Author Topic: George Washington’s Failed Romances and Long Marriage  (Read 985 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
George Washington’s Failed Romances and Long Marriage
« on: March 14, 2017, 01:40:37 pm »
George Washington’s Failed Romances and Long Marriage
Marvin Olasky

Posted: Mar 14, 2017 12:01 AM

Valentine’s Day and Presidents Day were only eight days apart this year, but widely separated in how we perceive them: V-Day brings cards, chocolates, and roses, but P-Day brings to mind portraits of an old, unsmiling George Washington suitable for framing in schoolrooms and government buildings.

Washington in real life, though, went through a series of romances beginning when he was 16. That’s when he sent a sonnet to one young lady, Frances Alexander, with lines that could go on a valentine: “Why should my poor restless heart / Stand to oppose thy might and power / At last surrender to Cupid’s feathered dart.”

more
https://townhall.com/columnists/marvinolasky/2017/03/14/george-washingtons-failed-romances-and-long-marriage-n2298157
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Joe Wooten

Re: George Washington’s Failed Romances and Long Marriage
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 02:45:09 pm »
Surprise! Surprise! Surprise!

George Washington was a human male and not some old angry white slave owner with o human emotions......

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 03:12:36 pm »
Interestingly enough, Its believed that British General John Graves Simcoe wrote the first actual Valentine's day card to  Sarah 'Sally' Townsend.

On the TV series they show him writing it to Anna Strong.

@CatherineofAragon

Silver Pines

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 04:42:56 pm »
Interestingly enough, Its believed that British General John Graves Simcoe wrote the first actual Valentine's day card to  Sarah 'Sally' Townsend.

On the TV series they show him writing it to Anna Strong.

@CatherineofAragon

@Cripplecreek

He certainly did.  He's going to leave behind those losers in Setauket who don't appreciate him to do great things in Canada.  Richard Woodhull with his "amateur" slur won't be the one with a national holiday in his honor.   :laugh:

I'm still laughing over the dog named Sweetlips, lol.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 04:56:15 pm »
@Cripplecreek

He certainly did.  He's going to leave behind those losers in Setauket who don't appreciate him to do great things in Canada.  Richard Woodhull with his "amateur" slur won't be the one with a national holiday in his honor.   :laugh:

I'm still laughing over the dog named Sweetlips, lol.

His first meeting with the Queen's Rangers is still a favorite scene.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4x1FW1qLBQ

Historically speaking he was a true bad ass as well as being accused of some pretty brutal atrocities but I'm not going to refight that war against a man who became the Canadian version of George Washington.

Silver Pines

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 08:31:16 pm »
His first meeting with the Queen's Rangers is still a favorite scene.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4x1FW1qLBQ

Historically speaking he was a true bad ass as well as being accused of some pretty brutal atrocities but I'm not going to refight that war against a man who became the Canadian version of George Washington.

@Cripplecreek

That's one of the best scenes in the series.  He can break your arm with his bare hands and scalp you while maintaining perfect manners, lol.

It was also the scene that got my husband into the show.  I was watching, and he happened to walk into the room.  He stopped to watch, and after it was over, he said, "Good God."  He was hooked.