Author Topic: Why are Muslims in Birmingham portrayed as folk devils?  (Read 546 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Why are Muslims in Birmingham portrayed as folk devils?
« on: March 27, 2017, 02:45:26 pm »
Why are Muslims in Birmingham portrayed as folk devils?
Imran Awan  Friday 24 March 2017 22:09 UTC

This week, my home city of Birmingham has been in the media spotlight for all the wrong reasons. Birmingham has been depicted as a place of hatred and intolerance where terrorists are born.

This image of Muslim communities appears to be rooted in the narrative that Islam is a barbaric faith and Muslims are part of the problem, not the solution. In fact, Muslims in Birmingham are being portrayed as bad, dangerous and folk devils.

Throughout the week, I have been involved in interviews with the media, discussing the recent tragic events in Westminster that led to the death and injuries of dozens of people. However, despite by best efforts to show the positive contribution Muslims in Birmingham make, I am constantly reminded of the brief, i.e. “Why are so many terrorists coming from Birmingham?”

These views are reinforced by this week’s headlines which began with the Daily Mail asking: “So how DID Birmingham become the jihadi capital of Britain?”...

Continued: http://www.middleeasteye.net/columns/why-are-muslims-birmingham-portrayed-folk-devils-1299486374

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: Why are Muslims in Birmingham portrayed as folk devils?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 01:35:15 am »
"This image of Muslim communities appears to be rooted in the narrative that Islam is a barbaric faith and Muslims are part of the problem, not the solution. In fact, Muslims in Birmingham are being portrayed as bad, dangerous and folk devils."

"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."
- George Orwell

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Re: Why are Muslims in Birmingham portrayed as folk devils?
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 01:55:38 am »
Why are Muslims in Birmingham (UK) portrayed as folk devils?

Oh.... I don't know:

Paranoia?  /sarc.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775