Author Topic: Bill Nye: Global Warming Could Be Solved By Cows Genetically Engineered To Cut Less Farts [VIDEO]  (Read 1115 times)

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
Andrew Follett
The Daily Caller
March 29, 2017

Global warming could be solved by genetically engineering or breeding cows to fart less Bill ‘The Science Guy” Nye said in an interview Tuesday.

“Agriculture researchers are going to produce or breed farm animals that produce less methane by changing the bacteria that are in their stomachs,” Nye said on BigThink. “To get all the way down to a plant based diet might be tricky for a lot of people. However, it seems like a good idea.”
More

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAPf9qtpipI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAPf9qtpipI

« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 04:27:43 pm by Machiavelli »

geronl

Just let me guess he is anti-GMO food and can't see the hypocrisy. I'd be surprised if he's not anti-GMO

EDIT: He used to be anti-GMO, now he's not.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 06:17:37 pm by geronl »

Offline LateForLunch

• GOTWALMA Get Out of the Way and Leave Me Alone! (Nods to Teebone)
That fool Nye is the last person I would listen to about anything. He is even worse than a complete ignoramus, because an ignoramus simply lacks information. A mendacious lunatic like Nye must UNLEARN all of the malicious nonsense he believes before would even be on the same level as a complete ignoramus.

Anyone who casually suggest tweaking genetics in the biosphere to "fix things" (aka change things permanently that they personally think are bad without having any compelling, objective evidence to support that belief) are not only insufferably stupid, but horribly, lethally dangerous.

Nye should be locked up in an oubliette for his and everyone else's own protection. That self satisfied smirk along with that asinine, faggy bow tie make me want to sew wasp eggs under his eye-lids, dose him with ketamine,  toss him into a deep, deep hole with a bag full of tarantulas and give him a .38 with only one bullet. 
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 03:13:31 pm by LateForLunch »
GOTWALMA Get out of the way and leave me alone! (Nods to General Teebone)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Does he have even the foggiest clue how cow's digestive systems work? Don't sound like it.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
I vote for the Bill Nye bovine butt plug solution.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Does he have even the foggiest clue how cow's digestive systems work? Don't sound like it.

Doubt it. He's Bill Nye The Fake Science Guy.
The Republic is lost.

Offline LateForLunch

Just as he has no grasp of physical geographical science or climatology and yet makes dramatic pronouncements about AGW and the like, so having complete ignorance of animal physiology will not deter him from making equally emphatic, confident declarations about altering cow genetics to make them stop emitting methane as a by product of normal digestion.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
So if instead of eating cows we eat the plants won't human emissions rise? Has anyone run the math on that?
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

First they came for the cows,.........
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Suppressed

Adding Seaweed to Cattle Feed Could Reduce Methane Production by 70%
That's equivalent to taking India’s CO2 emissions off the map.
http://www.sciencealert.com/adding-seaweed-to-cattle-feed-could-reduce-methane-production-by-70
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
Adding Seaweed to Cattle Feed Could Reduce Methane Production by 70%
That's equivalent to taking India’s CO2 emissions off the map.
http://www.sciencealert.com/adding-seaweed-to-cattle-feed-could-reduce-methane-production-by-70
I'll get you'd get a lot more iodine in the beef, but last time I checked seaweed doesn't grow on the open range. Anybody know of any tumble seaweed varieties?
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline Suppressed

I'll get you'd get a lot more iodine in the beef, but last time I checked seaweed doesn't grow on the open range. Anybody know of any tumble seaweed varieties?

Well, we could just give the animals bromoform directly.   

I wonder whether chlorinating their water supplies (perhaps with humic acid addition?  Someone help me on the chemistry!) would have a significant effect.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Offline LateForLunch

Well, we could just give the animals bromoform directly.   

I wonder whether chlorinating their water supplies (perhaps with humic acid addition?  Someone help me on the chemistry!) would have a significant effect.

You'd have to be VERY careful with that. Chlorine promotes formation of tri-halomethanes (chloroform)en vitea and other potentially harmful chemicals in the water itself such as dioxin and PCB.

Chloroform and those other chemicals are all linked statistically with an elevated risk of various types of cancer. Maybe the cows or their owners won't care about that but then, the change in their metabolism might carry over into their products (meat, milk).

That's one reason that whenever possible it's probably better to drink water that has had most of the chlorine removed by filtering.

It's also probably a good idea to obtain information about the likely biochemical/physiological consequences of changing what cows might ingest from a scientist who does not have a vested political or corporate interest, such as someone who is employed by a chlorine manufacturer or is beholden to any political party for funding their livelihood with research-grant money. 

Ecoparanoids / far leftists are notorious for trying to force changes that fit their political template without doing enough research into the possible unforeseen consequences of their actions. They have already done untold damage to the economies of European nations and some U.S. states (like Mexifornia, New York, New Jersey, West Virginia and others) by forcing their reckless paranoia down the throats of a credulous, uninformed or apathetic population under pretext of "stopping climate change" PTUI!

I should probably also point out that I'm most definitely NOT accusing Suppressed of having that motivation, 'just responding substantively to the suggestion he raised.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 05:57:57 pm by LateForLunch »

Offline Suppressed

You'd have to be VERY careful with that. Chlorine promotes formation of tri-halomethanes (chloroform)en vitea and other potentially harmful chemicals in the water itself such as dioxin and PCB.

Uh, that's the point.  Bromoform is one of the chlorination byproducts.

The safety of bromoform itself is questionable, so perhaps the seaweed is.  I was being somewhat tongue-in-cheek, somewhat serious, considering the mechanism of the seaweed.
+++++++++

Online roamer_1

Bill Nye is an idiot.

Online roamer_1

I vote for the Bill Nye bovine butt plug solution.

I dunno... Seems to me roundup would be a whole lot harder with em floating around up there...  :shrug:

Offline LateForLunch

Uh, that's the point.  Bromoform is one of the chlorination byproducts.

The safety of bromoform itself is questionable, so perhaps the seaweed is.  I was being somewhat tongue-in-cheek, somewhat serious, considering the mechanism of the seaweed.

Ah, forgive me. This is a fairly well-informed bunch on this site with very, very few exceptions.  I should have known. 'Seems obvious now. 'Not a bad joke, really!  :laugh:
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 07:40:32 pm by LateForLunch »

Offline goodwithagun

Liberals always make up the stupidest solutions. In this case, they've made up a stupid problem as well.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Oh, blow it out your $$$, Nye.

Offline Suppressed

Ah, forgive me. This is a fairly well-informed bunch on this site with very, very few exceptions.  I should have known. 'Seems obvious now. 'Not a bad joke, really!  :laugh:

:beer:
+++++++++