the dems take it back.

Offline r9etb

Beats the hell outta me....